Complete carb rebuild guide for noob?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebar

Reaction score
My carbs are gummed up bad from sitting with fuel in them for years. Im a mechanic, but have never rebuilt a motorcycle carb.

Can anyone recommend a article I can follow when rebuilding the Vmax carbs? Or is this something best left for a professional?

I recommend a Clymer service manual as it has excellent pictures and step by step instructions on how to take them apart. I would also go to the Carbs section of this forum and go over the sticky's. The Main Jet post has pictures on how to remove the carbs. There's another sticky on the parts you'll need for a rebuild including gaskets, etc. Other than that, best to take your time and ask questions here. We're more than happy to help you through it. If you get stuck or need to talk someone PM me and I'll give you a call...my dime.

Rebar I just got through completely disassembling, adjusting float levels, cleaning and reassembling my carbs. It was the first time I've had them off the bike and to be honest it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. The only things that troubled me a little was the overly tight screws and the choke linkage. As long as you have some high quality phillips bits (I actually found it easier to use the socket type with a 1/4" drive ratchet to break them loose) and pay attention to the order of things you will be fine.

My carbs are gummed up bad from sitting with fuel in them for years. Im a mechanic, but have never rebuilt a motorcycle carb.

Can anyone recommend a article I can follow when rebuilding the Vmax carbs? Or is this something best left for a professional?
You say you never rebuilt a "motorcycle" carburetor. As a mechanic, what makes you think that's it's any different than a carburetor on a car? Just wondering.....

got it now Thanks hmmm leaving the throttle linkage alone great idea! bike looks better with knuckle skin on it anyway

You say you never rebuilt a "motorcycle" carburetor. As a mechanic, what makes you think that's it's any different than a carburetor on a car? Just wondering.....

I'm a HVAC mechanic. I'm sure its not to difficult, but Iv never done it. Im ready now with the house sided and the bike tank cleaned and ready.

So the Clymer service manual is the best for a beginner. Step by step with pics? Do you have a link?

I also need a complete carb rebuild kit. Or do I need to order all the parts separately? And whats the best online shop to get the carb parts? The prices at my local shop seem a bit high and they always roll their eyes when I walk in.

:rofl_200:

Rebar, there's a Sticky post in carbs section on part numbers you'll need. Clymer can be had for cheap on Ebay. I haven't found an online link for that yet...no one's taken the time to scan it in. Clymer is very good....it does step by step in removing carbs and what to clean piece by piece.

Rebar, there's a Sticky post in carbs section on part numbers you'll need. Clymer can be had for cheap on Ebay. I haven't found an online link for that yet...no one's taken the time to scan it in. Clymer is very good....it does step by step in removing carbs and what to clean piece by piece.

Thanks. The Clymer manual is on the way. One question though. The carbs are ready to be removed. Yet I cant get them to budge.
Whats a good way to pull them up and out of the 23 year old rubber connectors?

Make sure you remove fuel line from rail and completely loosen top clamp of each boot. Then, pull like you're competing in a tug of war contest.

Yes ,tried that and will tug some more tonight. I was thinking about building some sort of puller if I cant get it to move. I dont want to pry on anything.

Try pulling on one carb at a time. Once you get one loose the others will pull out easier.

I usually use a rubber mallet - one good wack in a crisscross pattern and they pop off - if it was a harley, than you would use a sledgehammer :rofl_200:

Mike

Thanks I got them off. Will tear them down when the manual shows up.

Now looking at lubing the valve train before I turn it over. The front cover look real fun to take off. Or it there anyway of prelubing the engine?

he wants to get oil to the bearings before he turns the engine over. If you can hook up a pump that will move oil you can tie into the area where many put oil pressure gauges. Pressurize the engine then drail the excess. It's a plugged port on the right side under the water pump.

Sean

Can't you just spin the crank?

Sure.. Everything is ready but Id like to lube the valve train before I spin the crank. I think it would take longer than I want for the valve train to receive oil because it wont start w/o carbs.

You would have to remove valve covers. You might as well check valve clearances while you're in there.

Back