Bigger gas tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
will have to keep that in mind for sure. howd u hook it up to drain in the oem tank?

Sorry to hijack this tread...

When a fella mounts any additional gas tanks on their bike, how would one connect it so you wouldn't have to stop and dump gas into the OEM tank?

I am strongly considering using one of the tour tour tanks, painting it black, and mounting it on a rack over the rear fender. I'd like to be able to have it either dump into the OEM tank, or have it "T" into the fuel line so it would empty the little tank first, and then pull from the original tank.

Has anyone done something similar?

excellent question. i've been wondering the same thing.

well hooking into the fuel line with a t and a little valve you could switch it after it empties the little tank, or tap a fitting into the original tank on top and hook a hose, that way it would just pull from org and extra tank will just drain into it as level goes down, your gas gauge would just show full for a lot longer. a nice An fitting and braided line to make the job look good. thats one way im sure there are tons.

well hooking into the fuel line with a t and a little valve you could switch it after it empties the little tank, or tap a fitting into the original tank on top and hook a hose, that way it would just pull from org and extra tank will just drain into it as level goes down, your gas gauge would just show full for a lot longer. a nice An fitting and braided line to make the job look good. thats one way im sure there are tons.

i'd probably perfer to tap a fitting with a valve that would easily be shut when i didn't want the extra tank. but good ideas if i ever go that route.

As for Wingrider's inquiry about dumping the gas directly into the bike's tank, this can be done by using a combination of hose clamps, PVC fittings, and gas line hose, all sizes dependant on the outlet of the aux. tank. If the tank is to be mounted on a rear rack, some mods would have to be done to the rear seat and grab bar assembly as well, to allow room for the filler hose. I have a custom-built four-liter tank under the rear seat, which dumps into the main and is filled from between the back rest, but this involved a HUGE amount of modification. I suggest you take your Goldwing on longer trips.
Cheers, Miles

As for Wingrider's inquiry about dumping the gas directly into the bike's tank, this can be done by using a combination of hose clamps, PVC fittings, and gas line hose, all sizes dependant on the outlet of the aux. tank. If the tank is to be mounted on a rear rack, some mods would have to be done to the rear seat and grab bar assembly as well, to allow room for the filler hose. I have a custom-built four-liter tank under the rear seat, which dumps into the main and is filled from between the back rest, but this involved a HUGE amount of modification. I suggest you take your Goldwing on longer trips.
Cheers, Miles

It's a given that the Wing goes on any long ride... :biglaugh:

I use Max to commute to work on the really nice days. 70 miles round trip puts me at a gas station every day. I've started to think about making a 30 gal gas caddy where I visit the gas station every week, and just top the tank off everynight when I get home. It would certainly be cheaper in the long run.

Ive got the 20 liter 5.5 gal tank from MEK. Only paid $5 for it. Works great, I can go 170 miles in town and 220 on the highway at 65-75 MPH speeds. It took about an hour to install.

Ive got the 20 liter 5.5 gal tank from MEK. Only paid $5 for it. Works great, I can go 170 miles in town and 220 on the highway at 65-75 MPH speeds. It took about an hour to install.

5bucks......lucky you

Just a couple of musings regarding the extra tanks that dump into the main tank.

It seems to me that if you had one of those tanks, such as up on the luggage rack, it would want to force gas into the main tank (a good thing). The problem I see is that the VMax main tank is vented, which would lead to the higher fuel tank continuing to drain, and eventually overfill and spill fuel from the main tank (a bad thing)

If you are going to go the route of one of the "backpack" type tanks, then I would think that you need one of the following options.

1) Select valve on the suction side of the fuel pump (main tank or aux tank)

2) "T" into the suction side of the fuel pump with a check valve between the "T" and the main tank. This would keep from backflowing and overfilling the main tank.

What would you guys reccomend for a larger tank in the stock position? (Just wondering what the best choice, a 5 gallon would be a lot better than just 4). Since I live in Montana the extra range would be great.

Ya there were a few made by different companies over the years, but all were outrageously expensive items. ($1000+)

If someone was to find a way to make plastic ones of higher capacity that replace the OEM ones without being so ridiculously expensive, they would have a seriously profitable business on their hands!

And the same is (even more) true for the Gen II bikes..

Wow, that exactrep looks like a nice piece but you guys wernt kidding about the price! Maybe next year I can get one

I use the Exactrep tank (the one that replaces the fake one) and I had Sean Morley paint it. It looks FREAKIN' AMAZING with the paint job, and takes a LOT of stress of when yer freakin' out about running out of gas.

That tank, and the paint job that Morley did, are two of the best VMax investments I've ever made.

Well worth the money, in my humble opinion.

Elimax

Back