Don't blast me

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradnw

Reaction score
I have a Valiyrie, 3rdGen Magna and recently acquired a 2006 VMax with less than 12 k on the odo. After much work any many questions ( thanks Sean) and lots of parts lol it is finally running great. I took it for a short test ride and v-boost at 6k and up was disappointing. Please make any suggestions I am willing to try almost anything to get the kick in the gut acceleration described by many others.

Thanks.

Brad

You may have to adjust the cable on the Vboost. Your butterflies might not be opening all the way. Also, IMO, when vboost starts to kick in people have different feelings. It's pretty subjective. To some it's blah, others see the second coming of Christ.

Also a good carb sync is never a bad idea.

Have you tried revving the engine and watching the Vboost cable to visually make sure it's working?? Possibly could have a bad controller...

Are you sure all 4 cylinders are firing? Start it up cold and touch each exhaust pipe lightly starting with the rear. You have to do this very quick because the pipes that are firing get hot quick. If you have an infrared heat sensor gun that would even be better.

Are you sure all 4 cylinders are firing? Start it up cold and touch each exhaust pipe lightly starting with the rear. You have to do this very quick because the pipes that are firing get hot quick. If you have an infrared heat sensor gun that would even be better.

Mist some water from a spray bottle on the pipes by the heads to see which ones are firing by how-quickly the water evaporates. Less trauma involved. I'm not as-tough as Joe!:biglaugh:

Will it open in neutral? At 6k

yes it will.

it will only start to open. fully open is around 8k.

does it self test when you turn the key to on?

what kind of fuel mileage are you getting?

I will test the rpm /open tomorrow in the garage

It does open and close at power on

Not completely road ready ( tires , turn signals lots of clean up

Thanks

393x525

"What do you mean, my VBoost isn't working correctly?"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/boynton-beach/fl-boynton-jewelry-20130325,0,5345245.story

A lot of these boys wait for it to cycle then unplug it while its open as an easy "full time boost". Make sure its plugged in first and foremost. Also check for random switches the previous owner might have overidden the silinoid too. If you don't hear it cycle it likely doesn't work.

What you have described is no v-boost.
Check the cable is moving is the first step.
Actually, check to see if the v-boost servo cycles when you turn the key on. It will make whirring noises from under the faux tank.

What you have described is no v-boost.
Check the cable is moving is the first step.
Actually, check to see if the v-boost servo cycles when you turn the key on. It will make whirring noises from under the faux tank.

You could also look to see:
  1. it's plugged-in, as was suggested. The round plug on the plastic piece holding numerous electrical connections, under the left side scoop
  2. it's working (the cable is pulled-taut [tightened] as you turn-on the ignition. Look for this, much easier to see if you have individual pod air filters. Or, look for the bellcrank to-which the VBoost motor is connected, to move, causing the VBoost assembly butterflies to rotate 90 degrees, which is full-open. You should be able to see the butterfly linkage pivot even w/the stock airbox, I bet. Mine has the pods, so I don't really recall.
  3. underway, the wrinkles in your face smooth-out when you enter a new space-time continuum as the tach sweeps past 7000 rpm, headed for redline:rofl_200:

In regards to vboost.. I got my vmax last may and rode all summer into fall. The boost was nice but even for a new rider like me, I wasn't blown away by it. Fast forward to two weeks ago from today. .

I went out for a ride, first one of the year, went into boost and I was floored! My max never pulled that hard before! I dont know if it was the cooler air or what, but dang! Just strange to me becuase I was out in late fall with colder air and i dont remember it pulling that hard before. But whatev.. no complaints here! I love my max and the boost!

The solenoid, and the Controller were replaced as part of the restore.... The valves open and close as port of the initial power on, I will check at 6k to see if they open properly this afternoon, did not want to wake the neighborhood at 6 am.

If you're used to riding stuff like literbikes, then the v-boost hit won't seem like that big of a deal, the top end punch of an inline can easily match or best the "surge" of power vboost gives. If you're used to a 250 then it will probably seem pretty dramatic.

The Valk and Magna are no dogs but I'd think the Vmax should easily be quicker than either. The Valk is too heavy and the Magna is well short on power in comparison.

I noticed as I had my Max longer I kind of got used to the power, and didn't really notice the vboost as much anymore.

Latest posts

Back