Bought an '05 Today, What to Mod First?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really glad im out of the mod faze like a lot of you spent big money through the years...max in stock form at this stage in life is just right

cost to date:

Cost of bike: $7k

Cost of mods: $15k:surprise:

Damn, thats a bundle. I'm about done with mine. I have a NO2 kit with a progressive controller from my old bike I'm probably going to put on it this winter.

Other then mounting my 170, and my trapps when they come in, I'm done.

I was going to go with radials, but decided to leave everything alone and replenish my savings that I drained to buy this thing.

I still have a couple of 17" gixxer wheels I'm going to get rid of. Garage sale this spring. Drag bike body, XS engine parts, and anything else I can find.

Damn, thats a bundle. I'm about done with mine. I have a NO2 kit with a progressive controller from my old bike I'm probably going to put on it this winter.

Other then mounting my 170, and my trapps when they come in, I'm done.

I was going to go with radials, but decided to leave everything alone and replenish my savings that I drained to buy this thing.

I still have a couple of 17" gixxer wheels I'm going to get rid of. Garage sale this spring. Drag bike body, XS engine parts, and anything else I can find.
tell me a little about the nos on your other bike..how often did you use it in the course of a riding season..and how harmful is it to a motor if set up correctly

I'd save them and have them modded for the Max...:thumbs up:

tell me a little about the nos on your other bike..how often did you use it in the course of a riding season..and how harmful is it to a motor if set up correctly

its a NOS kit off my drag bike, originally set up with dual metering blocks for fuel and NO2 for a dual stage setup, a small charge activated by a throttle switch then a 60hp charge activated by a pushbutton.

The 2lb bottle was hidden underneath the rear of the seat.

it worked fine, ran it an entire season without a problem. When I had it on my XS1100 I still hid the bottle under the rear of the seat, just had to hollow it out.

I only ran a single stage, button activated, 60hp shot.
Only used it about a dozen times in the course of a 3 years. I bought a used pregressive controller so I didn't feel I needed to run a dual stage anymore.

I took the bike apart to totally rebuild. I took the engine apart, to put in new bearings (had a partially clogged oil pump from ATV used on the oil pan)

and everything looked great. pistons were fine, clutch etc.

I used a fuel switch inline with the NO2 so if it lost pressure no NO2. My bike had a balanced crank, steel rods and forged pistons. I don't think I ran anymore NO2 than either of the engines could take.

I've been out of town working around the state for the past 5 years so I haven't been doing any racing, a friend of mine has a portion of my kit (everything for a single stage, minus the progressive controller) on his bike racing it for the last 3 years and hasn't taken his bike apart. its a old Z1, 1260cc

If set up correctly, ie don't give a stocker too big of a shot and use a pressure switch with the fuel pump, the modern NO2 setups are safe, providing they're just used in short bursts, 10sec or less.

of course like superchargers , NO2 will find the weakest part of a poorly built or an older ragged out motor and destroy it. But I've seen many a bike old and new take many many 40-50hp shots and many stock cars take several 75hp shots and still remain sound. I think alot of the bad press NO2 gets is, due to the ppl who use too much, or had fuel problems or flat out don't re-jet when using a dry shot of the squeeze. All of wich will give you a pain in the wallet. NO2 aint for some i've heard "you don't know how to make HP, so you use nitrous." There is a camero up here I don't know if its for sale or not, but its either the fastest or second fastest street drivin car in Alaska, its a nitrous fed bigblock and it's starting to kiss the 7 second barrior.

like I said I have a NOS kit I bought back in '89, if I had to get another one I would go with another NOS or NX, I'm really liking NX kit, but I don't have the $700+ to get one.

its a NOS kit off my drag bike, originally set up with dual metering blocks for fuel and NO2 for a dual stage setup, a small charge activated by a throttle switch then a 60hp charge activated by a pushbutton.

The 2lb bottle was hidden underneath the rear of the seat.

it worked fine, ran it an entire season without a problem. When I had it on my XS1100 I still hid the bottle under the rear of the seat, just had to hollow it out.

I only ran a single stage, button activated, 60hp shot.
Only used it about a dozen times in the course of a 3 years. I bought a used pregressive controller so I didn't feel I needed to run a dual stage anymore.

I took the bike apart to totally rebuild. I took the engine apart, to put in new bearings (had a partially clogged oil pump from ATV used on the oil pan)

and everything looked great. pistons were fine, clutch etc.

I used a fuel switch inline with the NO2 so if it lost pressure no NO2. My bike had a balanced crank, steel rods and forged pistons. I don't think I ran anymore NO2 than either of the engines could take.

I've been out of town working around the state for the past 5 years so I haven't been doing any racing, a friend of mine has a portion of my kit (everything for a single stage, minus the progressive controller) on his bike racing it for the last 3 years and hasn't taken his bike apart. its a old Z1, 1260cc

If set up correctly, ie don't give a stocker too big of a shot and use a pressure switch with the fuel pump, the modern NO2 setups are safe, providing they're just used in short bursts, 10sec or less.

of course like superchargers , NO2 will find the weakest part of a poorly built or an older ragged out motor and destroy it. But I've seen many a bike old and new take many many 40-50hp shots and many stock cars take several 75hp shots and still remain sound. I think alot of the bad press NO2 gets is, due to the ppl who use too much, or had fuel problems or flat out don't re-jet when using a dry shot of the squeeze. All of wich will give you a pain in the wallet. NO2 aint for some i've heard "you don't know how to make HP, so you use nitrous." There is a camero up here I don't know if its for sale or not, but its either the fastest or second fastest street drivin car in Alaska, its a nitrous fed bigblock and it's starting to kiss the 7 second barrior.

like I said I have a NOS kit I bought back in '89, if I had to get another one I would go with another NOS or NX, I'm really liking NX kit, but I don't have the $700+ to get one.
thanks for all that info..even thou im staying stock id love to get a setup with smallest shot or gain ..just like having an ace in the hole and something different..:thumbs up:..id love to have the bottle showing..just soi can see some of what i payed for

thanks for all that info..even thou im staying stock id love to get a setup with smallest shot or gain ..just like having an ace in the hole and something different..:thumbs up:..id love to have the bottle showing..just soi can see some of what i payed for

No problem.

Thats probably all I'm going to do with my max, a 40hp shot, with a 10OZ bottle showing.

Kinda like the ol "Sneaky pete" setup 'cept not so sneaky.

I The guy who is using my system now is willing to buy it, so I might make a deal with him to sell him the controller and the rest for a single stage setup and keep the rest and get a 10 Oz bottle and new fuel pump for the max.

Back