dead Vmax 07

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbellybill

Reaction score
ok this is the second time she left me stranded and was hoping for some help. I turn the key, power on and no power. battery fully charged and the battery is only a year old. Last time I pulled the battery put it on the charger only to find it fully charged, put it back in and she fired right up.

test the battery for shure to rule it out. then id look for loose or corroded connections in the starting system. ground wires also. does it run well otherwise? if you get it running...check the voltage at the battery (engine running) to enshure proper charging.

Well at least you know that everything works properly and all you have to do is find your little electrical gremlin. Seeing as how you can key on and its like you didnt even turn the key.....I'd check the keyswitch itself. the only other thing I'd be looking at would be all of your ground points and battery lead points..... Clean up all those connections real good and make sure they're tight.

this may be a last resort, but I had a similar problem with my 96. (Drove me crazy for a while!) It would run great for a while and then die without warning. It ended up being a faulty ignitor unit. As soon as I changed it the problem was solved.

The multi-pin connector just after the main fuse has been a known source of agrevation as well. It will head up, and stop connectivity. May cool off, then resume working. Key switches go bad also. Kill switches go bad. Kickstand switches go bad. Clutch switches go bad.

Please give more info when this is occuring. Does the headlight come on at all when happening? Dash lights? If so, which ones? etc...

On my personal ride - the 85 - the clutch switch is being intermittant, as sometimes when I turn on the key, everything on the bike seems perfect, headlight lights, dash lights light, but ZERO happens when the start button is depressed. I quickly giggle the clutch switch, and all is right with the world. No more problems the rest of the ride, but it may, or may not, act up again the next time I turn the key on and go to start the bike.

The multi-pin connector just after the main fuse has been a known source of agrevation as well. It will head up, and stop connectivity. May cool off, then resume working. Key switches go bad also. Kill switches go bad. Kickstand switches go bad. Clutch switches go bad.

Please give more info when this is occuring. Does the headlight come on at all when happening? Dash lights? If so, which ones? etc...

On my personal ride - the 85 - the clutch switch is being intermittant, as sometimes when I turn on the key, everything on the bike seems perfect, headlight lights, dash lights light, but ZERO happens when the start button is depressed. I quickly giggle the clutch switch, and all is right with the world. No more problems the rest of the ride, but it may, or may not, act up again the next time I turn the key on and go to start the bike.

If you can remember to disengage the clutch when you try to start the bike, then just run a 2" jumper between the clutch switch leads, presto, no-more issues. I have been running that way for quite awhile.

this may be a last resort, but I had a similar problem with my 96. (Drove me crazy for a while!) It would run great for a while and then die without warning. It ended up being a faulty ignitor unit. As soon as I changed it the problem was solved.

It has been reported on here that some CDI boxes have cold-solder joints, and that re-soldering the leads to the board sometimes overcomes a poor connection. It doesn't cost anything, and may work.

If you can remember to disengage the clutch when you try to start the bike, then just run a 2" jumper between the clutch switch leads, presto, no-more issues. I have been running that way for quite awhile.

Jerry-rig a jumper on my OEM 85? omg_sign.gifShocked.gif Surely you must be kidding. That switch is there for a reason, and if it gets worse, I'll put a new one on rather than bypass it. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-medic

Jerry-rig a jumper on my OEM 85?
attachment.php
attachment.php
Surely you must be kidding. That switch is there for a reason, and if it gets worse, I'll put a new one on rather than bypass it. lol

he's not kidding, Jeff.
.....and don't call him Shirley......

"How soon can you land this plane?"

"I can't tell!"

"You can tell me....I'm a doctor."

"No, I mean I just don't know."

"Can you take a guess?"

"Not for at least another 3 hours."

"You can't take a guess for at least another 3 hours?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire-medic

Jerry-rig a jumper on my OEM 85?
attachment.php
attachment.php
Surely you must be kidding. That switch is there for a reason, and if it gets worse, I'll put a new one on rather than bypass it. lol

he's not kidding, Jeff.
.....and don't call him Shirley......

Or "jury-rig?"

You say po-tay'-to, I say, puh-tah'-toe.

"Airplane" just made-fun of "Airport" and disaster movies. It rejeuvenated Leslie Nielsen's career, though I always liked him the best w/this 'supporting actor,' who wasn't even alive:
images

I think you are mixing allusions, it's "jerry-built, and "jury-rigged." The former is associated with poor construction and execution, the latter is akin to what sailors refer to as a "flying-fix," something ingenious to get-out of a predicament or jam, and to 'carry-on' to port, where a permanent repair can be done.

Me? I sometimes see out of the corner of my eye, the jumper, waving slightly in the breeze, which becomes more-pronounced as I VBoost.

Here is an example of a 'jerry-built' warboat:
images

Some significant firepower, but itself terribly-vulnerable.

I had to wonder if 'jury-rig' comes from the process of actually corrupting the '12 peers' that decide a defendants fate but of course it turned out to be something entirelt different! :ummm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_rig

I always thought it was all the same as "jake-legging" it. :confused2:

I have something similar happening on occasion with my 94. There are times when I turn the key, fuel pump clicks and then when I hit the start key I get nothing but a "click", I can wait a sec, bite my tongue, curse at him and then he will start right up and run like a beast. I plan on doing the R/R rewire and going though my wiring system, on top of cleaning my ignition and a few other things this winter.

Back