Any good tire sales?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought my Yamaha dealer was bad at ~$40/ tire off the bike. Once I get my garage built a tire changer is high on my list, right after a bike lift.

Hey there all;
Great timing on the discussion as I am looking to replace the original tires on my '05. Not too crazy with the selection of stock sizes from most vendors. What are the pros and cons of switching sizes? I have a 15" rear rim and a 18" front are all gen 1's the same stock size rims?

I run the Shinko 230 TourMaster 150/90V-15 on the Rear (but the 170/80V-15 will fit also) and a Metzeler lasertec 110/90V-18 on the front.
Many guys like the Metzeler ME 880's (H Rated) for the Front and Rear and some like the Shinko 230's front and Rear.
I personally like the Lasertec up front because it is V Rated and it is a High Quality Tire.
I ilke the the Shinko on the rear is because it is Very Sticky and doesn't get squirrelly in the corners like the Dunlops and some others I have tried.
I usually order my tires from the Motorcycle SuperStore:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/28/395/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx
and
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...r-Lasertec-Bias-Sport-Touring-Front-Tire.aspx

I won't run anything but the ME880's on this bike. Best quality, best handling, and if you're not constantly burning out(only when really called for haha), you'll get 7-8000 miles from a rear, nearly double that for a front.

Shinko's are a bit stickier, better for straight line launches and wheelies, though I've heard some mixed things about uneven wear and needing tons of weight to balance them. But you can almost buy two Shinks for the price of one Metz, so your call.

Go with the 170/80-15 rear. I'd stick with the 110 front, if for nothing else the 120 will screw up your speedometer due to the different profile height.

110*.9 = 99mm
120*.8= 96mm

Doesn't seem like much but that works out to be about an inch difference in the circ of the tire, the 120 is smaller and will tend to make the speedo over-read slightly.

I've been runing the Shinko T230 too - love 'em. Had 170/80-15 on rear, 110/90-18 front.

For my new bike I've gone back to the 150/90 rear, but only because of Oz compliance rules..

I won't run anything but the ME880's on this bike. Best quality, best handling, and if you're not constantly burning out(only when really called for haha), you'll get 7-8000 miles from a rear, nearly double that for a front.

Shinko's are a bit stickier, better for straight line launches and wheelies, though I've heard some mixed things about uneven wear and needing tons of weight to balance them. But you can almost buy two Shinks for the price of one Metz, so your call.

Go with the 170/80-15 rear. I'd stick with the 110 front, if for nothing else the 120 will screw up your speedometer due to the different profile height.

110*.9 = 99mm
120*.8= 96mm

Doesn't seem like much but that works out to be about an inch difference in the circ of the tire, the 120 is smaller and will tend to make the speedo over-read slightly.

right idea, wrong numbers. the front 120 shinko is a 120/90 which = 108mm

Yea, Bike Bandi.t and the Motorcycle Super Store have been very good to me.
The local shop gives me shit about not buying tires from him,at inflated prices (I know he has to make a living too, but he goes somewhere else for powder coating). So, I started changing them myself and using Dyna- beads too. He murdered my wheels anyway both times I went there. It's not all that hard. And, Garrett has a machine now, so that's the only place I'm going for mounting if I get tired of doing it.
Steve
punk0000.gif

Back