Don't hate me...but i'm thinking about getting rid of max...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
285117946_4face659a5_o.jpg

Great looking bikes, Mr. Pickles! My friend Tom also had a B12 after his Max died. He did the cams, jets, exhaust and loved it. Tom said he never missed the Max a day afterwards!

The 1250 bandit is a bit different; it has the 6-speed with EFI but makes the same horsepower and it's also a fair bit heavier than the last gen B12.

I'm going to enjoy her stock for a while before I attempt any mods but I've seen that Dale Walker has already modified a 1250 and got over 130 RWHP and 90+ lbs of torque.

Fun stuff!

Blaine

I'm a bit of a speed nut. Which would be better of the two for speed? I'd really want to buy one with the cam swap already if I did find one. Nice looking bikes pickles!

The B-12's are something i have a good deal of experiance with. I've owned two 01 S models(with the upper fairing). Loved them. The motors are bullet proof and motor parts from the 88-92 GSXR1100's bolt right on. Can find ported heads cheap, and overbores are aplenty. Common are 1216cc which just requires an overbore and some pistons slapped on.
As was mentioned, simple stuff like jet kit/pipe and GSXR750 or 1100 cams(89 model) are literally bolt-ons. Can make 125-130rwhp and run 87 pump all day. Add a bore kit and your around 140-150rwhp. Ported head and you can break 160rwhp with the right setup. Many options on clutches as well. Busa rear shocks are a bolt-on upgrade and are super cheap. If you don't like the handle bars, you can pickup some Honda Blackbird clip-ons for a more sporiter feel.
Those bikes can be setup to carve corners very well or even sport tour w/ a back rest and saddle bags.
My first one i added GSXR1100 cams/ Holeshot jet kit/pod filters/ignition advancer/ and a Holeshot pipe. Also had a Busa rear shock and made some adapters to bolt on a Busa 6" wide rear wheel(same style as stk wheels). Gearing was 3 up on back. Lowered and strapped i was able to knock off some 6.5's @ 106-108mph in the 1/8 at stk wheelbase. Thats about 10.2's in the 1/4. Was able to 60' as low as 1.60 and the bike was DEAD consistant. Made 13 passes one day with passes ranging from 6.58-6.65.
My second Bandit was a lil more drag oriented. Had 200rwhp on motor alone(very streetable). Stretched and lowered. Dyna 2000 ignition, Keihin 41mm Carbs, etc. Was 1340cc and could run on pump. Only ran it a few times at the track(initially had clutch problems) but managed a 9.10 @ 149mph on motor. No tuning and DA was over 3100ft. Would have easly beena 8.8sec ride w/ decent air if i had time to tune and work on launch. Bike was at 62" wheelbase.
With the economy like it is, those "oil cooled" parts are real cheap. Can't go wrong no matter what you wanna do with it...

Almost forgot, simple draw-through turbo kits are not hard to find and are pretty cheap as well. You a speed nut? A Turbo Bandit w/ 185-200 rwhp on pump outta get yer juices flowing! That can be done with a stk bottom end/ stk cams/ stk head...

Ok, let me clarify. I'm a speed nut to a certain degree...lol! I wuold like to run 10's at my altitude (5800ft elevation, usually over 7000ft DA). I would like to beat anything up to a newer liter (as in, not beat them but everything slower than them i do beat). The FZ1 was a nice bike for this but I like to switch up (obviously). The Bandit really has me thinking! If the cams are literally bolt ons...that's tempting! What about valvetrain components like springs and such? those necessary with the cam swap?

stock valve springs are fine. B12s also have screw type adjusters. Valve adjustments are easy. The nice thing about B12s is how the motor hits. Torque is insane @ low RPM and once the breathing is opened up they make great power up top. They aren't overly fast but get where they are going very quickly. I also had CBR1100 clip ons mounted on one of mine. You just have to grind off the alignment notch on the clip on. Easy mount.

mid 130's horse and around 90 torque would be my goal with a bandit. Seems pretty simple with what i've mentioned above. Eventually port the head for good measures ;)

Why bother having one ported?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GSXR...0312409QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I'm telling ya, you can pick this stuff up cheap and just bolt it on!

Many other tricks on those motors. Wanna break 130 to the wheel with a stk motor and bolt-ons? Pick up a 89 GSXR750 slingshot head. Drop it on the B-12 as-is. Comp goes from 10:1ish to 11.0-11.5:1 and the ports are straighter. Same size valves as the B-12/GSXR1100. Has screw type adjusters so its easy. Drop in the GSXR750 or GSXR1100 cams(89-90). Pipe/jet kit and pods and yer there! Won't need to upgrade carbs till you break 150rwhp.
There are a few things to be aware of when swapping heads, but its all bolt-on stuff. The GSXR's had a true roller cam chain. The B-12 does not. So when swaping cams, just be sure to bolt on your B-12 gears. Could'nt be easier for that. You can slot them yourself and have adjustment to degree them in if you like. I did'nt on that bike. When swapping the GSXR head, just be sure to swap over the cam chain slippers and such. No problemo. GSXR1100 cyl will bolt right on as well. Pick up one thats already bored and your good to go. The GSXR's and the bandits all have iron cyl sleeves so boring is easy and cheap. You can go up to a 1277cc(i did on my first one) using the stk cyl and not have to bore the cases or the larger sleeves. Any larger and you need to have the cases bored(easy at a machine shop.
Pretty much stay away from the earlier "slabside" motors(85-88). The 89-90 heads have screw type cam adjusters. The 91-92's have shim type heads and require specific cams for that type of head. Still very useable though some think the shims will spit out with very large cams. I would'nt be afraid to use them if i found a deal on the head.
Can bolt-on USD forks from 92-up GSXR's if you use the tripples(bolt right up). If you want USD from a Busa, thats easy too. Just press out your stk stem from your triples and press it into the Busa tripple and bolt the complete front end on.

Check out www.maximum-suzuki.com. Register(its free) and tell them Birdoprey sent ya. LOTS of help there. If you want, you can do a search under my username(Birdoprey) and see around 1000 of my posts since 05 or so. Many helpful guys there. I posted all time slips and mods i did on both bikes.
You can see pic's of my bandit on that site in my posts. Had a post called "The Beast" where i showed my build of the bike in my current avatar on this site.

Here are a few pic's of my first 01 Bandit. I had just gone with a 1277 and ported head/ Keihin 41mm carbs. Also had Busa tripples/GSXR1000 USD forks, Busa rear shock/wheel and a 1 of 2 full Titanium Brock/Hindle exhaust system. Ran 9.4's @ 145ish with a DA over 3500ft. Had clutch problems so my 60's were off almost a tenth from the previous week. Bike was right at 60" long. Would have run some 9.2's if my 60's had been where they should. Not bad for a cheaply built street bike. The black nekkid B-12 in the foreground of one of the pics was up for sale a month or so ago. I'm sure they guy would have taken 3000-3200 for it. It was a 9.5sec bike and could be ridden anywhere. 1216cc/ported head/cams. Fast and clean! I can check to see if he still has it if you like...
I think my old 200rwhp Bandit is for sale.(the one in my avatar). I think the guy was asking $5500 or so for it. Makes me sick...!

Attachments

• PMRA 013.jpg
    PMRA 013.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 209.jpg
    Picture 209.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 211.jpg
    Picture 211.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 38
  • PMRA 024.jpg
    PMRA 024.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 43
those bikes look fantastic! Thank you for the PLETHRA of information! Going to prove to be very useful indeed. You've really got me leaning towards one of them! I'm actually registered on that board already but don't have access to posting in the for sale ads. You think they'd let you post for me? Saying there is a guy on the vmaxforums that's interested in a trade deal? If not i completely understand.

Thanks again for all the info! I'll keep bugging you i'm sure.

And if that naked b12 is still for sale, tell him i've got a trade deal for him ;)

Here are a few pic's of my first 01 Bandit. I had just gone with a 1277 and ported head/ Keihin 41mm carbs. Also had Busa tripples/GSXR1000 USD forks, Busa rear shock/wheel and a 1 of 2 full Titanium Brock/Hindle exhaust system. Ran 9.4's @ 145ish with a DA over 3500ft. Had clutch problems so my 60's were off almost a tenth from the previous week. Bike was right at 60" long. Would have run some 9.2's if my 60's had been where they should. Not bad for a cheaply built street bike. The black nekkid B-12 in the foreground of one of the pics was up for sale a month or so ago. I'm sure they guy would have taken 3000-3200 for it. It was a 9.5sec bike and could be ridden anywhere. 1216cc/ported head/cams. Fast and clean! I can check to see if he still has it if you like...
I think my old 200rwhp Bandit is for sale.(the one in my avatar). I think the guy was asking $5500 or so for it. Makes me sick...!

Awesome looking bikes!

$5500 for a 200 RWHP Bandit IS sick. $3000-3200 for a mid-9-sec bike sounds like a steal! I'm looking forward to seeing more user mods to the 1250 Bandit.

Thanks for all the info, Birdoprey.

Blaine

Back