Buffing vs. Powder coating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Ok my max has a little wear and tear and some seems an easy fix - no rust or anything.

My scoops and my sissy bar grab rail are the first things and most noticable to me. I can prob get some pics on here but they have a really bad case of I guess oxidization. Seems to be under the lacquer. A friend of a friend does powder coating out his garage and I have seen his work and was very impressed. I could either get these parts powder coated which is pretty cheap and easy or get them buffed? Not sure how this works but have seen some nice pics around.

What you guys think about powder coating and all? I have seen this guy powder coat wheels and I would love the look of a completely blacked out max.

Thanks,
MG

Ok my max has a little wear and tear and some seems an easy fix - no rust or anything.

My scoops and my sissy bar grab rail are the first things and most noticable to me. I can prob get some pics on here but they have a really bad case of I guess oxidization. Seems to be under the lacquer. A friend of a friend does powder coating out his garage and I have seen his work and was very impressed. I could either get these parts powder coated which is pretty cheap and easy or get them buffed? Not sure how this works but have seen some nice pics around.

What you guys think about powder coating and all? I have seen this guy powder coat wheels and I would love the look of a completely blacked out max.

Thanks,
MG

I've heard buffing is an on-going thing.....once the protective clear coat is buffed off it will oxidize rather quickly, and will require regular attention. I have a p/c'd sissybar and think it looks pretty good.

The scoops are easy to either p/c or paint. Here's a pic of a set I painted flat/gloss black w/lacquered letters.

Attachments

• 100_1523.jpg
    100_1523.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 40
p/c all the way. no maintenance, hard as shit! i've slipped with a screwdriver on a p/c part and didn't make a scratch!

Removing the clear coat and buffing is the way I went. Chroming or powdercoating would defiantly make for less work, but I only have to buff mine once a year( during winter downtime) and metal polish during riding season to keep it looking good. It's not a chrome like shine for sure, and the metal imperfections show but it works for my limited budget.

Attachments

• IMG_0147.jpg
    IMG_0147.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 25
I like mine blacked out but I do believe you can go to far with black which causes you to lose the lines of the bike. On yours I would use the flat powder coat which isn't as flat as you think. More of a semi-gloss.

Here are some pics of mine. The sissy bar I had coated in flat black powder.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_2394.jpg
    100_2394.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0200.jpg
    IMG_0200.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 30
great looking bike chris. how do you like those brake rotors??? what make are they. think by next year i'll have to chg mine and was looking around for some.

i went the powdercoating route with mine

vmax_road.jpg

great looking bike chris. how do you like those brake rotors??? what make are they. think by next year i'll have to chg mine and was looking around for some.

galfer wavy. i just put one on my rear. i like it but they seem to be finicky with runout/warping. once i get my rear rim issue sorted out i'll see how they are.

i think chris and bill kratz have had good luck with them.

galfer has great customer service. u can also buy thru sean.

Thanks!

Yeah I bought mine from White Buffalo Racing and these are the ones specified for the Vmax not the R1 so they don't have the carriers and are one piece. I've not had an issue with them other then that they stop a lot better but that's a good thing... lol

i'll have a better idea like i said once i get my rear rim issue worke dout

oh yea they work a shit-ton better than stock. i also run galfer pads on them as running EBCs voids the rotors warranty.

i locked 'em up yesterday easily, not intentional. def better than stock

I prefer chrome myself, however another alternative is to buff the parts and then clear powdercoat them, that will take the future elbow work of having to keep the shine up.

Latest posts

Back