Digital Voltmeter; Gauge pod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams21ams

Reaction score
OK. I've been drooling over Lankey's gauge pod since last summer, but without the cash...........no tickee, no shirtee!:tantrum:

So I decided to just do it myself......

I wanted to keep the factory indicator lamps (why I do not know! - would have been easier to scrap them all and use LED'S). Break out the Dremel!

Gauges needed: IMHO
tach
oil
temp
volts
speedo

Since I can't afford to have someone make me a full setup and didn't want alot mounted on my bars, here's what I did...........
UltraLite oil and temp mounted in pod. I removed stock gauges, and basically carved away the back plastic housing to accomodate them.
I also bought a Datel Digital Voltmeter .. http://www.datelmeters.com/cgi-bin/...v123889501991&command=link--dcvoltmeters.html
There aren't too many places for it on our bike so again I carved away at the plastic...see pix...
Here's another link on the DATEL mounted on other bikes
http://fjr1300.info/howto/datel.html

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74693

http://www.themeterstore.com/datel-voltmeter-for-motorcycle-battery-monitor-44-c.asp

I went with CopRunner's LED mod a couple weeks ago......figures all the LED's I got do not fit the new gauges! (superbrightleds here I come again.
I wanted all blue but settled for red, the new gauges came with red covers and I cheaped on the voltmeter and went with red......red it is!

Lastly will be a pro cycle 3 3/4 tach (model 19202) which will be coming from Summit next week........

Here's the pix, hope you all like.

Attachments

• DSCF0221.jpg
    DSCF0221.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCF0263.jpg
    DSCF0263.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 182
  • DSCF0260.jpg
    DSCF0260.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 177
  • DSCF0249.jpg
    DSCF0249.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF0242.jpg
    DSCF0242.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF0239.jpg
    DSCF0239.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 150
  • DSCF0227.jpg
    DSCF0227.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCF0224.jpg
    DSCF0224.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF0222.jpg
    DSCF0222.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCF0217.jpg
    DSCF0217.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 145
  • DSCF0266.jpg
    DSCF0266.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thank you.
I would have liked flush mount, but there's no room so I rear mounted, that's why there is a lip.
I kinda rushed it and I wish I was better with the dremel!

I just bought a beat up gauge cluster from Fleabay - $10! (plus 15 for shipping!).
Maybe during the summer I'll spring for a blue Datel display and do it again. They wanted an extra 20 bucks for the blue one! (red was 30?).

Very nice! :thumbs up: I like the addition of the voltage meter.

Great idea:clapping:, I'm going to have to take mine apart now. :bang head:

Attachments

• gauges4.jpg
    gauges4.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 89
KJ..you were my inspiration for the wrap! I'm just returning the favor!
Did you use a mechanical or electrical pressure gauge on yours?
It's a whole lot easier without wrestling with the braided line (yeah...I went mechanical):bang head:

KJ..you were my inspiration for the wrap! I'm just returning the favor!
Did you use a mechanical or electrical pressure gauge on yours?
It's a whole lot easier without wrestling with the braided line (yeah...I went mechanical):bang head:

The wrap looks great! do you have any bigger pictures of it? I went with a mechanical oil pressure gauge as well.

The wrap looks great! do you have any bigger pictures of it? I went with a mechanical oil pressure gauge as well.

How much did you pay for the braided line? Do you remember?
I got robbed!!! $65.00 for 42"!!! oh- he threw in the flair coupler!

Here's the wrap...by the way, I actually went with your picture "Under the Blues" by Royo....my sign guy did a small decal - he didn't understand "wrap"!. Then I changed my mind and went with this one.

Attachments

• DSCF0158.jpg
    DSCF0158.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCF0154.jpg
    DSCF0154.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCF0155.jpg
    DSCF0155.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF0153.jpg
    DSCF0153.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 72
Looks sweet. I didn't go with a braided line, I went with a plain ol black line. It was half the price of the braided. I was quoted for about $60 up here for a braided.

I figured a good chunk of it wouldn't be seen, so I chose a black line.

Been thinking about changing my wrap. I'm leaning hard towards this one.

Attachments

• Dark Words - royo.jpg
    Dark Words - royo.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 63
Looks sweet. I didn't go with a braided line, I went with a plain ol black line. It was half the price of the braided. I was quoted for about $60 up here for a braided.

I pay around 55.00+ tax for the braided oil line.. warning dont use the black high pressure plastic they arent that realible and if they break you have 60PSI of oil pressure squirting every where./... Use the 1/8 copper or steel.

Very nice work..this was also in the cards for me and I like the set up/design you have. I also want to do an LED tailight at some point sort of a modified Monstermax design..anyone ever make there own LED board like the Monstermax one?

warning dont use the black high pressure plastic they arent that realible and if they break you have 60PSI of oil pressure squirting every where./... Use the 1/8 copper or steel.

It's not plastic, Just a black oil pressure line I got a great deal on. Similar to this one c'ept longer.

Attachments

• 100_0920.jpg
    100_0920.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 55
I think that it may be SS braided, just shrink wrapped w/ black............? - To protect frame........it's what I should have had done.

--------------------------------------

Where do you guys have these 'wraps' made? I have a photo I have been wanting to do on my VMax for years (also a Luis Royo actually) but not sure where to get one done. I had version of it done though skinit.com for my wife's kindle and it came out perfect but how do you get one that fits the Faux Tank

Back