Davesax36 ?????

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some work for my principal on Sunday. My brain was tired from that so I took a nap. When I woke up I couldn't talk right. Slurred speech, slow words, dizzy. Did all the field tests for stroke and passed, but decided I should go to the er. They admitted me for tests. The only thing they could come up with was a complex migraine. I had no real headache, just craziness. I got out on Tuesday afternoon and have been at home since. I tried to go to work yesterday, but that was a bad idea. Last night I did a lap around the outside of the house to see if I could walk straight for any real distance. I was still weaving around so I stayed home today.

Did I mention that I hate head injuries?

Did they mention the possibility of a transient ischemic attack? Also known as a TIA or "mini stroke"?

The stroke exam that I always liked was the Cincinnati stroke test. It actually takes 2 people to do. The affected person closes their eyes, and puts their arms out from, and says the phrase "the sky is blue in Cincinnati" . If there is physical weakness, one arm will droop. Also with that phrase and "s" sounds will show up as slurring. The reason that you have to have your eyes closed....is that if someone has their eyes open, and they see drooping on one side, they can increase the effort to that side, and mask those symptoms.

Low blood sugar can also give off symptoms like a stroke, but something like that SHOULDVE been caught at the local ER.

Did you get the bikes moved up there yet? You could always tinker....and take it easy for a few days.

No sign of tia. Passed all the muscle-related tests without issue. And no bikes to mess with :(

Did they check you for vertigo? Ive had those same issues with extreme bouts of it. Take it easy and get better!

Did they check you for vertigo? Ive had those same issues with extreme bouts of it. Take it easy and get better!

You beat me to it. My mom had issues with this. I know it messed with her balance, but not sure about speech.

I'm going to bring the vertigo thing up with my neurologist. It would explain many of my problems.

Thanks, guys. You're awesome.

Well just take care of yourself.....and if you need ANYTHING....just holler.

Dave, you wouldnt by chance happen to suffer from tinitus would you? Its a contstant ringing in one or both ears uaually brought on by long term exposure to loud noise or, a single event that caused a concussive hearing loss such as getting hit in the head with a softball for example, lol. Whenever my ringing gets louder or i loose the ability to hear a frequency it trips light bouts of vertigo for me. Dramamine does wonders for it for otc remedies and the quacks will give you either antivert or valium as its treated kinda like motion sickness.

No tinnitus, Adam. I have a friend who has it as the result of a concussion, though. I'm gonna do some of these vertigo home remedies. My main issue is that I get foggy when I'm around big crowds or noisy places for too long. I thought it was really weird that I'd have such a major problem after doing some computer work (although I was stressed out and it required some actual concentration).

Hey Dave glad you out of the hospital I didn't hear from you thought I would do a shout out . That vertigo thing hits me when I'm in the woods I kinda get a confused and nausea feeling. I don't about the slurred speech tho I'm usually by my self ..

I was in a car crash back in 1999 that caused a pretty good concussion. I had severe vertigo, and it was traced to a problem in my inner ears. The cochlea is the part of the ear that defines your position, by the tiny nerve endings inside the cochlea interacting with fluid that is also in there. Problem is, after a number of years, tiny particles of calcium build up in there. They normally sink to the bottom of the cochlea, where they stick. In case of a bad whack to the head, they can get knocked loose, causing the nerve endings to get scrambled signals as they bump into them as they float around in there. In my case, BOTH ears were affected. The neurologist told me that I was extremely close to serious brain damage. She performed a procedure called the Eppley maneuver. This positioned my head to let the particles float down to the bottom. I had to lie on a slanted pillow for the next two days, moving as little as possible, to give the particles time to stick. After a week, she had to do the other ear.... Vertigo sucks. Still get a bit of it, and may have to get the procedure done again..

Edit - there is a good article on this procedure on Wikipedia.

I'm about to do the eppley thing today. Thanks, Bill.
I also joined a forum called neurotalk (or something). It's like a support group for illness and injury.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions from you guys.

Get well Dave, you are braver than me, only way they ever got me to go to the hospital was to knock me out, strap me to a stretcher and stick me on a chopper.

I had some weird vision issues a while back and asked my eye dr when I went in a few days later. He told me that it was a classic symptom of a migraine. I responded that I didn't have a headache at all. He then told me that you can still have a migraine without any pain. He told me that it is actually very common.

G

I had some weird vision issues a while back and asked my eye dr when I went in a few days later. He told me that it was a classic symptom of a migraine. I responded that I didn't have a headache at all. He then told me that you can still have a migraine without any pain. He told me that it is actually very common.

G

Yeah. The painless migraine things was tripping me out. I just kept telling them they were nuts, and that I really hadn't had a bad headache in a while. I'm glad it's not just me, though.

Latest posts

Back