Daytona Bike Week 2013

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would come back up to join in the festivities but my bike is now temporarily a non-runner :-( If everything goes to plan I should have it up and running again within a week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

I would come back up to join in the festivities but my bike is now temporarily a non-runner :-( If everything goes to plan I should have it up and running again within a week.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Damn That Sucks. I know you were excited to go. Well hopefully your back on your wheels sooner than later.

Damn That Sucks. I know you were excited to go. Well hopefully your back on your wheels sooner than later.

Well I did get to go actually on Wednesday, gremlins invaded my bike while I was there (I am guessing from all those HD's that were running around :damn angry:). Now it is in the garage in pieces while I wait for the replacement parts in the mail.

At least I think I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

We got to Daytona Fri a.m. after the night in Cocoa Beach. Visited the Volusia Co. Fairgrounds, lots of H-D parts & not much for us. Made an offer on some beat-up Works Performance shocks I could have used but the guy thought that since they looked like they had been dragged behind a pickup from Lake City FL to Daytona, they were "work-hardened." No thanks, when I can get brand-new cheap replacement shocks for the same price, "no-sale." He wanted $200, & was willing to "come-down" to $195!

So we ended up at Boxenstopp & Joe is not having a Sat. bar-b-q, but a ride is planned from Sat. noon for a couple of hours, probably heading south. Some fellow w/a 1500+ cc & 43 flatslides & chain conversion was there, new rear tire for him was rubbing on the heim joint rear brake stay he was fiddling with. I cranked my "Lazarus Half-Cam" (TM) up & down the street past the shop & on the next block a big Harley gathering. It ran fine and a bunch of the Harley dudes came-out to see what was making all that racket (my UFO Dragstar 4/1!). After that we went to dinner & shared a table by an invite w/some Big Twin brothers from S.C. after I started a conversation w/them while we were all waiting for tables. Good guys, they all rode their H-D's to Daytona while I had mine in the p/u.

They were impressed to see my bike in service after having a broken-in-two intake cam for #3 cyl on Thursday March 14 when I showed them the pics on March 15. I rode the bike in stop & go traffic thru Daytona past the Speedway to dinner & it ran perfectly. No pic posting access now & not any good pics, maybe Sat.

I am very happy w/how my bike turned out after the "cam-divided" & repair. Running good!:biglaugh:

Update Sat nite 3/16/13: we had a great lunch run to Deland Airport from Boxenstopp w/~12 bikes in the run, about 4 Gen II's the rest Gen I's. Marcus Hickman has a fast Gen I big displacement chain drive bike originally built by PCW. He said it has an incipient head gasket leak. I rode just behind him to lunch. There were 2 Gen II's w/carbon fibre wheels, you think Sean's wheels are expensive? Don't ask... . He also has 43 mm flatslides among other things. Ron from Geneva NY & 1400 mi from home w/his Gen II knows a couple of guys I went to school with in NY by Lake Ontario but I have been in FL for 40 years. His bike dynoed at 179 HP. I don't have access to post pics until Sun @ the earliest.

If you have been reading this, you know on Mon 3/11 I found out my rear intake cam decided to act like the Red Sea before Moses, and "part," which it did, into two pieces. So Thurs. the shop proprietor at Under Pressure in Dania Beach FL, Steve, had my bike apart & I stripped the parts off my parts engine so he could repair my '92. He did, & we fired it up. I took it for a spin, gave the repair a "two thumbs up" & we loaded it into my pickup. I picked up my buddy in Wellington FL & we drove to Cocoa Beach. Fri we went to Daytona, I went to Boxenstopp & I unloaded it to show my repaired ride w/its UFO Dragstar 4/1 & pics of the intake cam in two pieces the day before. Then I ran the bike in front of the shop & it was power wheelying & doing rolling burnouts if I leaned forward. Joe, owner of Boxenstopp, had another intake cam which had broken at the same place in one of the core engines he got from a customer. He said all he had to do was replace the cam & caps, same as my mechanic found in mine.

I rode the bike in stop & go traffic all over Daytona & it ran great. I ran it a bit harder out of town & now I am ready to disassemble the bike to have the frame powdercoated but I think I will ride it "just a wee-bit more" because a little guy in a green suit & hat told me, "Sunday is a day to find your fortune, to enjoy that pot 'o gold on two wheels, before you take it off the road." So I am gonna listen to him! "Get behind me, Mod Monkey!" Time to enjoy my ride, and I am hoping this coming week Jon Cornell's package for me will come in. Plus I got a "wee-bit 'o bling" from Joe at Boxenstopp in Daytona at a great price! Pics will follow when it's done.:punk:

I checked my mileage after the 75 mph ride to Deland Airport w/my newly-installed Dynojet Stage 7, Gannon's COP's & UFO 4/1, I got 34 mpg, & am very happy w/that given the 'seat of the pants difference' I experienced. No, I am NOT planning a dyno run!:damn angry::bang head:

I was in "the right place at the right time" during the Daytona 200 to capture this important 'pit stop' and wanted to share the event with you:

Attachments

• 2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 115.jpg
    2012 Toys-Tots_2013 Dania_2013 Daytona 115.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back