accident

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkw0417

Reaction score
I guess it was my turn. Got rear ended this morning. Little 20 year old girl didn't see me at the back of line of cars and bumped me. Just broke my motorcycle mods tail light and cracked my fender. Could have been alot worse.

Damn! Sorry to hear that. Was she at least cute?

yeah I am fine, and was able to ride the bike home with hand signals. I was just a little bump, didn't dump the bike or anything like that. Already have a new fender and tail light ordered. Should have an insurance check by Saturday.

She wasn't really cute, she was just okay. I was just happy that she admitted fault straight up and called her insurance in front of me.

All in all things could have been much worse, hell I will probably end up pocketing alittle over $200 bucks becuase I don't need the fender subframe(they are paying for one) and the motorcycle mods tail light is cheaper then the factory light.

Kind of hard to deny fault when you rear end someone.

Here in Ontario, our laws dictate you are to leave a "safe" space in between you and other vehicles - enough to allow you to stop or navigate around obstacles or events.

Basically - when you rear end someone - it's your fault.

Glad to hear that you are okay. I have that fear as I sit at a light. I feel better once I have one stopped car behind me.

Ditto to those that fear being butt-ended. In a car or on a bike, I always flash my tailights when at a stopsign or light. And hope that the driver following is not on a cellphone, and/or "under the influence". Sobering thoughts.
Cheers, Miles

Ditto to those that fear being butt-ended. In a car or on a bike, I always flash my tailights when at a stopsign or light. And hope that the driver following is not on a cellphone, and/or "under the influence". Sobering thoughts.
Cheers, Miles

Good idea..I'll start doing that.

Glad to hear you're OK dkw!

I hate the vulnerable position we're in at lights & stop signs. I installed a couple Custom Dynamics sequential led light bars which flash 5 times before staying on when the brakes are applied. When a car comes up to me at a light I just release the brake and re-apply it and the light bars flash 5 times again.

http://www.customdynamics.com/knight_rider_led_light_bar.htm

I drove truck for a few years and got into the habit of tapping the brake and releasing just before I need to start braking. Kinda like Danny's but only one flash and performed manually. I watch my mirrors like a hawk when sitting at a stop light and try to leave myself a way to escape if the car coming up from behind isn't slowing to my liking.
I also found that if you "wiggle" the steering wheel a little towards the car pulling out of a side street that driver will almost snap to attention, jam on the brakes, then look to see what the hell you are doing! If they don't look at you and they still are moving forward the time is now to start making plans for avoidance! Same with someone talking on a phone behind you, if you make a little "wiggle" when slowing down they tend to focus on what you are doing. Then hopefully they realize that you are slowing or stopping and start paying attention.

Yeah I generally flash my brakes when sitting if I see a car coming up behind me. The light had already turned green and I was thinking about moving forward and stopped watching behind me.

She never tried to give a BS excuse or anything and was very willing to call the insurance. Even more so when the sherrif told her I had to the option of not filing a report if she called and admitted fault.

I went with no report because apparently even if you are the victim in an accident it adds points on your license, so I was informed.

I went with no report because apparently even if you are the victim in an accident it adds points on your license, so I was informed.

Here in Ontario even though she was at fault it wouldn't matter. We have "no fault insurance" here which essentially means that you get hit from behind, she gets ticketed, and your rates STILL go up because you had to file a claim. Was sold to the people here as a way to keep insurance rates down, but as always the insurance companies have found a way to soak us for more $$$$$:bang head: Thank goodness you don't get points on your license as well:biglaugh:

Getting hit from behind on a bike is my worst fear. With cell phones and texting, peoples minds just aren't on the road like they should be. Some people can drive just fine while on a cell, but others cannot. Our Police officers here drive around with their cell phones glued to their heads....what kind of message are they sending to our kids? How well can they be "patrolling" looking for crimes, with a phone in their ear? OK off my soapbox. Glad your accident was just a tap!

For those of you that like attention, Back Off makes a brake light modulator that flashes your rear lights a preset amount of times when activated. I have found a cheaper imitation on ebay that works even better. You can set your flash rate and sequence all yourself and its very easy to wire up. Check out this url below and get one. Better SAFE than sorry!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brak...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Ride safe!

Mike

Cheers, Miles

For those of you that like attention, Back Off makes a brake light modulator that flashes your rear lights a preset amount of times when activated. I have found a cheaper imitation on ebay that works even better. You can set your flash rate and sequence all yourself and its very easy to wire up. Check out this url below and get one. Better SAFE than sorry!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Brak...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Ride safe!

Mike

price is right too!

Ride safe!

Mike

NICE! Did you hook it up to the stock tail light or do you have LED's, or?? Thinking this would be a good addition to the tail light I haven't built yet.

NICE! Did you hook it up to the stock tail light or do you have LED's, or?? Thinking this would be a good addition to the tail light I haven't built yet.

I have done both. Right now my setup has the stock brake as normal, but I have the tri-LED setup behind my seat where the reflector used to be and that is controlled by this module. I am replacing my stock brake light with the motorcyclemod clear LED in the next month. A riding friend offered it to me for free! :clapping: He gets one of my T-Shirts for free I am selling on here!

http://www.vmaxforum.net/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=839

I have used the BackOff module and this cheap one is far superior since you can preset the pattern yourself for a good CHEAP MOD!!!

:punk:HAIL TO THE MOD MONKEY!!!!:punk:

I have used the BackOff module and this cheap one is far superior since you can preset the pattern yourself for a good CHEAP MOD!!!

:punk:HAIL TO THE MOD MONKEY!!!!:punk:

Hmmmmm like the homage to the Mod Monkey, but he may only give you 1/2 credit because you saved money. You may need to find something else to assist in appeasing him!

On topic, I have 2 x 8 LED blocks in my sport tail that flash for my brakes and 2 x 8 LED blocks that are solid for my running light. They are wicked bright AND wicked illegal! You need to make sure that the laws in your area allow you to have flashing red lights on the back of your bike. Just a thought.

Have to keep the "wiggle" in mind...makes sense but I'd never thought of that. I always ride with the high beam on during the day also and have the headlight aimed maybe a teeny bit higher than it should, so the highbeam is aimed directly at the average car windshield height.

In NY if you rear-end someone, it's automatically your fault. Even if you rear end some lady chatting it up on a phone who didn't "go" when the light turned green several seconds earlier, and my brakes had just failed. Nope, still my fault for not leaving "safe following distance". The cop didn't seem able to comprehend brakes failing. She kept thinking I had skidded out or was making some bogus excuse for not paying attention. She finally got it when I showed her my brake pedal lying against the floormat. I swear, they let anybody be a cop in Troy.

Back