Airbox Cover Release Key Replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klatuu

Reaction score
My Max's airbox release key was missing when I got it last August. The PO rigged up a wire to the latch, and release is effected by pulling down on the wire. I'd like to fix that by getting a replacement key, or maybe a new lock, or maybe a...?

If you have tried the ignition key and it doesn't turn, it is a common problem. Sometimes the fit is so tight there is too much pressure on the mechanism and it won't turn. Push down as hard as you can on the back edge of the airbox cover while turning the key and it should release. I have to do this on my Max.

I've said too much already... I should hopefully get the front end back from Racetech this week and be testing/ riding this weekend before I do a photo shoot and share with the class so to speak. For now... Just keep an eye out for me

Thanks for the replies.

The ignition key will not even go in the lock. This could be a clue that the lock itself is the problem. I had been living with the problem so long I forgotten. I really can't remember what the story was on the lock, as I had lots of other things on my mind the day I picked up the bike, and that is one of the details I missed.

My source of Last Resort on such things is Bike Bandit. They usually have OEM parts, but of course the price is high. A new Side Cover Lock Assembly is $94. I don't think even Nancy Pelosi would pay that much for one.

I'm happy to have a non-standard solution, I'd just like something other than "a wire hanging down" :eek:

I have a few of those but not sure if I have one that I don't have a match keyed part that I would want to sell separately. Need to email me directly so i can remember to check.

Sean

Always check with Sean Morley for parts.......if he doesn't have it , he's always got some good advice, he is one of the site supporters and vendors.

Since you can't get the key in, it may have a broken off partial key in it. I have bent keys trying to turn them before learning to push down on the cover. I would remove the mechanism and see if I could get the broken off part out (if that IS the problem). Just an idea....

Back