change the looks of the vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fairing_front053011.jpg

FATWING FAIRING
Complete with all mounting hardware. Choice of 2 windshield heights: 4 inches
and 6 inches (4 inches shown).
Fairing Unpainted: $350.00

check out fatmax.com as another option!

johnp, I really like that intake set up, is it functional? Did it help???

My airbox mod leads directly to the airfilter, not to the carbs! But as Fire-medic mentioned, there are a few other options that would give you that hot-rod look (and sound)

There's some ugly bikes in those pics posted by Ninjaneer. I don't get the Super Magna and (Pacific Coast?) transforms WTF?
The red white & blue, and Jack Daniels bikes were nice(with different Paint), and don't look rediculously expensive to do.

IMHO, if you remove the scoops you've taken away the Max.
Of course, my thoughts are as subjective as the next guy's.

For transformations from bolt-ons, the Fatmax fairing kit certainly changes the lines! I like the look if you are needing some protection/storage. And, for a bit more, have Gusstaffson in FL make you a higher windscreen.

I love how my vmax rides, I could go for a bit more power, or a lot more, but the biggest issue for me right now is that it looks like a retro 80's space ship bike...I've looked online at a bunch of kits to change the looks, but they seem to make them more futuristic and often times (to my opinion) cheesy. Are there any timeless designs to tame the wackieness of the bike? I have no love for fake air scoops, the angled tail/seats/sissy bar, or the twin chrome megaphones. OTHERWISE, I love how it rides, and I'm very happy with it. And please, nobody get offended about me not liking it's style, lots of people love it, and that's cool for them, but it's just not my style

I don't think anyone would be offended. To each his own. I love my VMAX, but find some things absolutely hideous looking. The brake light and turn signals, the yellow/gold paint seem on older models, the rear wheel size. These are all things I'm in the process of changing. I can appreciate just about any mod someone took the time to do and like it all, wild to mild. I like to stay close to traditional styling with my own.
Steve-o

fairing_front053011.jpg

FATWING FAIRING
Complete with all mounting hardware. Choice of 2 windshield heights: 4 inches
and 6 inches (4 inches shown).
Fairing Unpainted: $350.00

check out fatmax.com as another option!

I could fool a lot of HD riders with that set-up ! LOL

I personally like the side scoops on my Vmax. I think that was the first thing I noticed when I saw one for the first time. I personally never saw any of the other faux tank covers I liked especially the fat max one but jmo if you hate the styling that much just buy a harley that seems to be the style your looking for. I'd like a bagger styled bike for traveling but to me it's like taking your luggage with you every time you go to the store. But like I said, "just my opinion" Ed

There's some ugly bikes in those pics posted by Ninjaneer. I don't get the Super Magna and (Pacific Coast?) transforms WTF?
The red white & blue, and Jack Daniels bikes were nice(with different Paint), and don't look rediculously expensive to do.

One IS a Super Magna, another has just the pipes (which are the best part of the Magna IMO)

attachment.php

attachment.php

Yep some are obnoxious. I personally wouldn't, even if I had the resources, turn my Max into a replica of any one of them. Just like everyone else's monkies, mine likes a different assortment of spices in the recipe and will pick out things here and there from others' builds. I just offered the pics up to establish a point with the OP that (s)he doesn't have to feel boxed into a look, feel, design, etc. and that you can do absolutely anything to Max. BTW +1 with the disfigurement of the Max by de-scooping it.

Ninjaneer, are you supporting taking the scoops off or keeping them on?? I do like that they are iconic vmax, buuuuuut If I can work them out to be functional that would be the best, I like the fatmax with the scoops/vents, do they function? I dont want it to NOT look like a v max, and I dont want it to look like a Harley.... The fatmax fairing is real cool looking and probably gets wind off of me. I would like some cruiser mufflers, the only ones that I like that I've seen so far are dirtmax's. I have a street bike, but I don't want a street bike look on it's exhaust.
Johnp, I really like the intakes and would want to do something like that to mine (that lead into the air filter and not the carbs first), but I dont want to ruin the bike if I get caught in the rain.... and your gas mask headlight is nothing short of awesome!
One idea I had was that (since the scoops are fake) I might as well stick some short rifle barrels out of them (ar or ak). The gas mask would couple with those perfectly, but I wont take your idea... Darth Vader or Optimus Prime's helmet might be cool; but matching rifles would have to be worked out for those!

I could fool a lot of HD riders with that set-up ! LOL

Yeah, if they were deaf and near-blind!

It does carry the general flavor of the batwing fairing H-D's but as-soon as you hit the starter, everyone who's a gearhead knows. For the "do-rag doo-not-wahnah-know-diddley-sh__" crew, they may be fooled. You know, the "if I have to explain my infatuation with a purchased image-lifestyle..." dudes who wear black t-shirts from another overpriced, underperforming motorcycle dealer, located somewhere...

One idea I had was that (since the scoops are fake) I might as well stick some short rifle barrels out of them (ar or ak). The gas mask would couple with those perfectly, but I wont take your idea... Darth Vader or Optimus Prime's helmet might be cool; but matching rifles would have to be worked out for those!

Sounds interesting, If you can email me a couple pics of your bike (side view and a angles front view) to [email protected] and let me play with them and see what happens.

I start school in a couple of days, so I'd like to do somthing fun before I dive into classes.

Here's a pic of what it looks like thus far. ONE BIG HANG UP is that I really like the paint that is on the airbox and the fender, I don't know how to rig up this style on the scoops. I hope I can get stacks or something coming out of this without messing up the paint....
rearfender.jpg

Last edited:
Ninjaneer, are you supporting taking the scoops off or keeping them on??

no dude! a vmax isn't a vmax without the scoops--whatever the shape or color. to take them off would absolutely disfigure it. it's what caught the casual looker off-guard for 25 years forcing them to mutter the question "Hey! What is that?" to the owner/driver/rider, who, in some kind of Perseus or Ullysses-like heroistic feat, must've unlocked the secret of how to tame the beast and was graced by its blessing to ride on its back. the scoops are what caused the HD R/D engineers to wake up in the middle of the night dripping with sweat and it is what has kept them up until the wee hours of the morning figuring out if they're suppose to eat eggs or sit on them.

<<The Battle Hymn of the Republic begins playing in the background, softly at first, slowly crescendo-ing>>

c'mon!
the scoops are as iconic as the Nike Swoosh, the Macintosh Apple, and Mr. Clean's bald head. its seemingly disorderly disruption to the lines has as much attitude all over the world as the American middle finger, the Greek open palm, and the Japanese four-finger thrust. go to each country's VMAX club and 9 times out of 10 you will find the scoop in their logo. they/me wear the scoop with as much pride as a wounded war vet wears scars.

why even bother getting one if your just gonna take them off and make it look like JoeBob's cookie-cutter cruiser down the block? i mean jeez, if you wanted a burger why'dya goto the pizza parlor?

<<"Glory Glory Hallelujah chorus reverberates off of the chamber walls>>

***ninjaneer panting heavily***

sorry i'll step off the soap box now.

<<ninjaneer slowly catches his breath, lowers his raised fist from over his head, drops his head and descends off of the pulpit of which lay in splinters at his feet resulting from the rhythmic pounding it received from ninjaneer's fist beating emphasis.>>

just my two cents.
:rofl_200:
1864_two_cents_rev.jpg

(P.S. I'm just playing around. Do whatever you want with the scoops. HEHEHEHEHE! )

has someone mentioned to you yet the RamAir kit? I think there's a couple dudes (maybe UFO and a DIYer-turned-profiteer) who have made the scoops truly "functional".

{EDIT} RamAir, MaxAir

They are the same, UFO is just a vendor for them. If you look at the sites, you will see the same motorcycle as an example.

If you want to know how they work, there are a couple of forum members that have them .

Take what you can, I wasn't the first to use a gasmask and I won't be the last. And how about flamethrower nozzles out of the scoops?

kjshover, you'll get an email from my phone of the bike from the side. Ninja, I understand what you're saying, it was the scoops that I first noticed on the first vmax I saw, and it's the first thing that tells me that I see another vmax in traffic, I just have such a hatred towards every car out there with fake scoops (Mustangs, Tacomas, 4Runners all of the them! I love those trucks and cars, but the fake scoops! WHY?) I guess I just need to make them functional. AND I'd be totally fine with four cone air filters just sticking out in between my legs if it weren't for the rain and a good place to put a tank bag.
My scoops are "functional", so to speak. They have extensions , that contain electric horns. A big improvement over the stock horn, but eventually I will be installing a single air horn. Then I may use the extensions for driving lights, or just leave them empty.

Latest posts

Back