DD clutch mod question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from a quick 25 mile run to test it out. Its ALIVE now!!! Cant believe how much slippage there was in the stock clutch. Its so responsive to the quick release of the clutch. The pull really isnt as bad as most say it is. I really dont think its that much more for pulling, but we shall see when I get some more miles on with this setup. I will ride to work tomorrow and test her out on the highway. I should have done this a long time ago......

I did the DD mod and used my old slipping plates plus a weak spring out of another 85. I have noticed a lot of members that have done the DD mod and rode them hard , the DD mod found a weak link in their drive train. I like the DD mod and not advocating against it, I'm just saying it can be rough on the drive train, BEWARE...........

oh yea brother does it ever... figured id tell the tale. power wheelies at 40 mph in 2nd, no problem, pull clutch and rev well into boost territory dump clutch and hold on... did that 2x. was racing a sportbike and hammered a 1-2 shift. took out 2nd gear, bust a tooth off. dammit.

if you ride like a human, DD mod is good, i loved the positive grab. but if you ride like a hooligan (this guy) parts break. i took it out. kept the full disc in the back. the slight slip is the life saver on the rest of your bike if you beat on it.

lost 2 months of riding time but shes all together and hummin just fine once again... thanks to sean for the help and parts.

peace everyone
evan....

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4998.jpg
    IMG_4998.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 50
  • whoops.jpg
    whoops.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 60
oh yea brother does it ever... figured id tell the tale. power wheelies at 40 mph in 2nd, no problem, pull clutch and rev well into boost territory dump clutch and hold on... did that 2x. was racing a sportbike and hammered a 1-2 shift. took out 2nd gear, bust a tooth off. dammit.

if you ride like a human, DD mod is good, i loved the positive grab. but if you ride like a hooligan (this guy) parts break. i took it out. kept the full disc in the back. the slight slip is the life saver on the rest of your bike if you beat on it.

lost 2 months of riding time but shes all together and hummin just fine once again... thanks to sean for the help and parts.

peace everyone
evan....

maybe the pcw or barnett would be your cup of tea?

no ill just keep beating on it and replacing clutch disks. its a 15 minute job, not like a trans...

peace,
evan...

If there is any interest I just picked up 5 DD clutch spring retainers for the Gen 1 Vmax. If not, okay too.
rick rash

Never thought of the designed "weak point" to prevent costly breaks.
On my original bike, I ONLY replaced the 1/2 friction disk with the full friction disk and the clutch was noticeably more positive in its engagement, but not overly so.

You might start there instead of the extra spring..?

On my current bike, the P.O. (previous owner) installed a Barnett clutch, and it feels similarly positive, but provides a slight bit more feedback it seems.

My original clutch started noticeably slipping around 20k miles...whenever you got into boost in 1st,2nd,3rd the motor would rev up faster than the bike picked up speed. It got worse very quickly....from only on hard pulls in 2nd, to just roll-ons in 3rd. Within maybe 500 miles it went from slight annoyance to major issue...couldn't get on the gas at all without it slipping.

I got the PCW kit, which was like $150. Comes with a set of OE Yamaha friction plates, an extra (eigth? iirc) friction to replace the half disc, their heavier spring, a new cover gasket, and directions(bah! who needs em)

Tossed the anti-chatter thing in the back, replaced it with a friction, lightly sanded all the pressure plates, dipped all the frictions in oil before installing, and made the clutch sandwich. The spring fit like OE and everything went together smoothly. No more slipping. Granted, I have a stock motor, so built up ones might need more, but clutch response is night and day better. Dumping the clutch now gives instant burnouts and/or wheelies, where before I could never seem to get the front end off the ground.

The lever pull is supposedly a few lbs heavier than stock. I only notice it if I'm creeping along in traffic and constantly pulling it in and out, and even then it's no big deal. Plus the "feel" of the clutch is pretty much unchanged. Heard the Barnett kit could be kind of "grabby" and annoying to handle around town.

I have a venture drive as well...which probably causes a bit more wear from it slipping a bit more to get going in first.

Back