Any Michigan gurus that can help me out?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before we start saying head gasket, are you sure the oil isn't dripping down or running down to that spot from higher up? I think you posted that the bike had a stage 7 set up. Make sure the oil isn't dripping from the puke can, or check that it even has one. Under hard acceleration, oil can be forced up out of the motor and dumps in the puke can, if it isn't there it will leak down the side of the motor.
The clicking is your fuel pump. If you have a stuck float, it is going to keep running. Put the handle end of a screwdriver against the carb bowl and tap the screwdriver with a hammer. This is usually enough to free up the float. If it isn't, then you will need to pull the carb rack out. This is not as hard as it sounds. There are lots of posts and tutorials of it on this forum or we can talk you through it.
But first, work on 1 problem at a time. Pick the problem you want to work on, and we will help you out.

Well, I'm not a guru but I'll give you some opinions. First off, nothing will get fixed if you're frustrated. Take a break, for a day or two if needed. A clear mind will find a problem much faster than a frustrated one. There have been quite a few late nights in the garage making NO progress only to come back the next day and the answer is right there.

Oil Leak- Clean off the oil that is on thee now. Take of the faux tank. Sounds like you have stg 7 carbs. You should have a braided line from the oil fill hole (down by your right heel) up to the carbs. Also, in between the cylinders down on the block you will see a black tube that is the crankcase breather. Follow these two lines and see where they go. Maybe you have a catch can. Maybe you don't. See if either of these things is creating an issue. Check the valve covers.

Fuel Issues: As everyone noted, it sounds like you have a stuck float. You also mentioned the bike runs like crap everywhere. I would just pull the rack. Observe your settings for all the jets, needle clip/shims, and the a/f screws. Clean the shit out of them, adjust the floats, replace anything that may be needed. Pay close attention to rubber tip of the float needle and the float needle seat of the offending carb. Could be worn or dirt/varnish, etc. Post your findings o the carb setting here and your elevation and someone can get you a ballpark figure on rectifying it if necessary.

After all that throw the carbs back on. Cycle the on/off switch to fill the bowls. If the fuel pump never quits clicking (the pump cliks on startup, v boost whirrs) then follow dave's link on the fule pump diaphragm fix.

If you end up needed a head gasket you better find a guru cause I can't help you with that, LOL.

GOOD LUCK!

There are a couple of guys in the Detroit area that might be able to help you through this. First one that comes to mind is a new member here, Damon, he has probably forgotten more about the VMax than most know and he lives quite close to you. I will give him a shout and have him check out this thread and go from there. From your pics it looks to me like you have a leaky valve cover gasket. The puke can for the stage 7 would be in between the cylinder heads and any oil would end up there. Your leak is on the front of the engine so that is where I would look. If it was leaking bad enough out of the puke tube to hit up there you would have oil everywhere not just by the motor mount.

There are a couple of guys in the Detroit area that might be able to help you through this. First one that comes to mind is a new member here, Damon, he has probably forgotten more about the VMax than most know and he lives quite close to you. I will give him a shout and have him check out this thread and go from there. From your pics it looks to me like you have a leaky valve cover gasket. The puke can for the stage 7 would be in between the cylinder heads and any oil would end up there. Your leak is on the front of the engine so that is where I would look. If it was leaking bad enough out of the puke tube to hit up there you would have oil everywhere not just by the motor mount.
I agree with Jim, if Damon has the time, he definatly has the ability. Damon is a great guy so you'd be in good hands there. I live in the U.P. over 5 hours away and I'm definatly not a guru of any sort! Jack of all trades master of none!:biglaugh:
Tackle the problems one at a time as was said before, knock one out then work on next issue. Before you know it you will have a sweet running Vmax.

Thanks for the tips guys!! I am going to start digging into it tonight...Not one to usually get frustrated, but have our big ride of the year in two weeks, and just sold a perfectly good Sprint to buy this:bang head: Thanks! And the offer still stands if anybody lives locally! :biglaugh:
________
discuss vaporizers

Last edited:
Just don't let Damon ride one of his bikes to your house. You'll want one of them... lol

He's a wrencher!

Taking it over to Damon's Sunday morning. he has been more than helpful and accomodating over the phone..This place rocks..Will bring my camera and take pictures of what happens..Thanks guys!! To be continued:biglaugh:
________
Ford XP Falcon picture

Last edited:
Back home! Damon sure does know his stuff, thats for sure! :punk: It was all I could do to not drool on his 85' Max, just somethin about it I loved...Anyway....What we found

The good....Stuck float in cyl 3. helped out with some of my plumbing issues, synced all my carbs, and magically tapped the carb and the float release....Goodtimes

The bad...Noise sounds like a rod bearing...So, I think I am going to get to work on that...Any advice from the collective before I get buried doing this? It doesn't sound like toooooo bad of a job.....Famous last words :damn angry:
________
full melt bubble hash

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back