Chains in the carbs????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure but if you need help im also in Pa you buy the beer and will tear that sucker down.I just did the Spacley carb sprockets AKA JETSON MOD, test rode yesterday in 25" of snow Hooking up the plow to her today!!!!

HOLY SHIT! I pulled my carb chains today and LOOK, MY MAX TURNED INTO THE BIKE FROM TRON! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!:clapping:

Attachments

• tron.jpg
    tron.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 13
  • tron1.jpg
    tron1.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 22
Wow...it's good to see a thread I created that is still going strong....carb chains are a great conversation point! :rofl_200:

I love mechanical urban legends.. I was once told that if you take apart a 426 hemi and rotate the pistons (Camside facing outwards) it will give you another 100 horses. Also that all a ford 289 needs to run is a 4 barrel and a 'short stroke waterpump'... :rofl_200: As for carb chains...... got nothing

Check this out i had a Weird Noise coming from my right rear carb ,bike had a bad stumble at 5k so i pulled my carbs and HOLY SHIT if 1 of those MOD MONKEY'S didnt Jump out and freaking ATTACK Me. Please Help me i dont know what to do!!!!!!!! JIM

an '87 huh?
he's got the only one made!
he might wanna hold onto it....chains n all!
I seriously would never ride with him...sounds like HE might have a few loose chains!

I have solved the mystery!! This is a Canadian bike (it is a fact that Canada and Europe got the 1987 model and not a myth, only the US did not get one) and we all know that our bikes were made to be modified for more HP, displacement, and better handling. :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Actually, on many old pontiac 400's you can turn the pistons 180 and it will gain some power! Old racer trick that i am pretty sure is documented.

Sean

I had a 1971 olds 442 with a 455 engine. The guy that originally rebuilt the motor put the pistons in backwards. He said It would help. There was no real way for me to tell the differance.
Tim

It also good to check your carb chains measurements. If you run them hard enough they tend to strech and can get into the combustion chamber and meet up with the piston rings. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be anywhere near when that meeting takes place! If they by chance get through that hell, you're surely going to have to replace those palladium muffer bearings no matter how polished they are!

It also good to check your carb chains measurements. If you run them hard enough they tend to strech and can get into the combustion chamber and meet up with the piston rings. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be anywhere near when that meeting takes place! If they by chance get through that hell, you're surely going to have to replace those palladium muffer bearings no matter how polished they are!

DOH!!! :doh: I shuda thunk that through. Ill get right on those chains when I get back...

hey guys i have my bike in pieces trying to pull out my carb chains, where exactly should i be looking? my garage is cold so i can only go out 30 minutes at a time

edit: 1,000 posts!!!!

I'm thinking about putting my chains back in, "I'm about a 150 lbs and I cant keep the front tire on the ground now that the chains are out!" Wheelie bars would look stupid on a street bike" LOL

hey guys i have my bike in pieces trying to pull out my carb chains, where exactly should i be looking? my garage is cold so i can only go out 30 minutes at a time

edit: 1,000 posts!!!!

It's gonna be a little difficult to get this done in 1/2 hour but....see the big peice of metal on the right hand side of the attached pic?....holding that upside down in your left hand, carefully inspect the exposed area, you're looking for a chrome 17mm plug that has 'Crb. Chns.'. stamped in it. Remove that plug and you will find a 14mm plug underneath with 'Almst Thre' stamped on, remove that, there is an 8mm plug under that....I've never been able to read what's stamped on that plug....but remove it anyway cause underneath it are your carb chains.

The odd thing is....the carb chains are 9mm in diameter, and there is only an 8mm hole to pull them out of! I've never been able to get beyond this step besides, my left arm is usually getting tired by now....perhaps someone with more carb chain experience then I can enlighten us......:confused2:

Attachments

• 100_1773.jpg
    100_1773.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 30
It's gonna be a little difficult to get this done in 1/2 hour but....see the big peice of metal on the right hand side of the attached pic?....holding that upside down in your left hand, carefully inspect the exposed area, you're looking for a chrome 17mm plug that has 'Crb. Chns.'. stamped in it. Remove that plug and you will find a 14mm plug underneath with 'Almst Thre' stamped on, remove that, there is an 8mm plug under that....I've never been able to read what's stamped on that plug....but remove it anyway cause underneath it are your carb chains.

The odd thing is....the carb chains are 9mm in diameter, and there is only an 8mm hole to pull them out of! I've never been able to get beyond this step besides, my left arm is usually getting tired by now....perhaps someone with more carb chain experience then I can enlighten us......:confused2:

You kill me...Danny......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

I think the hardest part of that procedure is trying to follow Danny's method, the rest of us are just not built to hold that "big chunk of metal" in our left hand for the inspection. :bang head:
Once you get to the carb chains in view the second difficulty is apparent, as Danny noted, try getting the typical 9mm carb chain through a 8mm hole! As many of so called Vmax experts have given up at his point I was interested on how this could actually be done.
I stayed after the Brownie Run last year and Danny confided in me that he had possibly hit upon a method and a tool to extract the carb chains! Since Danny enjoys his leisure time riding he does not want a lot of carb chain problems to show up at his door interrupting his life!
Danny did offer the following bits of information:
1) Carb Chains can be twisted and thus made to a smaller diameter.
2) The following pic of a tool that works perfecting in removing/ installing carb chains.
That is all he let out, and I think it is enough for the bright minds here to figure out the application of said tool and use the new found knowledge about the carb chains.:punk:

Attachments

• carb chain twister.jpg
    carb chain twister.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 17
I think the hardest part of that procedure is trying to follow Danny's method, the rest of us are just not built to hold that "big chunk of metal" in our left hand for the inspection. :bang head:
Once you get to the carb chains in view the second difficulty is apparent, as Danny noted, try getting the typical 9mm carb chain through a 8mm hole! As many of so called Vmax experts have given up at his point I was interested on how this could actually be done.
I stayed after the Brownie Run last year and Danny confided in me that he had possibly hit upon a method and a tool to extract the carb chains! Since Danny enjoys his leisure time riding he does not want a lot of carb chain problems to show up at his door interrupting his life!
Danny did offer the following bits of information:
1) Carb Chains can be twisted and thus made to a smaller diameter.
2) The following pic of a tool that works perfecting in removing/ installing carb chains.
That is all he let out, and I think it is enough for the bright minds here to figure out the application of said tool and use the new found knowledge about the carb chains.:punk:

Brian, thanks for posting the pic....I was looking for the tool to take one but searched high & low and couldn't find it. It wasn't until after I had written the post that I realized my tool had the optional carb chain access hole popper stopper and remained in the bottom of the 'big metal thing' to staunch the flow of oil. :doh:

As you mentioned, anyone looking at your pic can see exactly how the tool works and it's advantage in the afore-mentioned carb chain removal issue. :punk:

I see you purchased a tool equipped with the optional 'E' clip retainer/stabilizer....very nice! A huge improvement over the original, standard one, which would sometimes allow the 'E' clip to become unstable and go rocketing across the shop....never to be seen again! :bang head:

In case you need a new set of muffler bearings, this is probably the best place to find them.

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=10

They don't have carb chains yet, but do have a few other hard to find parts that we all need at one point or another.

Miek

dan i havent read up on this post but did see your pic..... are you chg the oil again on the bike or checking the air pressure in the lower frame rail????

Back