Aftermarket sparkplug caps??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hijinx1812

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The next thing on my to do list for my max is to replace the sparkplug wires. What are some recommendations for aftermarket caps? I'd reuse the stock ones but they're in pretty bad shape. Also, does anyone know off hand what the NGK cap # is? Thanks in advance!

Do you still use stock plugs or are the stock caps resistor caps too anyway?

I use DPR8EA-9 which are 5K resistor plugs. You could use DP8EA-9 non resistor plugs if you want. I had some and they work fine.

Ok. I didn't know if it mattered with the resistor caps if we used the resistor plugs. I apparently have two of each on the '86.

I know I just got a set of NGK caps in stock. They are $20 for the set of 4.

I switched mine a few years back to NGK power sports performance red silicone ones. Never had an issue with them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 29
I have used aftermarket universal 4 cylinder ACCELL brand kits for years. No issues.

The stock wires are non suppression and get their suppression from the resistor boots.

If you use the standard old school plug caps/boots you must use suppression wire.

I tried using non suppression wire with standard non suppression boots once and the rf made my TCI act stupid. Even though I was still running the recommended resistor plugs.

Last edited:
I found the SB05F NGK caps at ngkwholesale.com I ended up paying $16.28 shipped. Sean - I wish I would have seen your post earlier. I'd rather give you the business! I'll double check with you before I order anything else.

when i bought my vmax, the po did away with the stock wires and caps, and went with 8mm car wires and boots, i just have to get the ends and screw on the end of the plug so the wires snap onto the plug. he just cut the wires to length. i have had no problems.

Back