Best aftermarket fuel filter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hey folks.

It's time to change the fuel flter on my '89. Any ideas as to who sells the best one?

Thanks.

Elimax

Mr. Gasket or the like from an auto-parts store. It's glass and has replaceable filter elements and comes with several different nipples to fit your application.

Many of us run them with good results.

Otherwise stock works as well.

Chris

I'm going to try and find a glass one the next time i swap mine out. I used stock for now.

I'm going to try and find a glass one the next time i swap mine out. I used stock for now.

If you want one of those glass ones you can have mine - I bought it for $12 at Advance Auto Parts, but I don't like it because I feel the holes in the filter element are too big.

I just got an OEM one from Python Motorsports - I feel the paper element is a better filter. :confused2:

What kind of element does the Purolator 806 suggested around here have?

Found a picture and it looks like a screen. But after calling around, no one has it and cant cross reference it.

Any idea what the stock fuel filter was rated in for microns??

Fuel filters on older carbureted engines trap particles as small as 70 to 100 microns in size. Filters for fuel injected engines trap particles as small as 10 to 40 microns in size.

Reason for my consern is the gas tank has been cleaned but I decided not to coat it after reading some bad reports of it pealing off. So it does have some rust in it.

I like the NAPA gold # 3011 . It's clear plastic with a paper element. I believe WIX makes them for NAPA.

Years ago, I read an article in a magazine in which they gave ratings for some fuel filters based on the microns of mat'l each was able to block.

At that time, AC DELCO had the best rating with their little AC454 filter. I thought it was cool in that the numbers matched the 454 in my pickup.

This last time I bought a replacment for my Max, I asked for one of the AC454Delcos and they were able to cross it to a current number, but I can't recall the exact number.

I was able to make it fit. Seems like the nipples were slightly larger than OEM, but they fit with a little push and shove. You can't see inside the filter though, as it's metal jacketed.

Back