Carb #1 Butterfly gap

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
So I understand that the butterflies should be "barely not closed" when at rest. I'm guessing this is so the bike will idle. I'm wondering if there's a prescribed amount that I might be able to check with a feeler gauge so that I know that carb #1 has its fly open the right amount.:eusa_dance:(that's what she said)

Anyway. Do you guys set your bench sync with feeler gauges, and if so, what's the usual gap for #1 as it's not adjustable and everything syncs to that one. I'm on a search for an air leak there right now, but I wasn't sure of the closed throttle fly opening size. Thanks

Dave

Assuming you are referring to the master butterfly that you sycnchronise the other to?.

The other three butterfly's are synchronised to #1 (master) butterfly so that they are open the same amount as it is.

#1 is then set by the throttle stop screw and the amount it needs to be open is governed by the tick-over speed.
As each motor is different there is no correct setting, i.e. the correct setting is the one that gives you the correct idle speed for a hot motor.

To isolate your air leak puff a little starting gas (e.g. Easy Start) and if the revs rise then you are in the right area.

The Ventures use #2 carb (LF) as the initial set point.

Then Sync #1 (LR) to #2

Then do #3 (RF) to #4 (RR)

Then do #4 to #2

Does the VMax differ from this?

Gary

Dave

Assuming you are referring to the master butterfly that you sycnchronise the other to?.

The other three butterfly's are synchronised to #1 (master) butterfly so that they are open the same amount as it is.

#1 is then set by the throttle stop screw and the amount it needs to be open is governed by the tick-over speed.
As each motor is different there is no correct setting, i.e. the correct setting is the one that gives you the correct idle speed for a hot motor.

To isolate your air leak puff a little starting gas (e.g. Easy Start) and if the revs rise then you are in the right area.

+1 Actual opening isn't what you're looking for as much as getting them close to the same....use feelers gauges, tiny drill bit, whatever will work for you.

-Get the plate openings as close to the same as possible

-Re-install, start the bike and adjust your idle speed (tick-over)

-Do a final sync

ok. I think the vacuum leak was my biggest problem. My DIY manometer was sucking fluid evenly through 2-3-4 and 1 was just draining. I'll work on it again when I get a chance. Thanks, guys.

+1 Actual opening isn't what you're looking for as much as getting them close to the same....use feelers gauges, tiny drill bit, whatever will work for you.

-Get the plate openings as close to the same as possible

-Re-install, start the bike and adjust your idle speed (tick-over)

-Do a final sync
+1 on the drill bit for a quick bench sync. A running sync. is always required if anything is disturbed. It's not a bad thing to check once a year as a habit even when runniing ok.
Steve

One thing to check is making sure the valve is able to close all the way on #2. Do this by unseating the idle thumb screw all the way. On my old set I found dirt/grime on the return spring kept the valve from closing all the way so took some carb cleaner and then WD40 to clean it up.

That's what I would do - unscrew the idle screw and check all four butterflies are closing fully. The closer they are together, the better your bench sync.

Back