Cobra Slash-cut pipes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44 magnum

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was wondering about the left side of my exhaust; specifically, why it's not symetrical. The right side pipes are (nearly) perfectly parallel with each other (not the ground by the way), while the left side pipes aren't. Is this normal or does it sound like the previous owner did something to hose it up? I see no scratches on the left pipes that would lead one to believe that damage is the reason for the change in appearance. The bottom of the stock system (upstream from where the cans slip on and clamp on) don't appear to have scratches/gouges either.
:ummm:

Thanks to all.

Okey doke, will do. I'm not sure HOW to do that but it looks like I can just attach one with the paperclip thingy like using Outlook, huh? I'll give it a shot when I get back from lunch. :biglaugh:

From memory when I had them they weren't the best to match up. You may be able to slot some holes and shift them around to look better. You won't be able to do anything about the performance loss though. They look good but suck for power.

Sean Morley

Okey doke, will do. I'm not sure HOW to do that but it looks like I can just attach one with the paperclip thingy like using Outlook, huh? I'll give it a shot when I get back from lunch. :biglaugh:

Okay... Reply to the thread and scroll down to manage attachments.

A tab will open then hit browse and look for the pic you want to insert. Choose it and then hit the upload button...

Make sure the file is small enough to upload here...:thumbs up:

Thanks 4gasm.... looks like it's going to work.

Even though the picture quality of my phone may not be the best, I think you can see what I'm unhappy about. Now that I see this picture, it REALLY looks like ass to me. I have to do something about this for sure now. I can't believe it looks that bad. :Sad:

Oh and sorry about the tinged look to the letters. I need to clean the dust off 'em again.

Attachments

• Left side.jpg
    Left side.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 104
  • Right side.jpg
    Right side.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 96
From memory when I had them they weren't the best to match up. You may be able to slot some holes and shift them around to look better. You won't be able to do anything about the performance loss though. They look good but suck for power.

Sean Morley

I'm okay with the performance for now, but I hear you though. I'd like to make him breathe better but I'm on a budget. Married w/kids..... you know the drill. :)

Thanks for the input though. :biglaugh:

Even though the picture quality of my phone may not be the best, I think you can see what I'm unhappy about. Now that I see this picture, it REALLY looks like ass to me. I have to do something about this for sure now. I can't believe it looks that bad. :Sad:

Oh and sorry about the tinged look to the letters. I need to clean the dust off 'em again.

Yeah... They should be parallel to each other... You need to start tweaking...

A little blue masking tape on anything you don't want scratched and then start the tweaking...:thumbs up:

Yeah... They should be parallel to each other... You need to start tweaking...

A little blue masking tape on anything you don't want scratched and then start the tweaking...:thumbs up:

Will do and thanks for the heads-up on the masking tape. I was using a heavy t-shirt last night but the tape will free up a hand and make it easier I think.

Not to piss in your Wheaties but don't expect a performance gain with the Cobra's. The folks that do it are into the change strictly for an asthetic appeal. They do look great and sound good but don't be disappointed with the seat of the pants feel. I was one who did the change. I loved the look.
A little tweaking and you will get them straighter. I had mine perfectly parallel to their neighbor after just a bit of moving around.
Good luck!

Not to piss in your Wheaties but don't expect a performance gain with the Cobra's. The folks that do it are into the change strictly for an asthetic appeal. They do look great and sound good but don't be disappointed with the seat of the pants feel. I was one who did the change. I loved the look.
A little tweaking and you will get them straighter. I had mine perfectly parallel to their neighbor after just a bit of moving around.
Good luck!

Nah it's cool. Everyone says the same thing about the power loss. The cat I bought the bike from had them on there already so I don't know what a stock Max feels like. All I know is that I have to work at it to stay on board when I screw the throttle down. :biglaugh:

I messed around with that damned left side for about an hour last night and didn't get much improvement at all. The more I was moving the pipes around to get it where I wanted it to go, the more I was seeing that movement transferred up to the engine. I can't really do anymore tweaking than I did without tearing something up so I'm probably just going to live with it.

Anyway, I appreciate the input guys. Have a good morning. :cheers:

I think that you need to loosen the headers up till you get the cobras where you want them then retighten the headers.Kinda like putting supertrapps on.everything has to be loose.

That is what I had to do with my cobras, and they lines up perfectly.

You and Shawn are probably right. I may give it another go later. I've been working on the 'chin guard' (re-painting) and it's not coming out as I'd hoped. The blood-pressure's starting to climb so I'm gonna take a break for now.

If I get the left side fixed at some point, I'll come back and let you guys know. I just don't want y'all thinking I'm an unappreciative ass. (Prolly just a regular ass.) :biglaugh:

L8r guys.

Good luck!
Hi All,
My bike runs Cobra. I really like the sound, because I can't afford a Ferrari.
I've heard the Ferrari & this bike/pipes is that sound & appearance.
So what if a few hp is lost (supposedly, but my carbs were tuned/synch. for these pipes),
I seldom use all that V-Boost power anyway.
Why not enjoy the FEEL & LOOKS of the bike as designed for speed?
You don't have to run 125 mph, do you?
Jim

Hey Everyone,

I've been a member for a few months now and am content to soak in all the knowledge that is shared on the forum, but I gotta admit there is a noticeable difference in HP with the Cobra pipes on...I really love the sound of them but its not close to the seat of the pants rush that my '85 had. I read another post the other night on here about the inlet nozzles being smaller than the OEM cans....is there anyway to increase the diameter of the inlets without ruining the pipes?

Hey guys iam new to site and ive read of the hp decrease but whats the best set up with the cobras got a pair for xmas

Thanks Rob M.

U will need to rejet smaller. I would use 147.5 for your mains and go from there.

I would probably add that PAJ needs to go up as well. RM and I put the 147.5s in my cobra bike, and it's in better tune now, but still moderately rich.

Thanks guys does drilling out the baffles do anything for performance or is it just for sound.Also what are PAJ's and go up how much

Thanks Rob M.

Latest posts

Back