dont want to kill it. advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegetta58

Reaction score
Just got out and rode my 2001 Vmax really for the 1st time. Man when the V-Boost kicks in awesome. It seems to kick in around 6300-6500rpm then by the time its feelin good its red lineing(I think things were a little blurry). I want to have a dependable bike so I dont want to over do it too much. Anyone got advice on max rpms/shift times. Thanks. The bike didnt come with a owners manual so i cant look there.

Keep it UNDER 9000rpm at all times and you should be ok. These motors do not like being revved to 10000+, they will break.

I have both Owner's and Service manuals in PDF form, giz your email and I'll send them both to you! :clapping:

Just got out and rode my 2001 Vmax really for the 1st time. Man when the V-Boost kicks in awesome. It seems to kick in around 6300-6500rpm then by the time its feelin good its red lineing(I think things were a little blurry). I want to have a dependable bike so I dont want to over do it too much. Anyone got advice on max rpms/shift times. Thanks. The bike didnt come with a owners manual so i cant look there.

same as NG said, not much over 9k, 9.5k. a shift light really helps you keep an eye on it. mine is timed so its a 'you should be shifting now' light.

Keep it UNDER 9000rpm at all times and you should be ok. These motors do not like being revved to 10000+, they will break.

I have both Owner's and Service manuals in PDF form, giz your email and I'll send them both to you! :clapping:

Would you mind emailing those to me too? Ill PM you my email.

Would you mind emailing those to me too? Ill PM you my email.

The Service Manual is on page 6 of VMF Links (above) or just click on this:

pdf.gif
Vmax service manual

hi there, i bought a shift light for 40.00 dollars through a jegs catalog for 40.00 bucks it has a dail to program the rpm when the light comes on . i have mine set at 8500 rpm and it keeps me from over red lining the engine to ensure the life of the motor.its cheap and it works. its very good insurance for your engine. although you can pay as much as 500.00 for the top of the line shift light. bottom line is don't over wind the engine. good luck buckridge

For piece of mind I installed a Dyna 3000 ignition only for the rev limiter. One less thing to worry about when things get blurry!

I've often wondered why Yamaha didn't make a rev limiter standard on the Max, because it gathers rpm so quickly, and you have to take your eyes off the road to read the tach.

You can also find the owners manual and the service manual @vmax outlaw pdf format.I took alot of good advice from this forum and I went and bought the Clymer service manual.I paid $30 canadian.I've had it for one day and I have already read from cover to cover.Cheap insurance IMHO!Good luck man Have fun!!!

I have my light set at 9,700, have had it higher, but not any benefit.
When I drag race it I don't anticipate the light, I shift on it so it's probably hitting 10,000+

My Dyna is set at 10,300 or so.

I've got 100's of passes on it, 43,000 miles and never busted anything yet except a driveshaft.

In my experience this engine does just fine to 10,000 rpm.

Miss a shift and overrev the shit out of it and your gonna bust the valvetrain.

To me shifting at 8500 is way to early if your really wide open throttle and trying to get everything out of it you can.

Can't state specifics for the Max, but generally speaking, acceleration will be best when you shift at an rpm high enough so that, when you engage the next gear, the rpm will be at or above peak torque rpm.

Can't state specifics for the Max, but generally speaking, acceleration will be best when you shift at an rpm high enough so that, when you engage the next gear, the rpm will be at or above peak torque rpm.

Exactly!

Even tho' torque peak happens earleir than where I shift, you don't want to shift so early that by the time the clutch reengages in the next gear you've fallen below the peak torque.

I don't know if this makes any sense but "shift on torque in the 1-2 shift and shift on HP for the rest" seems to make sense, that way when you are still trying to accelerate this fat pig your maximizing the torque and once it's up and running down the track you utilize the HP.....

Back