Bike Dies on the Freeway

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wister

Reaction score
BELOW ARE ALL OF MY POSTS COMBINED TO MAKE IT EASIER IF YOU ARE READING THIS FOR THE FIRST TIME. CHECK OUT MY NEW THREAD WITH PICTURES: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=16659

Hi all, looking for some help. Twice now my bike has left me stranded on the side of the road, once while going 80 in traffic, pitch black outside and four lanes from the off ramp. To top it off, all the lights died.

I thought it was a battery issue but I have since replaced that portion and it still happened today. I will ride it, after the motor warms up the lights dim a bit and then the ignition goes. Just coasting while in gear will keep it running but obviously it is sputtering and slowing down. Once I pull the clutch in, it completely dies. Throttle has no effect.

I park the bike and it won't crank at all. Thirty minutes later I hit the starter and it fires up like nothing ever happened. I live in Southern California and this didn't become a problem until the first day that we had temps in the 70s so it would seem to me that it's a heat issue with something.

To sum it up again, the bike shuts down after 10-20miles on the freeway when it's warm and won't turnover until it's cooled after 20-30min. Then it cranks like normal. The bike is an 87 and the battery was replaced as well as the coils and the problem continues to exist. Any suggestions? I am desperate, this is my daily driver and it's affecting my work.

Did the crimp/splice fix mod, used plenty of solder, forgot to mention that. I/m sure it must be something bigger, like a part failing with the increase in heat. As I said, battery is new, COPs are installed, crimped is soldered, and I was having this problem before AND after all of the said fixes.

Both times it has happened about 15-20 miles into a ride on the freeway with wrm ambient temps (70-80). I have taken longer trips of 30-40miles when the weather was cooler and had no problems at all, so I am really convinced that this problem has to do with the heat outside

Well I was thinking it was just the rectifier but the consensus here seems to be grounding sources so I will give it a good once over. It's not a charging problem or a hot start issue. After riding 30miles to the airport and stopping for gas, the bike started back up with full choke and a little bit of throttle. The only time it doesn't start is after it does 10-20miles at full speed in warm weather. And even then it starts up after it sits for 30minutes. Thanks everyone for the help, I am impressed by the number of responses. Let me know if you have another opinion or what you think about it being the rectifier. Going to hammer away at it this weekend.

The last time it happened, I was keeping it at 75mph/5000rpm and it still had problems. The temp gauge never even gets to halfway, so I am really lost here. Seems like something is not getting sufficiently air cooled.

After it dies, until it cools, it behaves like the battery is dead. Hit the switch and the lits dim, tach swings to 4000rpm, and bike makes the sickening ticking noise. It behaves like any bike where the battery is not enough to turn the starter, but it tries.

Are there any good tutorial threads that explain bypassing the kickstand switch? Pictures would be great. Also, where the heck is the r/r? I was trying to check all my wires today. Do you guys recommend soldering the battery grounding cable directly to the mounting bolt/case? Seems a little too permanent for my liking.

Last edited:
Regulator rectifier if ya ask me, but I'm no electrical genious... However I'm one of very few of us in SoCal so keep my name in mind if I can be of any service.

the usual culprits i think are out if it fires back up once its 'cooled' down. i would almost want to say its still the battery. whats type of battery is it, hows the fluid in it if its not maint free?

It's a Yuasa, and I went ahead and got the oversized one and cut the battery box. I got it one week ago and had it on the trickle charger before doing any riding

dtoebaert-5311 is right on with this mod.....it is a must do in your situation. I you do the mod, invest in a muti temp soldering iron, the crimp/splice in question here is rather large and will require a good bit of heat. I think I used rosin core flux so the solder flowed all thru the crimped wires.

Last edited:
Any mod that increases the efficiency of the charging system on the older bikes is a must do. I just soldered the lug to the cable that is mounted next to the oil fill cap. It made a big difference on my 89, especially on a hot start. I also have done the stator, power and ground wires from the Regulator / Rectifier.. I'm running an Odyssey battery in both bikes. They hold 12.8 volts charge or slightly higher and have an 8 year plus service life... It's well worth the extra cost...

Did the crimp/splice fix mod, used plenty of solder, forgot to mention that. I/m sure it must be something bigger, like a part failing with the increase in heat. As I said, battery is new, COPs are installed, crimped is soldered, and I was having this problem before AND after all of the said fixes.

Both times it has happened about 15-20 miles into a ride on the freeway with wrm ambient temps (70-80). I have taken longer trips of 30-40miles when the weather was cooler and had no problems at all, so I am really convinced that this problem has to do with the heat outside

hmmm. i think some hot start issues were traced back to bad grounds. it'd take a look at the one near the fuel pump and oil fil.

Don't forget to check the rectifer like GREEN light BLITZ suggested also. I found my connection partially melted while doing the rectifier mod. also check ground from battery to grounding source , making sure it is clean and tight.

The way you explain it, I'm guessing something is getting hot and losing contact which causes the bike to die. Once it cools down, all is well.

I would check ALL of the electrical connections. Most of the female side of the connectors can be squeezed down to make better contact with the male side.

Chris

If it was a charging problem would the battery have the power to turn the bike over after sitting for a bit?

I'd take apart the engine run/stop switch and check the contacts and wiring to and from it. If the lights were going out when this happened I would say check the ignition switch first.

Just a guess.

I agree with what Garrett said - check the ground cable from the battery down to the engine, next to the oil fill plug. Cut the insulation away from the ends and inspect. If not soldered, do it. Solved my hot start problem.

Last edited:
Like previously mentioned by others, check all connections and grounds, but seeing that it starts after sitting (without charging the battery) than it's more than likely ECU shorting out internally. I also would check the kick stand switch. I have had that shout down my bike while riding on the highway before.

Mike

Good call Mike, I did not think about the ignition switch getting hot.......

If it was a charging problem would the battery have the power to turn the bike over after sitting for a bit?

I'd take apart the engine run/stop switch and check the contacts and wiring to and from it. If the lights were going out when this happened I would say check the ignition switch first.

Just a guess.

Last edited:
Like previously mentioned by others, check all connections and grounds, but seeing that it starts after sitting (without charging the battery) than it's more than likely ECU shorting out internally. I also would check the kick stand switch. I have had that shout down my bike while riding on the highway before.

Mike

Also good suggestions!

I bet this is the problem:

thumbnail.aspx

Electrical gremlin!

Back