DD clutch mod question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just performed the DD mod on my '05. Started her up and shifted out of neutral, released the clutch and nothing! It was stuck in neutral? Ok, where have I gone wrong here? Below is the process that I took when performing this task as noted off this forum:

I carefully noted and stocked my clutch plates all up in order for simplistic re-assembly. I pulled out the retaining wire and removed it along with all behind it except the clutch plate. Added the full friction plate back in first oiled up, then the clutch plate and then all the original friction & clutch plates. I made sure specifically all the tabs lined up as they were uninstalled so that the wave grooved tabs were in the exact same place as before. After replacing the spring and adding the second one to tighten down. I used the blue locktite on the 6 clutch retaining screws. I proceed to tighten down until it just started to get snug. I alternated each screw until they were snug. Closed her up and the clutch grip was pumped to 50% pull.

Help surely appreciated at this point!!!

I've met this GREMILM twice - in both cases human mistake was the problem. First I have assembled it wrong, second time where owner gave me venture clutch basket which is slightly diffrent.

with the bike off does the shifter more freely to all gears? i take it you didnt pull the basket out or anything just the plates etc.

how does the clutch lever feel? it should be noticeable harder to pull in, did it grind into first all or feel normal when you shifted to first?

Check that the pressure plate was installed correctly. Take note that the pressure plate has a dot on it to align it. If the dot on the pressure plate is not aligned properly with the basket it will not put pressure on the clutch plates.

Check that the pressure plate was installed correctly. Take note that the pressure plate has a dot on it to align it. If the dot on the pressure plate is not aligned properly with the basket it will not put pressure on the clutch plates.

This is the one that I will be checking first since I didnt take note to that, but I know all my plates are lined up correctly.

Check out this pic. There is a dot on the pressure plate. The dot on the pressure plate lines up with the dot on the inner clutch basket. Kinda hard to see the dot on the clutch basket but its there. Note that the inner basket has a dot on every finger. The one that you align to is different than the rest. It is deeper.

I believe it will also work if you rotate the pressure plate so that the dot is 180 out from the one on the basket.

IMG_0030.jpg

Mike,

Thanks for that picture....I will be looking for that later when I pull the cover and pressure plate.

Thanks again,

I did the DD mod and used my old slipping plates plus a weak spring out of another 85. I have noticed a lot of members that have done the DD mod and rode them hard , the DD mod found a weak link in their drive train. I like the DD mod and not advocating against it, I'm just saying it can be rough on the drive train, BEWARE...........

I don't know how hard you ride but if your use to doing wide open throttle speed shifts from 1st to 2nd don't even think about it with your new spring in place until you've given it some time and learned the feel of it....

I did the DD and fresh plates and snapped my driveshaft in half the 1st time I tried to perform a 1-2 shift at WOT while just blipping/fanning the clutch.......had to learn a whole new clutch, throttle shifter dance with the new set up

Thanks for a heads up, I was hoping to be able to get the front wheel up in 2nd with this mod. Most of the time I ride pretty esay but once in a while someone pulls up next to you, especially on a 600 and gives you "the look" in that case I just can't help myself :biglaugh:. I do have the venture diff but with 17inch wheels I should be back to around stock gear ratio. That should help achieve my goal as well.

for the every day rider i'd say the DD might be a bit too tight, if the PCW is a 1.5x stock spring thats where i would go, given a stock master

I took Joe's great advise and used a spring with 20k on it along with my 28k spring. I don't find the clutch all that difficult to hold in. And, I'm not getting any stronger as the days pass, that's for sure. Great Mod.
Spare shaft? Oh I could see that comming in handy if you power shift a lot with the DD Garrett, iT DON'T SLIP!
Steve-o

Last edited:
ya i got one bike with DD and one with pcw, the DD is cool but the pcw way better, nicer clutch feel, affirmative but not crazy for stop and go traffic like the DD. what ever floats your boat, both cool mods

Ok follow up with my dilemma. I took off the clutch cover and broke it all down again to assure all assembled correctly. It was indeed the pressure plate not being aligned up. I am up and running like a champ.

Thanks everyone for your wisdom!

Back