Don't hate me...but i'm thinking about getting rid of max...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were to go with a triumph rocket, i'd without a doubt just keep the vmax. It's the best possible "cruiser" style bike by a long shot in my opinion. I'm just getting the urge for better handling like I had previously. Since I've already had an fz1, i'm debating a z1000. We'll see though. Not too worried if I have to keep it ;)

Fair enough. The rocket is a great cruiser, but light and nimble it is not. My suggesting anytime somebody considers selling a bike is the following: Buy the new bike before selling the old one, keep both in the garage for a few months, and if you find that you are not using one, then sell it.

Sometimes you'll abandon one of your machines. Other times, you find that you are torn between them, which means the right thing to do is to simply keep both :)

now THAT would be nice:) I've already got two other cars and my wifes car. So not only do I not literally have the room in the garage, I can't afford to have a daily driver and then three fun vehicles.

I love both! There is no sensation like riding a bike though, that's for sure. However, having a car that's faster than your bike gets the adrenaline going as well!

Ahh hell... Buy a used SV650 or 1000 as a second bike. Both are great bikes an handle very well when setup. Plus that twin power is AWESOME in the twisties!

Chris

honestly, i'm kind of considering going back to an fz1 type of bike. looking for a sport touring sort. i still love the max but am not sure.

I have been thinking about getting rid of my ZX-9R and getting a VMAX but this is exactly why I keep putting it off. I just keep thinking the experience might not live up to my expectations. I don't corner much on the 9 anymore (no twisties around here) but I'm worried I'll have regrets anyway. Not to mention the fact that I've never even driven a VMAX.

HDKILA - How are you liking the FZ? Do you miss anything about your old bike?

Straight line speed, comfort, and sound you won't be upset with on a vmax. If you don't have any good twisties around there, then the vmax is perfectly suited for you!

I've got an 02 ZX9R and it is far faster but the Vmax is more comfortable, is different then the tupperware bikes, and flat sounds better.

Sean

Just got in from a 150mi ride w/ my 10yr old son on my 98 TL1000S. What a great bike! The stk rear shock is junk and i replaced it w/ a used Penske shock kit i found SUPER cheap on Ebay($200!). Wonderful transformation vs a stk rear damper that was wornout. The bike weighs in around 450lbs and handles GREAT! Mine has Heli bars up front, a corbin seat, Remus carbon fiber slip-ons, PCII, K&N and a modded airbox. Quite powerful. Makes right at the same hp to the rear wheel as a V-max w/ pipes/jetting. Wonderful sound. My favorite part is having a good upper fairing(i've got a double bubble). I REALLY like having a fairing up front v/s some fly screen.
You might consider one of the TL's. Great bikes IMO. Lots of mods can be done too...

Thanks for the comments! I've always liked the tl1000/sv1000 as well. Great nimble bikes with nice engines! however, something has always attracted me towards the z1000. I just love the menacing looks and have always wanted one. Hopefully I can get a trade deal with one. If not, eventually someone will see the great value in my Vmax and snatch it up!

Dam! This thread is back! I still love the FZ1 and am keeping it! It does everything so well and looks great!

Good luck with the sale.

Abe

z1000 has the zx9r motor, thats really the bike i'm leaning towards. We'll see how it works out.

having owned both a ZX9 and a Z1000 (2007) I can only say that the Z1000's motor is based on the ZX9 and not a ZX9 motor. First off, it's bigger. (953ccs) and considerably less powerful.

The forte of the Z1000 is its brakes and handling. The motor is hum drum IMO. It looked killer though.

Yeah it needs the zx9r cams/valvetrain/flywheel and zx10r throttlebodies...then it's about 150whp!

I liked the riding position of the FZ1. The new Z1000 looks nice too. I chose the 1250 Bandit...overall it is a great bike for solo or 2-up riding and the standard hard luggage is a bonus.

Blaine

I think the brand new Z1000 looks a bit odd compared to the old ones. i think it might be the short tail section or something. The 07-09 are my favorite, followed by 03-06 and then the new one.

Grande Bandits are nice bikes too! Lots of low end torque!

dollars to HP, you cannot beat a B12. I've had two. (first gens) Bought one for $2500 that was already a stage I. Went to stage III filters/jets/needles and got a set of GSXR1100 camshafts for $150 and I had a 130hp/80ftlbtq monster that would stand on one wheel @ 70mph in second. Loved it!

Back