Busa inverted forks on a Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constantinos

Reaction score
Hey guys so the journey continues towards making the Vmax a modern machine...one of my front shocks is almost gone so there are now two possibilities. Either I rebuild the shocks or (according to my main man and mechanic) slap a pair of Busa inverted forks on the old Vmax. It so happens that I can get a good used pair for cheap so I was wondering whether anyone here has any suggestions on this mod. It will drop the front end by 5 cm (sorry for the European measurement) which is not a huge change than how it sits right now. Of course I will also need to drop it on the rear as well so as not to mess up the dynamics etc etc.

Has anyone tried this? What would you recommend?

I'm pretty sure it is not a bolt in procedure and you need a new triple tree. Also I believe it drops it more than 5 cm. I'm sure someone here can confirm or deny this.

The forks may be 5cm shorter but the 17" tire will cause more overall drop.

Let us know if you figure out a inexpensive solution.

Later, Doug

Not sure what year busa forks you plan to use but, the '08 busa forks are approx 715mm or 28.15" from the top of the fork cap to the C/L of the axle. I believe the Gen1 busa forks are 10mm longer than Gen2.

Vmax forks are approx 863.36mm or 34" from top of fork to C/L of the axle.

You will need different triple trees.

I wouldn't consider the conversion without fork extensions or a lowered triple.

Look for the folder for "Blurr" on here. He's posted pics of the first busa setup we had made though we are likely going to make our own set from scratch again.

Sean

Crap. I haven't uploaded any pictures of it with the forks on to the album! Fixed it.

Blurr and Sean, How did you guys fit the forks? Did you machine new trees using the existing neck? Did you change the rake? What kind of trail did you end up with and how does it turn?

I'm seriously looking to rake mine out and fit another fork.

Raking and using shorter forks will seriously affect the geometry. be careful when planning for that.

I've got a couple of raked frames around here. I would not suggest using any sportbike forks if doing a rake job. The pics and standard triples are de-raked to improve turn in and handling for corners. The length is already an issue and extensions are normally needed.

You would try using a set of Marauder forks which are 2" longer then the longest sportbike forks (or even longer). This will allow you to rake it out and not lose 100% ground clearance. We have a set of them here along with many of the popularly used sets so we can decide what will work the best for the conversion.

I've got a couple of raked frames around here. I would not suggest using any sportbike forks if doing a rake job. The pics and standard triples are de-raked to improve turn in and handling for corners. The length is already an issue and extensions are normally needed.

You would try using a set of Marauder forks which are 2" longer then the longest sportbike forks (or even longer). This will allow you to rake it out and not lose 100% ground clearance. We have a set of them here along with many of the popularly used sets so we can decide what will work the best for the conversion.

Why aren't we trying to start with marauder forks anyway. Would that reduce the cost of new trees or eliminate the need altogether if the steering stem could swap?

There just aren't as many cores for the Marauder available and they aren't as adjustable. BUT, the length is perfect and I'm almost thinking it will be a bolt on deal. The handlebars would need something as well as headlight unless you got all those parts too. The wheel is only setup for single sided caliper though it can be drilled on the other fork for the second caliper.

Which marauder front end are you talking about? What is its overall length? Are the trees raked?

I appreciate any input. The max is dead cool. But, the Gen1 front end sucks rocks

Back