Bogs at low end after carb rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikebuzz

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I just acquired a 2001 V-Max that has been sitting garaged for 4 years now. It only has 9700 miles and looks perfect. The carbs were NASTY. Everything inside was gunned up and nothing would move. I took the entire thing apart and cleaned in Chem-Dip. All the parts look new and operate smoothly. I drained and flushed the tank and installed a new fuel filter, added premium fuel and sea foam. I haven't synced the carbs yet but the tool will be here tuesday. Here's the problem. At low RPM's, the bike will just bog when you twist the throttle. Its very slow reacting. When it gets up and going at anything over say, 2500 rpm's, it runs like a wild animal. It screams! But, at lower rpm's it is just a pig. I know it should jump up much faster from idle. I've changed the oil and filter as well. Any help would be much appreciated.

Buzz

I'm sure its just something I missed in the carbs. Is there somewhere I can send the carbs and have them professionally rebuilt with new parts if needed? This bike is way too nice and the miles are way too low to let it run like this the rest of its life.

Did you replace your fuel filter and take apart the pump for cleaning? If you pump junk out of the fuel pump into the carbs, you'll clog the pilot jets in no time (ask me how I know). Also, a synch will probably help with some of that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I didn't take the fuel pump apart but i did pump about a gallon of fresh clean fuel through it into a bucket before hooking it up to the carbs. the fuel was clean and new coming out.

Doesn't sound like its running on all four. Could be a circuit is blocked in the carbs....did you clean in the jet block?

Also agree the sync should be set

I'd send them to dannymax on the forum here.....he does awesome work and sets them up on a bike before shipping them back

Doesn't sound like its running on all four. Could be a circuit is blocked in the carbs....did you clean in the jet block?

Also agree the sync should be set

I'd send them to dannymax on the forum here.....he does awesome work and sets them up on a bike before shipping them back

+1 on what Tugla said, but you might want to check a few things first;

1. check eack exhaust pipe to see which one is cold imediately after start up, this will tell you which cylinder is not firing, or spray a little water on each pipe if bike is hot.

2. Remove the air box and start bike and visualy check slides for movement when turning the throttle slowly. Slides should move very freely, if not dissasemble and clean and lubricate slides and slide chambers.

3. Check to make sure you have the O-ring (disregard green arrow, but notice the O-ring just above the A/F mixture screw hole) shown in pic in place, these must be in place for slides to operate.

4. If you have disconnected coils you may have cross wired the coils, this happens all the time.

5. If you find one of the suggestions to be the problem and get the bike firing on all 4 cylinders, you need to sync the carbs so that all 4 move in sync.

Attachments

• shotgun11.jpg
    shotgun11.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 33
Yes, I would say that at-least one cyl isn't firing at idle. Sounds like you didn't get something in the low-speed circuit cleared. Did you disassemble the carbs (break them apart) and remove the small and large diaphragms, and blow-out the passageways after disassembly/soaking?

I made an executive decision. I've send Dannymax a deposit for parts. I'm taking the carbs off tonight and sending to him for a complete service. While they are gone, I'm gonna remove the fuel tank and all fuel lines and clean and treat for rust. I will actually replace all the fuel lines. Also, gonna take the fuel pump apart and clean it thoroughly. Another new fuel filter will be installed before the bike goes back in service. I would like to purchase an aftermarket fuel tank if anyone knows a source. Something that would stay rust free in the future.

I made an executive decision. I've send Dannymax a deposit for parts. I'm taking the carbs off tonight and sending to him for a complete service. While they are gone, I'm gonna remove the fuel tank and all fuel lines and clean and treat for rust. I will actually replace all the fuel lines. Also, gonna take the fuel pump apart and clean it thoroughly. Another new fuel filter will be installed before the bike goes back in service. I would like to purchase an aftermarket fuel tank if anyone knows a source. Something that would stay rust free in the future.

Apart from some enlarged-capacity $$$ tanks from exactrep or maybe Morley's Muscle, I don't think you are gonna find an 'aftermarket' tank. You might find a good used tank from someone on here. Post your want in the 'parts wanted' column. If yours only has a bit of rust, and isn't a solid mass of flaking rust, you may want to try the electrolysis method of rust removal. It's cheap, easy to do, and you may save yourself some $$.

If you decide to do the tank yourself, I suggest the POR-15 treatment. Disclosure: I haven't used it for sealing a tank myself, but I have used it for other rust-control issues, and it works. Much-better than CREEM.

Here's some reading:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27422&highlight=electrolysis

Apart from some enlarged-capacity $$$ tanks from exactrep or maybe Morley's Muscle, I don't think you are gonna find an 'aftermarket' tank. You might find a good used tank from someone on here. Post your want in the 'parts wanted' column. If yours only has a bit of rust, and isn't a solid mass of flaking rust, you may want to try the electrolysis method of rust removal. It's cheap, easy to do, and you may save yourself some $$.

If you decide to do the tank yourself, I suggest the POR-15 treatment. Disclosure: I haven't used it for sealing a tank myself, but I have used it for other rust-control issues, and it works. Much-better than CREEM.

Here's some reading:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=27422&highlight=electrolysis

The vinegar method maybe cheaper and easier for rust in this case. I used it in my heavily rusted tank it was shiny metal when I emptied it out. Then a few TSP rinses and Caldwell sealer. It's good stuff. Actually advertises that it repairs POR-15 and Creem uhoh's.

you will be happier then a pig in s@#& when u get your carbs back......danny is a bit of a maniac....lol in a good way

you will be happier then a pig in s@#& when u get your carbs back......danny is a bit of a maniac....lol in a good way

I have heard that Danny has OCD. Obsessive carb disorder :eusa_dance:

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I have heard that Danny has OCD. Obsessive carb disorder :eusa_dance:

Can't help it! I just love the greasy little bastids!! :coolgleamA:

Attachments

• 100_3229.jpg
    100_3229.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_3232.jpg
    100_3232.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 29

Latest posts

Back