Birdoprey's COP (Coils Over Plugs) Mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have my COP's with Honda wire harness. It all connects to one plug. I guess I have to cut the individual coils apart. How do I tell what color wire to hook together? They all have black with a white stripe and then the others are different colors. What are the colors on the vmax wires to connect?

Thanks
Jim

I have pics of how I made my coils posted in the thread, and in my locker/garage. also NaughtyG has several pages of how too on these with great pics. if the pics are not enough let us know.

but yes- you will have to cut up the harness.

Well today I put on my COP's. It cured many of my running problems. I suspected some coil, cap and wire problems but this was a much easier and cheaper check/fix. I didn't take off any of my coils or wires as I wanted to make sure it was going to work first. I am also very limited on the time I have to work on the bike. I just used crimp on connectors and put the caps on. I will clean it up soon. It really pulls better and reved up to redline thru the first couple gears. I am getting some breakup in the 7k+ range. I may try a 152.5 main up from the current 150. I have an early Hindle exhaust. It certianly had not run that good before. I have been troubleshooting it since I bought it. When I get time I am also going thru the wire harness and clean connections.
It just keeps getting better. Thanks for this mod information.

Cheers
Jim

150 should be about right. Make sure the valves are set right and check the float levels too.

Sean

Well today I put on my COP's. It cured many of my running problems. I suspected some coil, cap and wire problems but this was a much easier and cheaper check/fix. I didn't take off any of my coils or wires as I wanted to make sure it was going to work first. I am also very limited on the time I have to work on the bike. I just used crimp on connectors and put the caps on. I will clean it up soon. It really pulls better and reved up to redline thru the first couple gears. I am getting some breakup in the 7k+ range. I may try a 152.5 main up from the current 150. I have an early Hindle exhaust. It certianly had not run that good before. I have been troubleshooting it since I bought it. When I get time I am also going thru the wire harness and clean connections.
It just keeps getting better. Thanks for this mod information.

Cheers
Jim

I had a similar 'break-up' when I fitted my COPS. Fresh set of plugs cured it.

Thx a bunch G. BUT is there any more facts to the "burn out on the CDI "?
I really would like to do this mod ,..but I don't want to run the risk of being stranded on the road.
Is the problem only with the after market Dyna 3000 ignition?
Or do a certain type of COP have to be used ?
Hoping for a trouble free update to a possible weak area. (cracked coils).

Thx a bunch G. BUT is there any more facts to the "burn out on the CDI "?
I really would like to do this mod ,..but I don't want to run the risk of being stranded on the road.
Is the problem only with the after market Dyna 3000 ignition?
Or do a certain type of COP have to be used ?
Hoping for a trouble free update to a possible weak area. (cracked coils).

No offense, but i've answered this many times in previous posts. I know there is alot to sift through though.
So far, i've heard of NO ONE that has had ANY issues using the bike COPs with the stk V-max TCI. This includes both the 85-89 V-max's as well as the 90-up. Personally, i've logged over 1500mi with no issues. I know of two others that awhile back have logged over 2000mi each(i Believe Naughty had 2500 or more?). Does'nt mean its not possible, but there have been NUMEROUS individuals that have done the swap and i'm sure we would have heard of at least some if there were any issues.
To my knowledge, there have been at least 3 that are running the Dyna 3000 and have swapped to the COPs. All 3 have had issues blowing fuses and/or frying their Dyna units. Ragingmain is trying something that may allow it to work, but i've not heard if he has yet or if it helped at all.
So, COPs with stk TCI has worked well so far. COPs with Dyna has not.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to fill ya in on all the details.

No offense, but i've answered this many times in previous posts. I know there is alot to sift through though.
So far, i've heard of NO ONE that has had ANY issues using the bike COPs with the stk V-max TCI. This includes both the 85-89 V-max's as well as the 90-up. Personally, i've logged over 1500mi with no issues. I know of two others that awhile back have logged over 2000mi each(i Believe Naughty had 2500 or more?). Does'nt mean its not possible, but there have been NUMEROUS individuals that have done the swap and i'm sure we would have heard of at least some if there were any issues.
To my knowledge, there have been at least 3 that are running the Dyna 3000 and have swapped to the COPs. All 3 have had issues blowing fuses and/or frying their Dyna units. Ragingmain is trying something that may allow it to work, but i've not heard if he has yet or if it helped at all.

what should I look for on ebay when buying these?
what key words should I use to find some?

Page # 2 post # 20 (of this thread) has all the compatible COP's listed. Any of those with connectors and wire will work fine.

You can take the v max stock connector apart and replace with wires from your new COP's and plug it back in the max wiring.

Run a search of "Ignition Coils" here's an example of what you're looking for: Ignition Coils 06 GSXR 600 GSXR600
s.gif

Feedback: (1125) 99.4% Then you will need the matching connectors and wire to reach your stock coil connectors.

Try these "YAMAHA R1 COILS ignition plugs cap" or you can substitute Yamaha for any other Japanese bike or the brand DENSO

Ill put in new plugs tomorrow. That wold be logical since it was running rich on the carbs and bad ignition problem that the plugs have taken a beating.

I have 2 sets of COP's 1 short and 1 long. The ohm on the short is 1.5 and the long is 1.2. I was thinking of putting 2 short ones on the rear cylinders and then using 2 tall on the front cylinders. There isn't a clearance issue on the front. Would this be a problem?
Thanks again for the info on this mod. Much cheaper than coils, wires and plug caps. And lighter, looks better and extra room. I can't give a honest eval if it performs better cause my bike obviously had problems. But I love it now it just keeps getting better. :) Hope to put the plugs in tomorrow and see if I need a jet change or not.

Jim

Very much appreciated Bird,..I have been trying to stay on this thread cause it's a mod that I would really like to do,..lots of benefits. Just lose site of it every so often and get lost in the pro's and con's of it all.
Again thx for your patients and feed back.

Latest posts

Back