Cops Mod questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gannon thanks your kit was awesome. well worth the money. Only wish I knew about it earlier you should advertise on ebay. woke my bike right up. I also installed a t-boost switch. very very happy. installing mark's exhaust tomorrow :)

So i've been reading and i need to set the gap on my plugs to .3? Some spark plugs are coming with the kit, but i have some NGK iridium XI plugs set at .9 What would be the best way to gap these??

sorry for hijacking the thread, but didn't want to start another one, got just one question...

we all know how to convert 4 coil-4 cylinder system into COPs, but I'm having difficulties with an R1, or any inline 4 engine fired with only 2 coils in this instance, to convert such to COPS

in other words, converting 2coil-4cylinder system into 4 COPs, how to????

So from that (cheap coil on plug mod) i'm pretty sure that i can use the short 08 R1 plugs and harness. is this right? I don't have 180 to spend. 44 for the plugs and harness.
You can make them your self ,but I think the harness system Gannon makes is second to nun, including OEM
Steve-o

Last edited:
Gannon thanks your kit was awesome. well worth the money. Only wish I knew about it earlier you should advertise on ebay. woke my bike right up. I also installed a t-boost switch. very very happy. installing mark's exhaust tomorrow :)
This bike did wake up and then some. Tomorrow-Marks 4-2 and some Tuning.

I just bought a cop kit with new plugs and harnesses from Sean,he let me install and try them before I made the purchase...the bike runs better than it ever has and it fixed my issue of it stumbling when it got hot enough for the fan to kick on...this bike has never ran this good...best mod/upgrade I ever did.

I've read all the threads and I'm ready to do this mod. That being said after reading a thousand replys, I'm now confused.

I have a 2000 Max. I plan to buy 08 R1 COPs and a wiring harness.

Do I need any special/specific plugs or resister in the wiring?

Thanks,
Darren

dekberg, send this guy (88vmx12) a PM and he will put you on the right track as to what you need for your COPs conversion. Its a very easy mod and comes with a 6 or 8 pg detailed instruction sheet.

Coil conversion harness kits :punk::punk::punk:

got just one question...

we all know how to convert 4 coil-4 cylinder system into COPs, but I'm having difficulties with an R1, or any inline 4 engine fired with only 2 coils in this instance, to convert such to COPS

in other words, converting 2coil-4cylinder system into 4 COPs, how to????

You would split the feed & earth that supplies the coil so that it can feed separate COP's.

I have a set of COP,s from birdoprey, used them short time will sell. 50..00 These are plug and play.

You would split the feed & earth that supplies the coil so that it can feed separate COP's.
i've tried that, have 4 COPS, two on each feed, positives to positive, negatives to negative, will only start on one COP per feed, so cylinder 1 and 2, or 3 and 4, but as soon as i hook up another COP it stalls the engine... wtf?

After Mark smoked me yesterday with his 2007, I thought I'd make sure my timing advance was ok. Cops-timing light? Not my old and reliable light, can't connect it. I saved an old coil and wire and now I know why. Be nice if I'm just not getting full advance. Who knows how many miles are REALLY on a used bike? Compression was 170lbs all around last year. Anyway, what's everyone elso doing for timng check?
Steve

I got my Kit from gannon... about to install. So the rear coils are NOT crossed? and the Front are.... What are the numbers for each cylinder?

I'm not sure that i have a T boost but this kit came with a t boost wire harness... The owner told me that all 4 cylinders are running on all the time...This was all on the bike when i got it. (Vboost was removed, stage 7 kit. and K/n filters.) How would i know if i have a T boost?

Update: Just got done with installing Gannons kit. Spark plugs he sent were gapped at .031... I installed iridium plugs .026. I didn't have to use the choke at all. But it doesn't sound like it has "more getty up". I haven't ridden it hard yet....

If you have stg7 with vboost removed you *shouldn't* have a tboost switch. Tboost makes the vboost butterflies open at different settings. If you don't have vboost you don't need a switch to control it :biglaugh:

Back