Buying out of state

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justified

Reaction score
Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a Max from a dealership that is too far to drive to. Anyone have any experience with this process? Am I crazy to even consider it? I am looking for a 2005 low mileage model and I know that there are obviously only a limited number that are going to be available.

Just talk with them and if any questions come up, ask. Also, keep apprised of everything.
I bought my chopper from Daytona Custom Works in Fla, My hats off to them, it was a flawless transaction and shipping and it really doesn't get any farther than Florida to Alaska.

Heck I bought my Max thru the Denver paper online. I called the guy and with a few pictures and phone calls the deal was done. Then had it shipped, it was only about a 12 hr drive , but had no time to go get it.

I know that a lot of guys on the FJR site would grab their riding gear and fly to the location and then ride it home. I would consider the same on a cherry Vmax and had the time to make a fun trip home.
Sean is central to mos of us in the US, for me it would be about a 1200 mile ride. I think I could find a senic route home and make it a nice 4-5 trip.

Hi guys. I am thinking of buying a Max from a dealership that is too far to drive to. Anyone have any experience with this process? Am I crazy to even consider it? I am looking for a 2005 low mileage model and I know that there are obviously only a limited number that are going to be available.

paging rovic paging rovic.

tugla here he flew from yukon to ohio, bought a '97 sight unseen and drove it to utica ny then went to canton NY with us and then drove it back to quebec. i think it was leaking some oil and one of the carbs had a float issue but it ran pretty good all in all..

i think the more impressive part was i believe it had a stock seat!

Lots and Lots and Lots of pictures my friend. Then get a QUALITY transporter. My most recent max I got off ebay. Saw lots of pics and was delivered from Texas to Florida without a scratch on her. I also got my Harley bagger off ebay, but I flew up to Indiana and made a 1000 mile trip back home.....also a flawless bike.

It takes a leap of faith and trust. I've done this several times with cars and bikes and have yet to be disappointed. Just ask tons of questions, have the guy fire the bike up, if its a dealer, have a mechanic take it for a spin and report back to you.

If ANYTHING sounds shady, bail.

Otherwise just cross your fingers and hope for the best! :biglaugh:

+1 I second the fly and ride method.
Done this many times with bikes, cars and one truck. Most dealers are more than happy to pick you up at a local airport and bring you to the dealership to finalize the sale. I will say that I have never paid in full prior to flying to pick up the vehicle though. I usually put down enough of a deposit that the dealer/owner will hold it until I arrive for final inspection/sale. Ive always figured that leaves me the option of walking away and finding a different way home if I discovered the condition was much worse than detailed pictures showed. Or even re-negotiating price on the spot.

Sure you would be out the deposit and travel expenses, But I wont get stuck buying a "lemon" sight unseen.

+1 I second the fly and ride method.
Done this many times with bikes, cars and one truck. Most dealers are more than happy to pick you up at a local airport and bring you to the dealership to finalize the sale. I will say that I have never paid in full prior to flying to pick up the vehicle though. I usually put down enough of a deposit that the dealer/owner will hold it until I arrive for final inspection/sale. Ive always figured that leaves me the option of walking away and finding a different way home if I discovered the condition was much worse than detailed pictures showed. Or even re-negotiating price on the spot.

Sure you would be out the deposit and travel expenses, But I wont get stuck buying a "lemon" sight unseen.

1640 miles. I would be in traction for 6 months.

justified I know your Arizona but what state is the bike in. But best of luck in getting the bike 'home'.

1640 miles. I would be in traction for 6 months.

Sounds like 2 days riding to me mate :biglaugh:

Seriously though, the Vmax would NOT be my first choice to do that kind of ride on. Best of luck to you getting it home man.

interesting. What I would like to know is if you avoid sales tax? I order most expensive things from places that have zero offices in Florida. This allows me to not pay sales tax. Can this be done with vehicles?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

interesting. What I would like to know is if you avoid sales tax? I order most expensive things from places that have zero offices in Florida. This allows me to not pay sales tax. Can this be done with vehicles?

I think it varies state to state. I did have to pay Az. sales tax to the dealer.

When you register it in FL after buying out-of-state, you will pay FL state sales tax & an 'impact fee,' for cars & trucks; there is no 'impact fee' for bikes. You would be 'on the hook' for the bike state sales tax at your 1st FL registration.

I have purchased 4 bikes sight unseen off eBay. (1968 Triumph TR650, 1975 Honda CB550F, 1981 Yamaha Maxim 650 and 1997 V-Max). None were as described. All were in worse condition than stated. Pictures do not show defects. If the price is right, take a chance. If not, see if anyone you know or from this site lives there and can check out the bike.

Back