D D clutch

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn kloker

Reaction score
I added my stock spring on top of my PCW spring tonight.Wow,big difference!Its even way weird to ride with.It should be called the DDD clutch this way.
I thought that I felt the clutch possibly slipping in 5th the other day.I tried the 5th gear clutch test several times and it never slipped.Supposedly if you put it in 5th gear ,rev it up to 3500-4000 rpm's then dump the clutch it will slip if bad or stall if good.5th gear is where slippage first shows not in first like many would think.Mechanical advantage thing.
Mike,How long do you think it took Yamaha to engineer their gaskets so that they junk themselves each time they are taken apart?LOL!This pisses me off thank god for Gary Mccoy.

Shawn I think my clutch is going too.
I will have to try that test, thanks for the tip.
Do you like your DD clutch?

Hey Bill! I am not sure yet if I like it or not.It feels just like Paul's now.My clutch looks just like new inside,even the beadblast marks on the steel plates.
Mine is running really good since retuning it for the cold.

After riding to work today on it I definately think that there is way more feel to it now.I can tell exactly what the clutch is doing now.

shawn kloker said:
Mike,How long do you think it took Yamaha to engineer their gaskets so that they junk themselves each time they are taken apart?LOL!This pisses me off thank god for Gary Mccoy.

Has nothing to do with Yamaha, Shawn. I've been scraping gaskets for over 45 years and non of them where from Yamaha. Has more to do with heat bonding. Just think how proficient you're becoming at it and someday soon, you can title yourself as an ace gasket scraper. Keep up the good work.:eusa_dance:

I've the DD.5 for a few years and love mine but the lever pull can be tough. The feel is definetly right on too.

LOL - maybe. Or it could be the overtime I put in at the bathroom - LOL........

:ummm: Aaahhmmm? DD clutch? Is the a reference to this somewhere?

A double D clutch is 2 stock clutch springs stacked.DD.5 is a PCW and stock spring.Very hard to keep pulled in in a traffic jam.I went back to just a PCW spring.It does have less feel than it did with a stock spring on it too.

I added my stock spring on top of my PCW spring tonight.Wow,big difference!Its even way weird to ride with.It should be called the DDD clutch this way.
I thought that I felt the clutch possibly slipping in 5th the other day.I tried the 5th gear clutch test several times and it never slipped.Supposedly if you put it in 5th gear ,rev it up to 3500-4000 rpm's then dump the clutch it will slip if bad or stall if good.5th gear is where slippage first shows not in first like many would think.Mechanical advantage thing.

The next time you replace your clutch gasket.
Permatext Hightack on gasket surfgace to Clutch Cover
Vaseline, Lithium Grease on Gasket to Block.
There ya go. No more tore gasket.

This might be a stooopid question :confused2:
This test is done from a stand still:ummm:
obviously I dont want to do it in traffic.... but on a back road going slow or just sitting still
Thanks for not laughing too hard:rofl_200:
Cheers:cheers:

I've had the stuff to do the Double D for a while now.

After being stuck in Traffic for 1/2 an hour down in Kemah/Seabrook last Saturday I'm not sure I'd do it unless I had to. My left hand still hurts with just the stock clutch.

Rusty

Just get the PCW heavy duty spring and call it good.

Mark

Just get the PCW heavy duty spring and call it good.

Mark

I only have 8 on the clock, but when I get more miles under the bike I'm thinking about going this route.

Do I only get the spings from PCW, or can I go through another source?

That's the only option for an aftermarket clutch spring unless you go to a Barnett.

Mark

That's the only option for an aftermarket clutch spring unless you go to a Barnett.

Mark

There are other options similar to the barnett that work good too! I've got a couple of factory coil spring setups left from where they installed them years ago. Use the barnett springs with the correct parts and you're in business.

Sean Morley

Attachments

• clutch1.jpg
    clutch1.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 52
Sean did the DD on my engine and I love it! Pull was a little tough when I first tried it but now it feels normal.

Back