Are Wheelies that bad for the max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ransom82

Reaction score
Ok, so stupid. Controlled, but stupid. I pulled out pretty hard tonight at a stop light. I burned almost all the way through 1st. When i hit second.. i pulled the front tire about 2' off the ground for about 30 to 50 feet. When i came back down, It was kinda hard. I didnt feel any metal to metal hits... Just hard cushion on the forks. I have progressive springs and a holeshot fork brace. Just how bad is this for the vmax?

:ummm:

:Nixon:

You'll be fine... it's the 3 foot drops that shake your bones!

The forks are probably weaker than most sport bikes, it is heavier, and it is probably hard on the steering bearings, but the bike is strong... flexes but strong.

The worst you can do other than wrecking it is blow a fork seal, if you came down hard enough to actually break or bend something you'd most likely include a faceplant to go with it....

With a stock suspension you can do some radiator screen/grill damage with overcompression of the forks........

Grab the next gear while you're up there and you can let it down easy while staying in the throttle.....

The safest way to wheelie is never do a clutch wheelie, just figure out where the power is and power it up, that way you usually run out of the powerband and need another gear before you can loop it....

Along with the fork seal, you might seat that stearing head bearing a little more loosening things up (been there done that)

Also be careful on how long you ride your wheelies, the engine's lubrication system dosen't like being at too much of an angle for a length of time.

Yeah, my gixxer used to have that problem. The oil would drain from the front of the engine when i would ride one out for a while. Or so i found out through a forum. You would think they would have a little better oil pick up in a sport bike. The max however, I can understand. Ok, well i rode it about 2 more miles to the house after that little experience and it seemed to ride straight and the front suspension felt normal. This was just the first time i had pulled it up and wanted to make sure it wasnt horrible.

On a side note though.... Damn that thing had some power in second gear. I was pretty much nosing over when i shifted into second and before i knew it, I was looking at the moon. Of course the 07' night train i was next to became an image in my mirror. hehe....:eusa_dance:

:th_biggun:

yep I have seen Rusty do this a couple of times.. pretty awesome. ofcourse he has turned coat on us and riding a dirt bike now...what's with that? lol ( the dirt bike is pretty cool, but don't tell him)

About the longest Wheelies I run on the Max is through third (a stock engined bike anyway). If you get the bike too high and too long it will most def do engine damage. If you have my kit or a stage seven it will even suck oil up the breather tube where the oil fill cap is.

Sean

Off subject, but I lost a remote filter on a '78 Camaro and drove it maybe 20 miles, gently cruising, before stopping at a light and turning the stereo down enough to hear the lifters clattering. Killed it immediately....

I put a filter and oil back on/in it and fired it up and found that the oil pressure went from about 70 down to about 62..drove it another 20,000 miles and when I was back in the engine the bearings showed scoring down to the copper/bronze looking layer, but catastrophic damage........

It was Castrol 20/50,... which sold me on that oil......

It also sold me on the idea of putting hose clamps on filters so that the "turnbuckle" hits something to keep them from spinning off,

It's amazing what it takes to kill some engines......

That is in no way a recommendation to do 100mph wheelies in 4th on the Max tho'

Last edited:
Back