Buying a vmax tomorrow. Need tips

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberpunk

Reaction score
I'm more than likely going to pick up a 88 Vmax tomorrow. I'm pretty excited but I have to say that after doing alot of reading on the web I'm concerned about the handling. Most of my other bikes have been sport bikes and I'm used to them handling well.

My imeediate questions are these:

The bike has two dry rotted tires right now so that's an immediate need. What does everyone recommend? I want as beefy as a rear tire as I can get. Can they do 170 stock? I've read differing statements.

I really want black wheels but every pair I see online is super expensive. What are you guys doing, just powdercoating the OEM's?

I really want to chop the hell out of rear end and remove everything I can. Anyone have links or examples of someone who has done this?

Thanks and hopefully I'll join the awesome Vmax community tomorrow. I've wanted one every since I saw one at a bike night 7 years ago. I've been ride-less for 4 years now and the time is right.

Jim

Well, its not a sport bike and will never handle like one. Most common issue are the steering stem bearings. Next to that weak fork springs and a flexy frame. I'd say you need to service the bearings and replace the fork springs with progressive or racetech ones and put in some 15wt oil.

If you want to spend more there is a lot that can be done. It all helps but what I mentioned is the biggest bang for the buck.

Tires: 170 will fit on the rear. 110 or 120 works up front. Metzeler ME880 or Shinko Tourmaster are the most popular choices. Metz cost more, last longer, a bit harder rubber. Shinkos are cheap, hook up well, cheap made tires..... I haven't had issues with them. There are a ton of other options but these are the most popular.

Wheels: rolling stones says paint it black. You won't need new bearings if you do that. Powder coat is better but you will have to remove the bearings. You will destoy the cage bearing on the left side of the rear wheel. That bearing is around $40 for OEM.

Rear fender: Its all a matter of taste. Depends on what you like. You can do a search here and will probably find some pics of altered fenders. Some guys cut the end that bolts to the bike and keep the "duck tail" some guys chop the duck tail. You can buy an short aftermarket fender. Some guys totally remove the fender. Depends on what you like. I like the OEM fender but had the tail light and removed it as well as the metal inner fender and made a custom LED tail light. Its pretty small. You can remove it all and get a side mount for the plate and put a LED tail light where the reflector is on the rear grab bar.

Good luck with the purchase.
Check it over to see what kind of mods it has, pay attention to how it revs thru the gears, and hit it hard in 2nd gear to make sure the trans is OK.

Welcome to the forum, the Vmax is a bike like no other. As far as modifying it you need to get ahold of Sean Morley ( one2dmax) he has any part you'd ever need as well as good advice on what would work for your specific needs. Good luck, and again welcome to the best forum on the Internet. Ed

Welcome to the forum, the Vmax is a bike like no other. As far as modifying it you need to get ahold of Sean Morley ( one2dmax) he has any part you'd ever need as well as good advice on what would work for your specific needs. Good luck, and again welcome to the best forum on the Internet. Ed

+1 On that. Morley has lots of good stuff, especially advice.

It has SuperTrapp exhaust and a Stage 7 jet kit. Unsure of what else. I am told it idles rough because it is missing a throttle syncro screw. Is this a cheap and easy fix?

It has SuperTrapp exhaust and a Stage 7 jet kit. Unsure of what else. I am told it idles rough because it is missing a throttle syncro screw. Is this a cheap and easy fix?

You will need the sync screw and springs that hold the blade in place....shouldn't cost much if you can find someone who has them....check with Morley.

It might be a little tricky but maybe you can install them without removing the rack, not sure.

Which carb is it?

Vmax carbs are pretty easy to work on compared to many other bikes. Check out the carb section here on the forum. There are plenty of "sticky" threads to walk you through removal and a complete tear down and rebuild.

You may have some problems getting it to run correctly with a stage 7 kit and supertrapps. It is not recommended to install the stg7 unless you have a full, aftermarket exhaust. I'm sure it will run but probably not as well as it should. I'm sure some others can chime in on this....

So if I had to keep one or the other, which should it be? The Stage 7 or the Super Trapps?

Depends on your wallett, money talks and Bullsh#* walks. Ride it the way it is and then figure out what you want. Tons of options out there and plenty of good advice to get you there.

Have fun, Ride safe!!

So if I had to keep one or the other, which should it be? The Stage 7 or the Super Trapps?

Keep the stage 7 of course. Replace the super traps with the full exhaust of your choice. Marks exhaust is popular here and for good reason. Check the threads. Lots of choices.
Welcome to the forum too.
Steve-o

Keep the stage 7 of course. Replace the super traps with the full exhaust of your choice. Marks exhaust is popular here and for good reason. Check the threads. Lots of choices.
Welcome to the forum too.
Steve-o

+1 definitely move up not down, I personally love the sound and performance of my Kerker 4-1 full header. Nothing, in my opinion sounds as mean or makes it run as good. Ed

Back