Champion = Best Spark Plug

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed, I run AC's in my Chebies. I have run splitfires (and even have one original set left from when the first came out and were using modified Autolight plugs). I think I even have a set of splitfires for my alcohol vmax dragbike.

Sean

Okay...

WHAT SPECIFIC MODEL NUMBER NGK Iridium plugs should I use???

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Thanks.

Elimax

Look in the manual... It'll tell you. I use non resistor because I have the Nology wires.

Chris

Hey Chris:

I have an '89 Max with Nology wires also.

The my service manual says, regarding NGK: "DPR8EA-9"

In my collection of older plugs, I have the following NGK's:
D8EA and D9EA.

So, which non-resistor plugs should I use?

Thanks!

Elimax (Aaron)

Alrighty then.

I'm gettin' confused.

The DP8EA-9 is a non-resistor, but ngk.com doesn't recommend it for the Max.

The DPR8EIX-9 is indeed recommended for the Max, but it is a RESISTOR plug.

In fact, the only 2 plugs the ngk.com site says are applicable to the VMax are the DPR8EIX-9 and the DPR8EA-9. These are both RESISTOR plugs.

So, 2 questions:

1) What is the logic that dictates which plug type is better to use (a resistor vs. a non-resistor)?

2) Why doesn't NGK list any non-resistor plugs as applicable to the Max?

Okay, that ends this round of questioning!

Thanks for the assistance...I'm gonna figure this out, by golly!

Elimax

In know nology lists to use non-resistor plugs with their wires but I spoke to them years ago and they said the resistors work just fine with them. They explained why the non-resistors were used but for the life of me I can't remember the exact reason. Resistors delay the firing just a little (we are talking milliseconds) which would allow non-resistors to fire sooner for a slight increase in spark advance.

Sean

Me and my family have never had good luck with champion. We restore antique tractors, and lets just say the champion plug has been the cause several times of tractors not running properly. AC Delco or NGK for me.

Japanese bikes seem to prefer Japanese plugs. Go figure. My Magna ran like ass with anything except NGK's in it. As for everything else, lawnmower, snowblower, I just find a plug that has the same reach/thread and stick it in there....I ran old BR9ES's from my old ski-doo 380 snowmobile in my Kohler v-twin tractor. Same reach, same thread, never had to touch them again...even after like 3 seasons worth of 2-stroke engine use already on them. I never throw anything out....plugs espically. A good plug will last the life of a motor.....hell, most car manufacturers only recommend a change at 100k or 150k as routine maintenance, but they're still fine. I don't get people who insist on changing out plugs constantly. If you're fouling plugs, something isn't set right, it's not the plug's fault(unless you put the wrong one in there temp wise).

The plugs in my 2 stroke 720 Sea-doo jetski have been in there for going on 5 years now. Only time I pull them is to fog the cylinders in the winter, and a few times I've rolled it and hydrolocked the motor. The nut is rusty as hell but they still work fine and I have not had any issues. For the record, that was the entire life of that motor. I killed it in 5 years....it's way down on compression and just has no nuts when you hit the gas. You know, towing tubes and skiers at WOT in an already underpowered boat.... she didn't last long, maybe 300 hours? Rebuilt it this winter. Maybe I'll put in new plugs then, but honestly they still look and spark fine.

Never replaced them on my Yamaha RX-Warrior snowmobile....getting on 5k miles on that. I popped them out of my truck to apply anti-sieze at like 70k, then re-installed them(heard the Ford 5.4's have a nasty habit of fusing the plugs in place if you leave them too long). No issues there, didn't even look worn.

Call me a cheap-ass, but I see no reason to replace things that aren't worn out, and practically will never wear out. Plugs aren't that expensive, but they're not free either.

Call me a cheap-ass, but I see no reason to replace things that aren't worn out, and practically will never wear out. Plugs aren't that expensive, but they're not free either.

I'm kinda with you on this, but you should've seen the state of the NGKs in my Max after less than a year and about 10,000 miles..

Definitely ready to be replaced! :clapping:

OK doubters, here's a dyno sheet PROVING that Champion is superior to NGK.

Attachments

• Copy of dyno 153 (Medium).jpg
    Copy of dyno 153 (Medium).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 125
Bwaaahahahahaha! Rich you never fail to entertain...

Now, I'm sure you switched on the fake NOS kit on the Champion run! Come on, own up...

Me and my family have never had good luck with champion. We restore antique tractors, and lets just say the champion plug has been the cause several times of tractors not running properly. AC Delco or NGK for me.
i agree with ya, never had good luck with champion plugs, seems to be used and work well on fords. keep them away from you GM's or Jap bikes.

OK - I've always been an NGK guy since the late 70's when my Kawi dirt bike wouldn't run on anything else, but this past week I've had a change of heart. A month or two ago I went through my carbs & replaced an air cut-off valve (thanks Mark) & did a thorough cleaning - the 'MAX ran AWESOME, but sometimes at idle when it was hot enough for the fan to be on I had an erratic mis-fire at idle. Couldn't pin it down to a specific cylinder & couldn't change it with carb adjustments. I only had a couple thousand miles on my NGK DPR8EA-9 plugs & a new set of of NGK wires, so you would think the ignition is good-to-go, right? Well, I had a similar prob with my F150 a couple of years ago, & NONE of the double-platinum this or super-iridium that would cure the problem. So I went with a basic, cheap, COPPER spark plug & it's run perfect ever since. COPPER is one of the best conductors of electricity in the world - it may not last as long as platinum, but it sure out-sparks it! Every night this week I've been running the 'MAX hard & when I roll into my garage & park it on the side stand while still running & the fan is on my tachometer is FLATLINED at 1000 rpm - never run so smooth since I've owned it. I gaped the plugs to .030" & I noticed the center electrode is a larger diameter than that of the NGK. The girls are right - bigger is better !
I hereby declare Champion RA6HC spark plugs are the most superior plugs anybody can buy for their VMAX! What do you guys prefer for plugs?

Hello mate. Can you let me know what CHAMPION spark plugs did you buy? OE073/T10 or OE083/T10? or any other?

Cheers,
Daniel

I have been using dpr8ea-9 plugs for a year in my.bike with no problem. There is also a resistor in the spark plug boot. There is a test for those in the manual and you can order those inexpensively from Ngb.

Put champions in a Buick 350, it would not run worth a hoot, romp down on that 4bbl it was like water was shooting into the cylinders. Auto lites worked great.

Back