couple random brake questions...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamorg02

Reaction score
hey guys..

something i've noticed with the days being sometimes close to 80 and the mornings near 40 lately, in the morning my brake lever will need to travel more before i feel friction. when i goto the bike in the afternoon the lever has a bit less travel before friction. only can tell on my front brake as i don't have that good of a feel on my rear. its not a huge difference, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" but noticable.

no sponginess and the front brakes stop like a champ. could this just be the fluid shrinking when its cold?

also, when you guys add more fluid to your m/c does the lever have less travel to feel friction than it did before?

Might be your lines assuming they aren't SS? Mine used to do that but now it's the same whether hot or cold.

very well could be. just wondering if others had seen it. no sponginess, doesn't feel bad, just interesting....

did u ever notice a difference in travel with how much fluid in the m/c?

brake fluid being hydroscopic maybe when everything warms up, water evaporates a little, it tends to work better :ummm: i dont know. usually any sponginess is from air in the line, maybe after riding it, the air displaces a little and you get better break lever feel? have you dont any work on it lately

Lever feel should not change with fluid level in the reservoir. As long as there is enough fluid in there to create pressure without sucking any air then you should never notice a difference.

thats what i thought, but the brakes work fine, no sponginess.

i shoudl say that its just the amount the lever travels until i feel the pads touch. both in temperature changes or if i add more fluid....

does that point to flaky lines?

i would lean towards bleeding them again and trying that, also if fluid is old might as well chg it out for fresh stuff bro.

oh ya flexing lines makes sense, sometimes you wont see them deteriorating but will bulged out when under use, maybe upgrade wont hurt either.

they were bleed earlier this year, didn't make a difference, always noticed when i topped off brake fluid the lever travel changed slightly on this bike.

maybe i'll have to go SS lines over the winter.

whats the rough cost for SS lines all around? front/rear brakes and clutch? has anyone done it recently? very rough ballpark is fine.

Hey Garrett. The Galfers I used on the front were 85.00 for brake and 45 for the clutch. I have the Russell SSl front brake lines I took off of mine if you want to try them and see if it help. If it does your to them for 35.00 if not just sent them back. They are 1 into 2 (with a splitter). Let me know.

did u keep the rear stock? why did u switch from russell to galfer?

they were bleed earlier this year, didn't make a difference, always noticed when i topped off brake fluid the lever travel changed slightly on this bike.

maybe i'll have to go SS lines over the winter.

whats the rough cost for SS lines all around? front/rear brakes and clutch? has anyone done it recently? very rough ballpark is fine.
Here are some prices from Python Motorsports although I think Sean can get them cheaper. Sean also carries HEL SS lines in many different colors, so I'd wait to talk to Sean when he gets back from his honeymoon.
Front SS braided 2-line kit
Clutch SS braided line kit
Rear SS braided line kit
I have the galfer lines on the front calipers and the clutch. 1000 times better looking and performance too! I am waiting on the rear line b/c I want to extend the S/A 3" and probably will do something different with the position of the caliper (underslung).

Last edited:
thanks brian. i also assume u mean 3" not 3'?

The bike came with Russell all around. I just like the coating on the Galfer. I would have gotten the clutch line too but they shipped me the wrong Galfer clutch line. So I just said forget it for now. I switch out whenever I decide to do the master cylinder switch.

The bike came with Russell all around. I just like the coating on the Galfer. I would have gotten the clutch line too but they shipped me the wrong Galfer clutch line. So I just said forget it for now. I switch out whenever I decide to do the master cylinder switch.

does it have the banjo bolts/washers etc too?

LOL, yeah, damn lazy shift finger!:bang head:

haha 3' would be sick. figured you woulda made it a point to say by now had u wanted to stretch it 3'.

Garrett,

I just emailed you a couple of pictures of the lines. You can try and blow them up to see if it has what you need. Minus the rotors of course. The top is in a balloon so it wouldn't leak.

thanks Mike

Does anyone know if the pre '94 lines/bolts/kit would fit the post '94 calipers?

I don't know for sure, but I just ordered a set of busa calipers and plan on using my current galfer lines on them. From what I can compare visually they look the same. :confused2:
Maybe somebody who knows for sure can clear this up for us?:worthy:

Back