Cycle one-off frame sliders

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heretic

Reaction score
http://www.cycleoneoff.com/v-maxpartspage1.html

I have some questions for anyone who may own these. Well the 'protection from dumping the bike' part is good I actually want these to be able to hold the bike up on jack stands while doing front end work. I know the factory engine guards are strong enough to hold the weight of the bike, but I was wondering if these would be. I would get the factory case guards but they are on back-order until November and I have Progressive springs I want to install, plus the cycle one ones are cheaper. Any experienced opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

If you want the factory ones, I would try eBay. There are usually a set or two available all the time.

I have a set of COO frame sliders and I would be really cautious about using them to lift the bike. The bolt that holds the spool pieces on is not that big. It doesn't sound like something I would recommend, but Tom would be the one to ask.

I got in contact with Tom and he states that he uses them to hold the front of the bike up with jack stands, but cautioned to place the jack stands as close to the frame as possible. I ordered a set and will be using them to install the front springs soon after I receive them. If they fold like the French army facing the Germans I'll let you know.

I've been using them to lift my bike for years, and frequently.

I use a floor jack, one on each side and raise them both a little at a time, then use one floor jack on the frame tabs for the center stand that's no longer there..

It's rock solid when lifted this way.....

As long as you don't have a leaky jack... :)

Like tom stated tho', you want your force applied as close to the frame as possible so you don't amplify the levrage due to the length of the slider....

But you have to pay attention and not do something stupid like open one jack all the way and let it tip over or you will drop your bike...you have to ease it down the same way it went up.....

Like your planning to do i've also lifted the bike through other means and them place a jack stand under the sliders, but it's more time consuming to do, if I had a long term project that's how I'd do it tho so I wouldn't be tripping over three 'effin floor jacks....

The bolt that mounts the slider to the mounting plate is a stainless bolt of at least 5/16" diam. might be 3/8" (they might have been metric, can't remember, but you get the idea)

That's well with in the range of lifting 150 lbs (per side) or so..

I had my frame sliders apart when I cut some length off them, (they're too long in my opinion and damn near look like highway pegs) I had drug the tips of both of them in the pavement a couple of times out in Bandera and it scared me so bad I thought the sliders were gonna cause me to uneccesarily unload the front tire when I still had plenty of ground clearance.....I brought them in about 1 1/4" where they'll still do their job (they are out slightly further than the water pump or generator case) without sticking out so far they needlessly drag..... That way they are also stronger? or less likely to break the engine mounts or twist the frame in a crash since there's not so much "lever" sticking out there to act as a force on the mounting points....which are the engine mounts and frame, I'd hate to dump a bike in a minor crash and have the frame sliders bust the engine cases, which these sliders look as if they are easily capable of....

Last edited:
Re: Cycle one-off frame sliders-Help!

I received these today and I cannot get the right side to fit flush. The solid engine mount is contacting the bolt that holds the slider on and the material of the bracket itself. I was wondering if anyone had installed these with the solid engine mounts and how you got them to fit. I suppose I could bust out the grinder, but its not something I wish to do. The wife is at a bridal shower today and has the camera. I will post pics ASAP.

Are solid mounts wider than stock mounts? I would give Cycle One Off a call.

Re: Cycle one-off frame sliders-Help!

I received these today and I cannot get the right side to fit flush. The solid engine mount is contacting the bolt that holds the slider on and the material of the bracket itself. I was wondering if anyone had installed these with the solid engine mounts and how you got them to fit. I suppose I could bust out the grinder, but its not something I wish to do. The wife is at a bridal shower today and has the camera. I will post pics ASAP.

Heretic-Does one side fit flush and the other side doesn't? If so, is the relief cut for the motor mount the same depth on each slider mount?

I called Tom at COO and left him a message. I remembered that the factory front engine mount has a slice out of it for whatever reason that is why these are not fitting right. The left side fits perfect, exactly as it should. The right side doesn't come anywhere close to fitting. I'll see what Tom says. I may get the grinder out yet.

I had the same issue with my right side one due to the solid motor mounts. Just took it to work and had the machinists extend the relief about 1/4" and it fit fine from there. You might just be on the right track with the original motor mount shape......

I spoke to Tom and he is going to make two sets apparently, going forward. One for rubber mounted and one for alum. mounts I sent him the pictures and specs for the solid mounts. I also expressed concern on how close the main mount bolt was to the slider itself. I could not fit a socket on there and ended up having to tighten it with a regular hand wrench. This of course resulted in me scratching the slider and base that it is bolted to. Once it got tight it was almost impossible to move it with a wrench due to being close to the engine. Plus the torque sensing ability in my arm is malfunctioning, so I had no way of torquing them down to spec. Tom seems to be a great guy and the quality of the product seems good, but am not entirely happy with the fit and finish of the product.

Sucks you have to deal with this.

FWIW.... I had to grind down the stock motor mount spacers/washers for mine to fit. Was not happy, but it didn't really hurt anything. What really pissed me off was the fact that I waited over 2 months to receive the product after he essentially cashed the check just 2 days after purchase. Unless I'm really desperate, I don't plan on doing business with COO again.

Hey Heretic -

I've got a stock set that I took off my bike because I can't use them with the belly pan I put on. Sorry I did'nt check out your post sooner, but they're yours if you want them......

- Mark

Back