Clear Covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devildog44

Reaction score
Anyone have an issue with their clear water cover leaking? Mine just started yesterday and I haven't gotten to take it apart yet to see if there is even a gasket around the clear lens.

I never have... Mine have been on for 5+ years with no issues. My buddy Ken is having a problem with his leaking....

It just started out of nowhere yesterday...hopefully I can fix it, if not I guess I will need to spend money.

Mine was the black one and even cracked the plexi after a tip over incident with no leak. I removed it to replace the lens and have it chromed. They have a split ring behind it that fits in a machined groove. They are or should be, set in clear silicone. If the seal is comprised or poorly done to begin with, it leaks. If your lens is good, pop off the cover, pull the split ring, clean everything well and reset in fresh silicone. I'd give the cover a few days to cure but there is not a lot of pressure here so that is being overly careful I suppose. PATMAX

We have the most trouble with the lens in the waterpump covers. The 14psi + coupled with the water temps tends to soften the lexan and cause eventual leakage. We've tried a couple of different designs. Next we will use glass and not the lexan to see if we can get a good permanent seal.

No problems with the clutch and mid gear covers.

We did have an issue with the stator covers on our first units with them imploding. Our newest design is far more robust and the few we have done seem to be holding up just fine.

Sean

Thanks Pat....I am going to try and reseal for now!

Sean,

I was checking out your stuff today and I am thinking I may buy a complete new set from you in the spring.

Hopefully we will have a good permanent fix for the waterpump cover by then!

Just to be clear if anyone else reads this;
my cover is not from Sean.

We have the most trouble with the lens in the waterpump covers. The 14psi + coupled with the water temps tends to soften the lexan and cause eventual leakage. We've tried a couple of different designs. Next we will use glass and not the lexan to see if we can get a good permanent seal.

No problems with the clutch and mid gear covers.

We did have an issue with the stator covers on our first units with them imploding. Our newest design is far more robust and the few we have done seem to be holding up just fine.

Sean

And this really cant stop bugging me...When I was designing those covers
I bulid a test water pump cover and never had any leak. Sold some localy and also never heard any complain about WP covers :ummm:
I still have that first test cover and its still not leaking...I was thinking about this some other day. My guess was the first lexan I have used was 8mm thick which
was expensive like hell...then swithced to 4mm and this might be your present problem. I dont recall which thickness I have sold locally...

Of course I'v screwed the stator covers and mine also "imploded"...

I will add too that when my stator cover "imploded" Sean stood behind the work 100%! Called him when it happened and replacement parts were on their way the next day. Says a ton about his committment to providing a great service to the Vmax community!!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

i will add too that when my stator cover "imploded" sean stood behind the work 100%! Called him when it happened and replacement parts were on their way the next day. Says a ton about his committment to providing a great service to the vmax community!!!!!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

High RPM's and the increase in magnetism caused them to pull the stator into the flywheel. The removal of material was enough to weaken the cover to the point that continual flexing stressed it to the point of failure.

The most current design actually is a bit more visible and much stronger. HOWEVER, we are working on another design change and will probably have that done around christmas.

Jim, if you've still got your cover we can probably change it out to the second design we came up with.

Sean

I have a Python h2o pump cover and it leaked talked to Tom and he stood behind it and fixed it for me. Also Sean when you was at my house we talked about doing my chrome stator cover and mid gear cover as well as my seat. I will call you and set something up around mid november.

Latest posts

Back