Butterfly removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharky

Reaction score
Has anyone done it...is it possible ?
I was thinking of getting all brackets in the carbies yellow zinc plated and dont want to not plate the pivot parts attached to them.
Any thoughts ??

Yes, easily enough. Restaking the screws back in once you remove them is the hardest part.

You can also look at the 86-93 Venture carbs. They came with a lot of the small parts already gold anodized as a corrosion inhibitor and have the correct size bore already. Have Danny make you a custom adapter to move over your manual choke linkage or use the cable choke that those bikes came with and move it up somewhere else like on the handlebar (OEM venture was bolted to the bottom of the switch housing with the lever - this will bolt on the vmax but need a shorter cable).

Cool....thanks Sean.
Thought best to check before I did it...
Got them fully stripped and local place will yellow zinc all steel parts for $50 cash (boss rides bikes). I'll sandblast them first...keeps cost down.
The bike is going to be black and industrial..so the gold colour will work in nicely.
I'll do all nuts/bolts/washers the same...

Yes, easily enough. Restaking the screws back in once you remove them is the hardest part.

+1 Very easy to bend the throttle shaft doing this....also removing the oem screws very often buggers up the threads so plan on re-tapping and installing new screws.

You can also look at the 86-93 Venture carbs. They came with a lot of the small parts already gold anodized as a corrosion inhibitor and have the correct size bore already. Have Danny make you a custom adapter to move over your manual choke linkage or use the cable choke that those bikes came with and move it up somewhere else like on the handlebar (OEM venture was bolted to the bottom of the switch housing with the lever - this will bolt on the vmax but need a shorter cable).

This can be done too., in fact I currently have a set of 35mm Venture carbs with a VMax choke adapter, choke set-up works very well. Gold anodizing isn't so great tho.

Interesting Dannymax..I looked at the ends of the screws and thought they looked like the ends had been squashed somehow to make removal hard...
I'll have a careful look at one....might leave this bit as overkill...

Interesting Dannymax..I looked at the ends of the screws and thought they looked like the ends had been squashed somehow to make removal hard...
I'll have a careful look at one....might leave this bit as overkill...

They're staked to keep them from vibrating their way into the motor.

The 'squashed' end needs to be ground off flush with the throttle shaft and hopefully it won't ruin the female threads on removal....then a new screw and a staking tool and yer back in bidness.

Might's well replace the shaft seals if you decide to do this, or, like you said..."leave it as overkill.' :punk:

Careful blasting your plates. Soda blasting will keep them safe yet remove any flaws. You don't want a lot of "bite" or rough texture to these plates if zinc coating them. At least I always see them super smooth.

I think I'll play ssfe and just do the carby body connecting plates and any visible parts...like the choke link arrm etc..
Too risky doing the other bits..
Thanks for the advice guys. .dont want to wreck 'em.

Back