Crunching gears when shifting with high revs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RempageR1

Reaction score
Hi,

When riding my `85 Vmax hard, I sometimes hear a grinding sound when shifting (mostly to 2 and 3 i think). When just cruising, there are no problems. Finding neutral is no problems, shifting down isn't either.

I also seem to have this problem when shifting from neutral while going 30mph, I then need to rev the engine to get it into gear otherwise it will start crunching again.

Should I start thinking about selector forks and drum or could there be another, simpler solution? Or could you even call this normal for this bike? I am using Yamalube 10W40 semi-synthetic oil.

Thank you!

Man that sounds an awful lot like the problems I was having at the end of 2009. I had to have a bunch of work done in my transmission to fix it and I also took advantage and had some added stuff done. Here is a list of what was wrong with my transmisson:
Had to replace:
1) 2nd gear - started out grinding shifting into 2nd the started to jump out of gear.
2) Shift forks bent - had to be replaced
3) Some other misc gear issues that were about to cause problems

Added work done: this is the fun stuff!
1) transmission undercut
2) 5th gear OD installed - I love this upgrade!
3) HD oil pump
4) DD clutch
5) Starter clutch repair
6) Valve adjusted
7) Engine Painted - Beautiful job!
8) Repaired a bolt I had stripped in the clutch cover

I had all theis work done by Sean Morley of Morley's Muscle and I would encourage you to use him for any work on the Vmax, he does superior work and has excellant communication and customer service skills!!
Sean should be able to help you pinpoint your issues, he is a member here so you can PM him at One2dmax or email him: [email protected]

Last edited:
Hi,

Is it actually the same issue? Mine doesn't pop out of gear and I think the previous owner already addressed that issue as the engine halves have been split before.

Also, I think Morley`s muscle is a bit far from the Netherlands but I will keep them in mind for the overdrive option. That sounds really excellent!

Any other thoughts or should I go ahead and start taking the bike apart?

Thanks!

LOL, might have!

Chris, yes - before we would have him pull the engine we'd want him to try adjusting the shifter, then replacing or inspecting the shift segment. If it was popping out of gear we'd go straight for trans update.

Sean

Okay, I will be looking at the shift segment then. I will update this tread when I have pulled the clutch out.

Back