Broken parts and shrapnel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Over the weekend I was out for a ride with the wife. I was getting on the bike pretty hard in 1st and 2nd gear. When I shifted into third I heard what sounded like a gunshot followed by some clunks, clanks, and grinding.

I figured I snapped the driveshaft, no big deal. I got a ride home and then went back to rescue the bike. I got a chance to dig into the bike last night and assess the damage.

I pulled the differential off the bike and much to my surprise the driveshaft was intact with no signs of damage. I knew that was a bad sign.
Driveshaft OK.jpg

I removed the swingarm and found the yoke that attaches the u-joint and driveshaft just laying in there.
Vmax Ujoint.jpg

The rubber boot between the block and swingarm contained what was left of the u joint.
Output shaft 1.jpg
U joint pieces.jpg

Seeing all this damage made me take a look at the engine block in the output shaft area and sure enough, it is cracked! :bang head:
Output shaft 2.jpg
Case Crack 1.jpg
Case Crack 2.jpg
DAMN. I just got this thing running. Its been sitting in my garage the past year and a half while i pieced together a USD front end, a rear wheel from COO, and an extended swingarm and driveshaft extension from Sean. I've put maybe 300 miles on the new parts.

Sorry to hear, Mike...............at least if it was late September or something...........but early July.......SUCKS HUGE!!

aw fuck! is the case salvagable?

Damn... What year is your max?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Those were exactly my first two thoughts, G.

Bike is an '06. Just under 7K miles on it. Didn't think I was all THAT hard on it. You would think it would be able to handle a couple power shifts! I did two hard shifts riding 2-up and BANG! This shit happens.

Too much traction and power. The traction is what killed you. I would say to weld it up. I have seen it done before and you have nothing to lose. Take the output gear out, remove the oring and seal around the ujoint section, and reinstall. Bolt it all up then have the case welded. Anyone with decent tig welding skills should be able to do it.

Sean

Damn Mike! :damn angry::bang head: I'm so sorry to see you have issues after all the effort and time you put into making your bike so awesomely sweet. I wish you all the luck in finding a good fix...and inexpensive one!

BALLS that sucks. just when you got 'er back on the road. i hope it's salvageable. good luck.

Wow, I would never guess that would happen. Sean already said what I thought. Try to get the case tig welded as the case is trash anyhow and a full rebuild to fix anyway. What have you got to lose? Or just start selling parts! Your call.

I feel your pain. That just sucks especially after dumping so much coin into the bike and getting it the way you wanted it.

Just wondering do you have the DD clutch mod by any chance?

I nearly cried after viewing your post. I've been following your build closely.
I know that you are the particular type, someone who "measures twice, cuts once" and that would certainly never rush a job or cut corners.
I'll be wishing for the best case scenario - that the case welds up with no issues, and that you get your bike back on the road with as little fuss or expense as possible.

Thanks for the sympathy guys. I wasn't too happy when I found the crack but I also realize life could be a lot worse!

Thanks for the input on welding Sean. I've got a couple places I can talk to about getting it TIG'ed. Just hope it holds.

If not, I was thinking......Doesn't PCW cut that section of the block when they do their chain drive conversions? :biglaugh:

I feel bad for ya Mike! You put a lot of time and effort into your bike and like Miles said, we have all been following your build. Hopefully the repair won't be too bad. Wish I lived closer, I would come over and help crank some wrenches!

Damn Mike, that does suck. Like the rest of the guys, I hope that it can be a relatively "easy" fix.

If you to go back to shaft drive, I have that complete assembly, u-joint & all, off a low mileage engine, that you can have.

Mike

LOL, it is just a thought. I am going to persue the welding option and see what happens from there.

I'd like to know more about the new PCW chain conversions, their website doesn't have much info. Would be nice to see some good shots of the work they do to the block, frame, fuel tank, and swingarm. I hear you don't have to split cases to change the front sprocket on the new setup. Not sure if that is true or not.

Back