Carb syncronizer/manometer choices

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: motion pro syncpro

re: 'manometer fluid'

When I was 'researching' exactly what to buy, and what I could afford... I came across info that said this type of fluid, will get foamy, which will make the individual readings hard to get a grip on... That's why I waited until I could find a merc filled one... merc will not foam...making readings much more acurate....

Merc is not all that dangerous if you don't eat it...or inhale fumes if you heat it... also not good to handle it, as I hear it can be absorbed through your skin... Hell, as kids, we sometimes 'played' with 'quicksilver'... It never hurt me, hurt me, hurt me, hurt me....(slap)..ok I'm JK... Seriously, just use and store it properly, and NO problems...

Philthy

Fred... here's where I found mine... I have no idea how many they may have left, but if you want a real merc one, this may be some of the last you'll find.

They were NOT the easiest and friendliest to deal with, but at least it got here safe n' sound, and was NIB as advertised... they won't do paypal or cc's, but money orders are free in a few places.

Good luck... Philthy

http://www.saber-cycle.com/

ps for some reason, I can't get this link to work from here... just google them, then do a site search for: "carburetor synchronizer" it should come up... Philthy

I just got the Morgan Carbtune Pro. It was delivered in 4 days. Took me just 15minutes to tune the carbs the first time I ever tried it.

What a difference! Seems pretty durable because of the rods rather than murcury, and the hoses were plenty long.

http://www.carbtune.com/

Thanks unclephilthy. I was able to get into the site and the mercury meter was there.$55.00 what a deal!!! I'm pretty sure I'm going for it. Thanks for the tip on the other fluid.Gally had a great suggestion with the rod type, I will consider that option too, depending on the cost.
Fred

Here goes nuthin

Well I've decided to take a plunge this weekend (a plunge for me that is).
You may remember me. I bought a 2002 MAX a week and a half ago and it is getting 24mpg and lousy performance. It has Dale's stage 1 kit on it. After talking to him on the phone, I think I'll forego taking it to a dealership and look into the carbs myself. I just want to start out by trying to make sure everything is set exactly as Dale suggests for this jet kit. The carb synching is the main thing that has my concern. I need to purchase some sort of 4 port manometer. Does anyone have any suggestions for an economical but reliable means. Something I may be able to get locally at a parts store? I also know that the carb side covers each have 1 torx head screw in them. What size is it? One last '?' Does anyone have a copy of Dales directions/ suggestions for his stage 1 kit, (any other resources you have might be helpful as well). Thanks,

Travis

Re: Here goes nuthin

Well I've decided to take a plunge this weekend (a plunge for me that is).
You may remember me. I bought a 2002 MAX a week and a half ago and it is getting 24mpg and lousy performance. It has Dale's stage 1 kit on it. After talking to him on the phone, I think I'll forego taking it to a dealership and look into the carbs myself. I just want to start out by trying to make sure everything is set exactly as Dale suggests for this jet kit. The carb synching is the main thing that has my concern. I need to purchase some sort of 4 port manometer. Does anyone have any suggestions for an economical but reliable means. Something I may be able to get locally at a parts store? I also know that the carb side covers each have 1 torx head screw in them. What size is it? One last '?' Does anyone have a copy of Dales directions/ suggestions for his stage 1 kit, (any other resources you have might be helpful as well). Thanks,

Travis

Hey Travis,

I merged yours and all the other manometer threads together... Check it out!

Re: Homemade Sync Tool

Is that a surf board leaning up against your VMAX:confused2: I cant see the picture very well I have an old monitor

Hi All,

You got me looking into my old literature. Here's a good read. Joe Haile was one the first guys to turbo charge motorcycles and actually had a quarterly mag called Powertech. Happen to have all if anyones interested in a particular article. Didn't crop it so it you may want to copy and piece it together with tape to make it easier to read. You can make your own if you have access to the machines. Anyway here it is:

Carb_Sync_1.jpg

Carb_Sync_2.jpg

Carb_Sync_3.jpg

Carb_Sync_4.jpg

Carb_Sync_5.jpg

Carb_Sync_6.jpg

If anyones really interested in making their own... donno why. I can blow up that drawing of the aluminum piece and post that. Just let me know.

I think I hear jedi- firing up his CNC machine! :biglaugh:

Re: Homemade Sync Tool

I did a web search for homemade manometers & I found a lot of sites that show how to build your own. So I borrowed what I thought were the best ideas & combined them all to build a sync tool just for my Vmax. I bought 50 ft of 3/8" OD by 1/4"ID clear plastic tubing at Lowes for about 10 bucks. I cut the tubing in 4 equal lengths & connected them at one end with two 3-way vacuum tees to a 4 ft board. Then I added a couple oz's of ATF ( about 20 inches ) & let it settle to the bottom. Then for vacuum restrictors ( to limit the pulsations in the fluid ) I cut four 1 inch pieces of coax cable & stuffed one in the other end of each tube. Then I simply stuck a vacuum connector in the end of each tube & added a short piece of 3/16" vacuum hose to connect to the carbs. With the tool hung from a hook in my ceiling I connected the hoses to each carb then fired up the bike. The ATF rose to the top of the tube connected to my left rear cyl , so I turned that sync screw clockwise very slowly until the fluid came back down. The right front cyl tube had no fluid in it , so I turned that one counter-clockwise until the fluid came up. I kept tweaking each sync screw until all fluid levels were within 2 inches of each other. ( that's as close as I was able to get them ). MAN does my bike run better now !!! This is much more accurate than my two vacuum guages. No more hesitation & the price was right. Maybe some day I'll buy a sync-tool, but for now this works great. Thanks to all in cyber-space that posted their ideas so that I could build this.
Did you get all the supplies from lowe's?

Re: Motion Pro ?'s

The link "syncronizing Vmax Carbs" is bad on the VMF Links page??
Any other info on carb syncing?

Look above on this screen as well as the home page and you will see a button called VMF Links Look under it for syncing vmax carbs... It's in alphabetical order!:thumbs up:

I had been using a Motion Pro sunc tool, but I had trouble with it getting air bubbles in the tubes. I just got a Morgan Carbtune Pro and am much happier with it as far as accuracy goes.
:ummm:
Something that I didn't notice with the Motion Pro, or at least not as much, is that the vacuum on cylinders 1 & 2 are fluctuating maybe .5 to 1 cmHG, but the vacuum on cylinders 3 & 4 are basically completely still. Does this mean I have a vacuum leak somewhere on cylinders 1 & 2 ? When I was using the Motion Pro, all seemed to fluctuate about the same, or at least not enough of a difference that I noticed. So not sure if it is a vacuum issue on the bike, or if the Morgan Carbtune is just more sensitive. The bike runs great, so there is nothing noticeable to me that would lead me to believe there is a vacuum leak on the bike. Just seems odd that 1 & 2 fluctuate that much while 3 & 4 remain still.:confused2:

Well, with all the feedback I've gotten recently on a couple of other threads with hard starting and a slight off-idle bog, I broke down and ordered a Morgan Carbtune Pro here in the US from California Sport Touring (casporttouring.com). Price was right and, after what I've read in this thread, I can't lose. Sure beats the old, leaky, translucent unit still rattling around in the back of my tool box. I'll give that one a decent burial.

Back