Daughters pet deer....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
My Daughter sent me this picture yesterday. My first thought was "oh shit, not another animal"
She collects Animals like I wish I could collect Vmaxes, has 2 rescue dogs 3 cats, 2 snakes, and 2 rats, and can't pass a sick animal on the road without taking action...And volunteers with the rescue societys.....

Anyway, she alleviated my fears when she followed up with this email, which I'm posting below, pretty cool I thought... I didn't mention to her how good some deer veal would taste...

So my friend Julio and I were walking our dogs on the trails behind the apartments and when we were heading back and going up this gravel road that leads into the back of a neighborhood we found this little guy all sprawled out on the side of the road. His eyes were glazed over and he was covered in little ticks and completely lethargic.

Momma deers will leave their baby during the day to go graze and then come back at night to feed them. But it was really weird that he was left out there like that and he was looking terribly ill. We took the dogs back to my place and then went out and hung nearby the deer for a while just to see if we spotted a mother. As we were walking towards the front end of the neighborhood we found a dead doe that had been hit by a car.

So, I scooped the guy up and he was like dead weight in my arms. Pretty unresponsive and dehydrated.
I brought him back to my place and bathed him - got all the ticks off and then put towels down in the bathtub and laid him in there.
Then we went online and found a hot-line number for wildlife rescue but it was around 5 or 6 in the evening and I was only able to leave a voicemail,
unless it was an emergency and I didn't think the little guy was exactly an emergency.

Then we ran to the tractor supply store and I bought a bottle and some milk replacement and I ended up bottle feeding him and keeping him for two nights. He was so so so super sweet and cuddly and I was worried he would get too attached to people but then I received a call back from someone finally and she said they need that attention, so i got to lay in the bathtub where we were keeping him and cuddle with him (easily one of the most surreal experiences in my life!)

Anyways, the lady I guess saw that my number was a 281 area code so she kept referring me to Houston area centers.
And I was having a horrible time obtaining other numbers that worked or a place that accepted deer and wasn't at max capacity.
FINALLY, I found a place in Austin and drove him there.

They are a non-profit rehabilitation center that runs off of donations and volunteer work. The manager was really nice and she showed me around and what all they do and I fell in love and figured that I need the volunteer work for my resume anyways so I am going to be volunteering there on the weekends beginning in June! It was really nice, because I have tried joining clubs and volunteer stuff at school but I just get really nervous and end up not going. But at this place I was completely comfortable. I am very excited.

I love you and hope I didn't shock you too much. = P

Attachments

• 210114_2067195839164_1222833968_32539884_6929881_o.jpg
    210114_2067195839164_1222833968_32539884_6929881_o.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 68
Great story! You must be very proud of your daughter!

In this day and age of the "I/me mentality" it's is nice to know there are some kids being raised right.

what a great story, you sure raised a good person. let us know how the little guy does on the recovery.

You raised a caring and compassionate daughter mate. Good on you :)
Regards,
R

Great story, hope she checked herself over really well for ticks.
deer ticks are very small and hard to see and they carry lyme disease...

Thanks for the comments guys!

I remind her about the deer tick thing, I knew that and didn't even think to tell her:ummm:

She has a very big heart. You raised a good kid, indeed. Reminds me a lot of my wife. She once rescued a hummingbird and nursed it back to health. It was an awesome sight watching it wake up and fly away the next day.

Back