Do the front rotors fit on the rear brake?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefly

Reaction score
My original rear rotor was bent by a shop changing a tire so I bought a wave galfer rotor, I really don't like it and would like to put a front rotor for the rear brake are they the same size? will it fit or not?
Thanks
________
starcraft II replay

Last edited:
Will not fit. Is much too big in diameter and should NOT be used. With a bigger rotor, you will lock up the back wheel quicker that's why it's smaller to begin with.

As was pointed out by Mark, you really should specify the year.

For 92 and older the right front I think it is (look at the arrows on the rotor) is the same as the rear. They are directional so you don't want to swap a left to a right though they look the same. They are done that way to help with the cooling (look at the internal fins which pull air in).

If it's the 93 or newer then the front is not a direct fit though you can adapt one over. Also they are interechangeable from side to side.

Locking up the rear brake is a simple matter of learing braking control. You can lock up a front wheel with just one of the brake calipers working too but that doesn't mean that going with a larger brake system isn't better. It simply allows you more control.

Besides, you could get a manual proportioning valve and install it if you wanted to cut back on the braking power if you have problems locking up regularly.

Sean Morley

one2dmax said:
As was pointed out by Mark, you really should specify the year.

For 92 and older the right front I think it is (look at the arrows on the rotor) is the same as the rear. They are directional so you don't want to swap a left to a right though they look the same. They are done that way to help with the cooling (look at the internal fins which pull air in).

If it's the 93 or newer then the front is not a direct fit though you can adapt one over. Also they are interechangeable from side to side.

Locking up the rear brake is a simple matter of learing braking control. You can lock up a front wheel with just one of the brake calipers working too but that doesn't mean that going with a larger brake system isn't better. It simply allows you more control.

Besides, you could get a manual proportioning valve and install it if you wanted to cut back on the braking power if you have problems locking up regularly.

Sean Morley

Sean that sounds interesting,what is the manual proportioning valve? can you get me an early rotor that will fit on my 03 rear and get me the valve that you are describing? let me know how much I am very interested.
Thanks
________
BMW OHV V8 engine history

Last edited:
firefly said:
Sean that sounds interesting,what is the manual proportioning valve? can you get me an early rotor that will fit on my 03 rear and get me the valve that you are describing? let me know how much I am very interested.
Thanks

You already have the early rotor on your rear. It's about the only thing that was kept the same in the braking when they upgraded the parts in 1993.

Now you can adapt a later model front rotor to the rear but that requires a custom adapter that I think at the moment is availble only from overseas (I could be wrong).

However, the stock rear is fine for most. I have worked mine hard enoguh to have it fade completely out but It was in extreme riding conditions and the rotor was even glowing. You can see the paint is even burnt from it. This just happened in Eureka Springs this year while I was keeping up with the sportbike guys running the curves. I had to use "trail" braking so much it simply boiled the fluid in the caliper and I had to let the system cool down. We had been pushing it hard for 30 miles or so and it still took the rest of the group 20 minutes to catch up.

You can get a manual proportioning valve from nearly any performance oriented auto parts store.

Go to SummitRacing.com and enter proportioning in the search bar. It will pull up a few different brands ranging from $35 and up. All basically do the same job. Put it in line with your current brake line and adjust one click at a time until you get the pressure you want.

Here's how you set it.

You start with the valve open. Find your roads and get to speed. Apply the brake enough to get it to lock up. Then adjust one or two clicks at first and retry. Keeping closing the valve one click at a time until the amount of braking you want is achieved. It is possible to make it so that the brakes won't lock at all but will be just under the threshold.

now here's the tricky part. This only works on the surface you are on. Any change in the surface would require a new adjustment. So if you set it up on good dry concrete where it is one click from being able to lock up (ideal setting) then you change surfaces (like it rains or go to blacktop) then it will be able to lockup again. If you set it to a very slippery surface then you won't have as much braking power as possible for the better roads.

You can almost make marks on the valve and change your settings quickly if you have your favorite roads you ride on.

Let us know how it works for you if you decide to try it.

Sean Morley

Back