Clutch and neutral

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diablotin

Reaction score
Hi, starting few weeks ago I started to have trouble finding my neutral.
Never had that issue before. Sometimes, it gets stuck and the pedal doesn't go up easily. Weird thing is when I put the side stand, it will be much easier to put on neutral :bang head:

I'm just wondering where it's coming from and why sometimes it's impossible to put on neutral before looking more into it.

Thanks guys

With the engine off does the shifter move freely and return to center?............With bike running and clutch pulled in does it jump when put in gear?.........I'm wondering if the clutch is not releasing fully, I usually find neutral when still rolling and comming to a stop....................Tom.

Check your clutch, particularly the slave cylinder. Mine used to be hard to find gears inc neutral
but after bleeding clutch all be well for awhile. Finally it got to the point I was always bleeding the system thinking it was swallowing air because of the position of the master cylinder on my custom bars. I traced it to a worn slave piston, replaced it all and all is perfect.

I did bleed the circuit 1 week ago when I started to notice the issue but without success, even though I removed some air. When cold, I have less issue, same goes when the side switch kicks in.

Sometimes I need to put the side stand and switch off to get into neutral. But then it's like a breeze.

I suppose if it was a free play or slave issue, effects will be the save when running or not, right ?

You would notice it more when running as the engine is trying to drive things with the clutch not 100% released....................Tom.

Also, be sure your Max is set at 1050 rpms idle, or less. With a hot engine, they tend to idle a few more rpms, and that could help make for a bit tougher shift as well.

Also, be sure your Max is set at 1050 rpms idle, or less. With a hot engine, they tend to idle a few more rpms, and that could help make for a bit tougher shift as well.

My idle is at 1k when warm. Bit less when cold.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I find that the "I have to switch it off to get it into neutral" is because the clutch isn't clearing when you pull in the lever.
Try and push the bike with the engine off, in 1st gear, with the clutch in. If the clutch is dragging, you will feel it.

Possible faults include air in the lines and stuffed seals.

I find that the "I have to switch it off to get it into neutral" is because the clutch isn't clearing when you pull in the lever.
Try and push the bike with the engine off, in 1st gear, with the clutch in. If the clutch is dragging, you will feel it.

Possible faults include air in the lines and stuffed seals.

I'll check that later when going home, but you could be right.

My 05 has been like that since I got it a year and a half ago. I've rebuilt both master and slave cylinders,replaced clutch friction plates,replaced both clutch push rods and the ball,tried various types of oil including Rotella T(both regular and synthetic) and Yamalube.Not to mention bleeding and feeding enough fluid with a mighty vac to probably fill four times. Might be a little easier to find neutral now especially while rolling but still a bear when stopped with out shutting down the engine. When the engine is cold or just warmed up,no problem finding neutral.After it's run awhile,forget it. It seems like once everything heats up and expands a little there just isn't enough clutch throw to fully disengage.That's why I changed out the push rods and in fact the ends that make contact with the ball were "dimpled" pretty deep. It didn't make that much difference though. There are a lot of tips that have worked for some so maybe one will work for you. Good luck and if you come up with something please let us know.
Mike

i had the same issue, drove me cray for over a year. i ended up rebuild the slave, helped a little, chg fluid and bled it like crazy and helped a little also, rebuilt master and bled like crazy helped again but in the end i put on a new master and that got the issue 99%| of the time back to perfect. oil chg, shifter adjustment and now its pretty much golden. with all the time and money spent i should have just put a new master from the start and save the headaches.......

let us know how you make out with it.

oh ya a DD mod not sure if that helped but sure is fun to drive now......not in stop and go traffic until you build up your forearm lol

I didnt have time to check it yet. But yeah the stop and go traffic is killing me. Ill end up like hell boy soon lol
Im running zx14 masters but didnt have that issue before.
My oil was changed few month ago and I didn't put so many miles on it, a Mobil 1 20W50 (compatible with wet clutch normally).

I always found on my '86 that depending on oil temp and length of ride it was sometimes easier and other times harder to find neutral.

My tip (which always worked 100% for me): if you're stuck in 1st and stopped, put just enough up pressure on the shifter while releasing the clutch slightly, as if you were about to ride off, letting the bike move a few inches forward. You don't need as much (if any) gas, and you won't need to let the clutch out all the way. The tranny will just pop into neutral. It's just a question of getting used to the right foot pressure, sometimes it'll easily pop into second gear, but most of the time it'll happily find neutral.

This always worked for me if I could not get neutral while stopped.

If I'm having problems finding neutral on Redbone it means the oil needs to be changed most times. I sometimes think it's easier to find neutral from second, but mostly it is just a "feel" thing, maybe a slight roll forward and she'll pop into neutral.

Same here Brian. Usually for me it means lack of oil. This time kind of similar but level is fine. I never had neutral issue before especially that different when cold or hot.

I notice neutral gets tougher to find when it's getting time for an oil change.

But compared to modern bikes the Vmax can be a bit finicky in general to find neutral. Sometimes for me it snicks right in, other times I have to sit there at the stoplight, rocking the bike back and forth and stabbing at the shifter like a retard to try and find it.

Though usually it is easier to get if you find neutral while you're coasting to a stop.

To me just a quirk of an 80's designed bike.

They are just fussy little buggers!
A pit mark in the wrong spot in either cylinder seems to be enough to tip the scales as well.

Latest posts

Back