Cleaning Question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zexus

Reaction score
I finally found the time today to disassemble my carbs. Separated them and broke them all down. To the naked eye they are in pretty good shape but I did find what looked like oil and grunge when I removed the coast enriching diaphragm...so much so that two of them did not want to come out and I had to use pliers to grip the metal center of the diaphragm to pull them free. My first question is this normal? My second question is what would cause that?

I finally found the time today to disassemble my carbs. Separated them and broke them all down. To the naked eye they are in pretty good shape but I did find what looked like oil and grunge when I removed the coast enriching diaphragm...so much so that two of them did not want to come out and I had to use pliers to grip the metal center of the diaphragm to pull them free. My first question is this normal? My second question is what would cause that?

Sounds like old fuel....can be a bitch to remove. Be sure to spray carb cleaner thru all the ports.

Yup they sound gummed up! Make sure to clean them good like Danny said. Coasting enricheners should move freely, and make sure there are no holes in any of the diaphragms.

i've found if its rusty crud even carb cleaner wont remove it. soda blasting did tho.

Just don't get any carb cleaner on the rubber parts like the diaphragms... Some of them will dissolve the rubber.

Great guys... Thanks. I start the cleaning process this weekend. These carbs will be gleaming when I'm done. Will be picking up some parts to replace others from Sean and then it all goes back together. They ain't going back in the bike until I get the shim kit from Sean sometime in the next few months. Easier to get at these valves with the carbs out. Thanks again guys.

Latest posts

Back