Bought a v-max today

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
I bought a very clean low millage '97 V-Max today. (Silver with black pipes)

New tires on both ends
new battery
new brakes
oil, coolant, and rear axle fluid this year

Couldn't bring her home today because guy has to pay off the title. Tomarrow afternoon I'll have her and will post pics

First project is a windshield.

I like the looks of the Slip Streamer Sport S-08. They don't list the v-max in models it will fit. Has anyone mounted this shield? I would love suggestions on any others- I'm thinking I want a 4 point mount

Other then that I plan to just RIDE it until its too cold.

Welcome to the forum! Great deal, I'm sure you'll be happy with your purchase.

I bought a very clean low millage '97 V-Max today. (Silver with black pipes)

New tires on both ends
new battery
new brakes
oil, coolant, and rear axle fluid this year

Couldn't bring her home today because guy has to pay off the title. Tomarrow afternoon I'll have her and will post pics

First project is a windshield.

I like the looks of the Slip Streamer Sport S-08. They don't list the v-max in models it will fit. Has anyone mounted this shield? I would love suggestions on any others- I'm thinking I want a 4 point mount

Other then that I plan to just RIDE it until its too cold.
I'm sure you could mount this sheld on your Vmax, if you have the right parts.:welcome_sign: to the VMF.........Rusty

Attachments

• Slip Streamer Sport Shield S-08.jpg
    Slip Streamer Sport Shield S-08.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 18
I used the SlipStreamer Spitfire (that's the S-08) on my '86 a few years ago - it fit just fine. It was ok to break the wind but not enough protection (for me - 6'2") and rather noisy on long hauls.
I then went for a Slipstreamer Hellfire which offered much better coverage, see my albums for piccies.

Welcome to the club btw, your '97 sounds like a great buy!!

Thanks everyone! My Brother in law has the hellfire on his shadow. I may end up getting that (we had no problem mounting it. I just like the looks of the S-08 a bit better.

I MAY not get the bike today- looks like we are going to have rain all day. Bummer!

This is not my first v-max. I bought a new one back in '86 then another a number of years later. I'm old and living on SS now. I can't tell you how much I loved that test drive! I really loved the part where I was testing 2nd gear!

I live in SW Michigan. I94 and 26 mile if that means anything to you. That's a little north of Detroit. I have not had a bike for a number of years. This spring I got a $5 Honda CB650 that had been sitting a lot of years. I fixed that up and started riding a lot then my Brother in law bought a Shadow ('83). His Idea of "riding" is jumping on the bike and going a 1/4 down the road to someone else's house an stopping to talk for an hour or so. Most of the retired old men around us have Harleys, So I guess I can follow along behind them and pick up all the parts that fall off <BMFG>. One has a bare bike with all sorts of screaming eagle parts in it. Some how I can't wait until he tries to do a blast by on me.

Looking forward to chatting with all you and hope there are a group of you in the Detroit area.

Craig

Craig,

We could all meet up sometime in September in the Brighton area, a number of Max riders in the lower half of michigan.:clapping:

O

Hey cgswss...........There are a number of us Maxers in Mi that get together regularly, although some of us live on the west side of the state, we occasionally venture over that way and meet up with other Maxers for a day of spirited hooliganism!..........Keep an eye on the rides and hookups section of the forum.....................Tom.

I'm sure you could mount this sheld on your Vmax, if you have the right parts.:welcome_sign: to the VMF.........Rusty

Yes welcome to the forum. Everything you need is here. I have a Memphis Shades I put on for long rides in the fall. It looks like this one Rusty posted. It mounts or comes off in 5 minutes. I leave the mounts on the bars.
Steve-o

Welcome :) I too bought a vmax recently and am making my todo list for the winter.

First order of business is a manual or manuals.

I found a pdf of the official Yamaha service manual but as somebody who only knows a little about wtf I'm doing I find the Clymer/Haynes with detailed photos and explanations way more useful.

Both Clymer and Haynes books out there stop at 2003 and I have a 2006. From what I can tell here the only differences between 03 and 06 is paint.
http://www.vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen1/Pages/History/Gen1_History.htm

Anything I should be on the lookout for?

Put a Slipstream VIPER on my max. Liked it. Somehow ended up with 2 of them, one went with with the bike when I sold it, one with hardware is new in box at my place. You can compare the look of the hellfire with the viper on this site:

http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Sport/sport.html

I prefer the Viper because it is sportier on the vmax.

If you want my new in box Viper shield, will sell you mine. If you want to see pictures of my vmax with the Viper on it, private message me.

Here is the Viper on a vmax I talked about, FYI.

Welcome to our little community. All like minded about the awesome, bad-ass, american hotrod motorcycle, the Vmax!

Attachments

• Windshield 2.jpg
    Windshield 2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Windshield 4.jpg
    Windshield 4.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 22
Welcome :) I too bought a vmax recently and am making my todo list for the winter.

First order of business is a manual or manuals.

I found a pdf of the official Yamaha service manual but as somebody who only knows a little about wtf I'm doing I find the Clymer/Haynes with detailed photos and explanations way more useful.

Both Clymer and Haynes books out there stop at 2003 and I have a 2006. From what I can tell here the only differences between 03 and 06 is paint.
http://www.vmaxguru.com/Tech/Gen1/Pages/History/Gen1_History.htm
Check your PM.

PS
A Carbtune is a necessity in my opinion:
http://www.carbtune.com/

It costs less than what many shops charge for a Carb Sync. and I do mine every spring.
So it pays for it self after 1 or 2 uses.

I believe the forum has the manual on PDF you can print it to I believe or just check it out when you need it. I also think you can download it to your computer. I have an 06 also nothing but the color I believe is different.

I love riding this bike! Did get a little wet, but I didn't melt.

Attachments

• 2012-08-27 18.20.43.jpg
    2012-08-27 18.20.43.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 2012-08-27 18.21.06.jpg
    2012-08-27 18.21.06.jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 2012-08-27 18.33.28.jpg
    2012-08-27 18.33.28.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back