directional options

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilD

Reaction score
Post up pics of your rear directionals, I hate the stock ones and one has a cracked stem, I love the look of LEDS but hate eletrical work so i will probably go with a regular buld.

Post up pics of your rear directionals, I hate the stock ones and one has a cracked stem, I love the look of LEDS but hate eletrical work so i will probably go with a regular buld.

Maybe Coprunner will chime in here, he's got a dynamite set of directionals on his '06, and has both front & rear set up to be both directional and running lights.

They are LED, but he has the resistor thing all figured out and could talk you right through it. Or I will cause I'm going to do the same set-up he has soon.

BTW, he went with bulbs initially and still had to install resistors cause the bulbs were low voltage (or something like that) so keep an eye out for that issue.

Maybe Coprunner will chime in here, he's got a dynamite set of directionals on his '06, and has both front & rear set up to be both directional and running lights.

They are LED, but he has the resistor thing all figured out and could talk you right through it. Or I will cause I'm going to do the same set-up he has soon.

BTW, he went with bulbs initially and still had to install resistors cause the bulbs were low voltage (or something like that) so keep an eye out for that issue.
good to know about sregualr bulbs. thanks. i really dont' want to mess with the electrical in a 21 year old bike.

Instaling the leds is not that scary and well wotrh of it.
I just saved 35W on only rear ones and about 40W on the tailLight.

Look here:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8130

I have a nice set of Halogen bulb mini stalk blinkers. Check out the garage for pics of them.

Gary McCoy can get them... I had him order me another set as I broke one off in my lowside. I was actually able to thread it back in and reuse it and it looks like nothing ever happened... Odd... Goes to show you that sometimes the cheapest are best... lol They aren't the best blinkers on the market (not close) but they're black with clear lens's and I didn't have to dick around with the electricals to make them work.

Keep in mind they are single filament bulbs so you lose your running lights.

Chris

here;s what i did for my 97. not legal in vermont, so i have to put the stock rear fender on and a cheap set of fronts to get it inspected. rear leds positioned to show thru the mv agusta rear tailsection. fronts are led turn arrows located in the scoops. its been a while since i did these, but i do have the info somewhere if its needed.

later odieoh24

Attachments

• 569.jpg
    569.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 571.jpg
    571.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 53
  • 593.jpg
    593.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 594.jpg
    594.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 46
only thing i gotta say, which people i'm sure have worekd around, is that if u run a lower wattage bulb it will pretend its blown unless you throw a resistor inline (i believe)... my brother just ran into that issue going from a 27w to a 2w bulb on his 81 virago.

looks like it's for newer bikes, mine is a '88

All Applications: If your existing flasher relay is a two wire flasher relay (or a three wire with a ground wire), and you have access to it, you can replace it with our flasher relay as follows:
  • <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Red wire on ELFR-1 to power source (ignition switched +12v)
  • Black wire on ELFR-1 to load (blinker lamps/ blinker switch)

All Applications: If your existing flasher relay is a two wire flasher relay (or a three wire with a ground wire), and you have access to it, you can replace it with our flasher relay as follows:
  • <LI style="TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Red wire on ELFR-1 to power source (ignition switched +12v)
  • Black wire on ELFR-1 to load (blinker lamps/ blinker switch)
It will not work without turn singal light modification.
I've already tried with many difrent signal relays.

Stock realy is 3 wire and already electronic one and will work with LED's.
I dont now if there was changes with ralay on years.
Mine 99 is 3 wire.

Got my lights in the mail friday, ok quality, didn't expect much, maybe a little better quality than i expected. Only complaint is the leads were a touch on the short side. used some washers becase the threaded area is a bit smaller than the originals. They work great , no modification needed, i will probably order a set for the front also

Attachments

• oldnew.jpg
    oldnew.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 42
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 42
Got my lights in the mail friday, ok quality, didn't expect much, maybe a little better quality than i expected. Only complaint is the leads were a touch on the short side. used some washers becase the threaded area is a bit smaller than the originals. They work great , no modification needed, i will probably order a set for the front also
In this setup it will work if you still have bulb type in the front.
Problems starts when you change all of them to led type...you will see.

With stop tails like that you should have just wired them up to blink... It'd still be legal...

Chris

Back