Bigger gas tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldguy

Reaction score
This has probably addressed before, but I have a specific question that 'search' didn't reveal.
Has anyone tried the Exactrep replacement tank? I't's pricey at $800, but I plan to keep my '04 and the short tank range has always been an issue. Any thoughts, plus or minus are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jack.

Not sure if you are talking the tank for under the seat or if you are talking the tank that replaces the faux tank cover. We have one of the faux replacements in the shop right now getting ready for paint (as soon as the rest of the stuff gets here). I've never liked the looks of them but they do add more fuel.

Sean

sean have you ever thought about fabbing up replacement gas tanks to hold more? or is it too much R&D and the price would be similar to whats out there @ $700 - $1200?

Im working on the bigger tank, plan to hit the 20 liters.
Moved the batery already to my tail section.

Aftermarket bigger tanks can be bought, as mentioned 3 kind of bigger tanks.
One as a bigger faux tank cover, one as a stock bigger tank with battery relocation or another as an tail unit gas tank.

Some here:
http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/750_en.html

And plastic stock look one here:

http://193.109.190.78/e_shop/produc...d/109?osCsid=bb1baa3ed48754250dc97124b4fc9083

Preatty evry one will be pricey.

It's going to be a long effort to make them (thought I looked over this exactrep one and it uses an OEM one in the inside with the outer shell welded to it.) We even debated one to replace the rear seat (which others also offer). Personally, I don't usually mind a quick stop to fill up.

Sean

It's going to be a long effort to make them (thought I looked over this exactrep one and it uses an OEM one in the inside with the outer shell welded to it.) We even debated one to replace the rear seat (which others also offer). Personally, I don't usually mind a quick stop to fill up.

Sean

Agreed! The only people that I could see that may NEED it, would be someone in Wyoming or Montana where everything is a drive and a half to get there...

This has probably addressed before, but I have a specific question that 'search' didn't reveal.
Has anyone tried the Exactrep replacement tank? I't's pricey at $800, but I plan to keep my '04 and the short tank range has always been an issue. Any thoughts, plus or minus are much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Jack.

a friend of mine has one installed......he is completely satisfied with the 21liter version

the only negative thing was that while using a Michelin rear tyre and driving around with his wife, the tyre would touch the tank on bigger bumps (the original inner fender has to be removed permanently for the tank installation)

***add

i belive that the exactrepp tank originally comes from this guy:

http://www.schwabenmax.de/Navigation/Hauptnavigation Yamaha VMax English.htm

Agreed! The only people that I could see that may NEED it, would be someone in Wyoming or Montana where everything is a drive and a half to get there...

Up here if you were to ride to Anchorage (365miles away) you have the filling stations just about at the range limit, if you keep it about 65-75mph.

Otherwise you'll be hitchhicking to Alaska's biggest city.

Hi all:

I'm the guy with the new tank at Sean's for painting (it's the Exactrep one that replaces the fake tank on top of the airbox.) It's a beautifully made piece.

The reason I bought this tank: I took my previous Max (a 2001) on a round-the-USA trip a few years back (Vermont to Florida to San Diego to San Francisco then back across the US). 15,000 miles in 3 months.

Stopping for gas every 100 miles #$%^&* sucked the devil's you-know-whats!!!! I'm now psyched to reduce the number of times I have to find a gas station when I'm out in Hell's Half-Acre.

Elimax

I think you will like the color we ended up with for it!! Looking at a couple of weeks we think.

Sean

Hi all:

I'm the guy with the new tank at Sean's for painting (it's the Exactrep one that replaces the fake tank on top of the airbox.) It's a beautifully made piece.

The reason I bought this tank: I took my previous Max (a 2001) on a round-the-USA trip a few years back (Vermont to Florida to San Diego to San Francisco then back across the US). 15,000 miles in 3 months.

Stopping for gas every 100 miles #$%^&* sucked the devil's you-know-whats!!!! I'm now psyched to reduce the number of times I have to find a gas station when I'm out in Hell's Half-Acre.

Elimax

It's definitely got it's place... For a trip like that I'd have a connie 14 or something.

I commend you for doing that on a max.

Sean is installing a royal star 5th gear for me as I have to travel 200 to 300 miles to get to events. I'm going to give it a nice test by attending a great event in eastern New York over memorial day weekend. Google maps say's it's 867 miles one way and hopefully I can wring out over 2500 miles on my 11 day trip.
Having more fuel is always nice but being able to stretch out the fuel stops will be nice too. You could also try a venture pumpkin that wwould be installed just for the long trips.
Hmmm, I wonder how it would work if you had both the OD 5th and pumpkin?

I thought about getting a bigger tank, but then I remember that I am ready to get off after about 60 miles, anyways. Could be because I don't have one of those ?ber Morley's Muscle seats ;)

If I am going long distance, I usually end up taking the Venture...cruise control and a tunes have their perks hehehe:biglaugh:

I had this one for long trips across Northern Ontario, where the fuel stations are few and far between.

http://www.tourtank.com/ttproducts.html

Easy on and off when it's needed or not.

Mike

maxcruiser,

Which model tour tank did you have on your bike, and where did you mount it?

I'd like to have an extra gallon or two for the longer rides...although I pretty much NEED to get off the bike after 120 miles when it hits reserve the way it is currently set up. :)

Thanks for the help with this. After reading the various takes on this, I will probably leave the tank alone and use the FJR for longer rides/trips.
Jack.

maxcruiser,

Which model tour tank did you have on your bike, and where did you mount it?

I'd like to have an extra gallon or two for the longer rides...although I pretty much NEED to get off the bike after 120 miles when it hits reserve the way it is currently set up. :)

I had the 2 gal. tank - it comes with the mounting brackets that I attached to a rack on the oem Yamaha backrest. The tour tank had a shut off valve and drained into the vmax tank.

Worked like a charm and was easy to remove when not needed.

Mike

Latest posts

Back