EFI Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Try to retain the V-boost function with the EFI setup?

• Yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So finaly, heres the Toyota Denso inteligent COP.
IMO it will fit into v-max engine and frame without any problem but its need special bracket couse that COP does not sit tight into spark plug.

92976758.jpg

55364929.jpg

Do those COPs require the screw on tip for the spark plugs as-is typical for automotive applications?

And heres the point Mark.
They can be used with or without that small nut at the end of the plug.
But you will not find good holder inside that COP, theres anly one little spring
only for contact the spark plug tip.
Thats why they need to be bolted to valve cover.

Thats the only one bad thing related with those COP's.

Hello All!

Here at last! 600 Suzuki TB's mounted up and on their way to Mark in the morning.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

That is about the coolest looking shit I have ever seen! without digging through the threads what is the mm of the TB's.

Sean

Man Gary, that is some nice work! Seeing the original injectors and their configuration to what they are now is friggin' amazing! The look more at home now than in the original form! :worthy:

Awesome work Gary! I could not have done it. I REALLY appreciate your expertise as well as the countless hrs you've spent messing with them!

Got a lil update on my end. Sean was gracious enough to send me a set of carbs/cables that i could slap on my bike. I figured it would be much better to test the ignition on its own w/o the EFI. Reason being that if there were any issues(and there WILL be!), it would be easier to trouble shoot just the ignition vs the ignition AND EFI!
As a slightly related note, i changed from a Marks 4-2 to a Kerker 4-2-1. My bike still had its centerstand mounts as well as a braced swingarm. Had to cut part of the bracing off to allow it to fit. I was planning to have the arm changed up a bit anyway so its no biggie at the moment. Just needed the exhaust on for the initial fire up. Just got it mounted up tonite.
I also got my manifolds and Sean's carbs bolted up. I still have the stk fuel pickup in the tank so i was able to slap on my stk fuel pump and get it all up and working. Simply unplugged the intake efi pump.
I'm done for the night, but hoping to mess with it a little bit tomorrow night after work. What i lack is slapping on the COP's and then entering the E8 setup info(i accidentally set it all back to default when i was trying to change a map!). Should'nt be a biggie, just hope i remember where i wrote down a couple of things. If all goes well(don't count on it!), i "might" be able to test fire the bike tomorrow night. If that part and some initial testing(in the next few days) goes well, then the GEMS that Gary is sending will go on...!!!

Got a lil update on my end. Sean was gracious enough to send me a set of carbs/cables that i could slap on my bike. I figured it would be much better to test the ignition on its own w/o the EFI. Reason being that if there were any issues(and there WILL be!), it would be easier to trouble shoot just the ignition vs the ignition AND EFI!
As a slightly related note, i changed from a Marks 4-2 to a Kerker 4-2-1. My bike still had its centerstand mounts as well as a braced swingarm. Had to cut part of the bracing off to allow it to fit. I was planning to have the arm changed up a bit anyway so its no biggie at the moment. Just needed the exhaust on for the initial fire up. Just got it mounted up tonite.
I also got my manifolds and Sean's carbs bolted up. I still have the stk fuel pickup in the tank so i was able to slap on my stk fuel pump and get it all up and working. Simply unplugged the intake efi pump.
I'm done for the night, but hoping to mess with it a little bit tomorrow night after work. What i lack is slapping on the COP's and then entering the E8 setup info(i accidentally set it all back to default when i was trying to change a map!). Should'nt be a biggie, just hope i remember where i wrote down a couple of things. If all goes well(don't count on it!), i "might" be able to test fire the bike tomorrow night. If that part and some initial testing(in the next few days) goes well, then the GEMS that Gary is sending will go on...!!!

Hey Mark
How do you like that exhaust?
When do you need that bung for the O2 port?
I have been working all week and will be all next week.
Can have the GF send it priority if you need it soon.
If not it is 18x1.5, might be able to use a short bolt and plug it temporarily.
Plus it sounds like you are going to need your LM-1 back here real soon:whistlin::tantrum:
Think I will have to file a police report and report it stolen :eusa_liar::nyah nyah:

I feel like a kid at Christmas.

Exelent work Gary :punk:

I have exactly the same tb's on my table working with them.
Should be very close to your project but im gonna reuse stock intake manifolds
and also, i have little diffrent linkage but that's not the point.

I have a cbr fuel pump and spare tank, have some sensors and set of inteligent COP's, have tb's and some other things but im suffering from out of time to make some serious working....

Anyway good to hear you again and see some progress :)

As a slightly related note, i changed from a Marks 4-2 to a Kerker 4-2-1. My bike still had its centerstand mounts as well as a braced swingarm. Had to cut part of the bracing off to allow it to fit.

I have to cut out the centerstand bumper from my brand new Mark 4-2-1,
exactly because braced swingarm. No biggie here tho.

Update:

Have been unable to get the stk crank triggers to work. Have tried many different things to no avail. It works perfect w/o the plugs in, but when i install the plugs the timing goes nuts. Turns out that the V-max cranking rpm bounces around due to the odd firing. W/O the plugs in, the rpm only varies by 20 or so rpm so it works fine. With the plugs in, it varies much more and the E8 is confused. The triggers are still detected but the speed at which they come by varies. The rpm signal needs to be more stable since the E8 calculate the timing based on the rpm.
There are a few options that i'll explore so continue to hang tight...

Good to hear some progress :clapping:

Why it makes such a diffrence wihout the plugs connected? :ummm:
Its really strange.

I think problem may be with your Ignition box config.

Lets take that logicly. Why sparking would affect on trigerring?
It not making any sense to me :confused2:

At least using hall semsor and two magnets on the flywheel may be needed.
As was sugested on haltech forum.

Since there is only two triggers(one every 180 deg) on the crank, the E8 is not seeing the rpm change in between the triggers. Its basically not seeing whats actually going on as the motor spins over. It just looks at the time it takes from one trigger to the next and then calculates where the timing should be. The problem is that the rpm is changing between the triggers and thus the calcualted timing is incorrect. The E8 is seeing the triggers, so going with another sensor with the same number of triggers is not gonna help. It may need a mult-tooth trigger setup where is can more accurately see the correct rpm(which bounces around at low rpm).

From the symptoms you describe I would think that the added resistance from the plugs is causing it to slow down.
The slow down/bouncing around and odd firing is confusing the Haltech unit.
Looks like we might need an external trigger :ummm:
Cheers

Since there is only two triggers(one every 180 deg) on the crank, the E8 is not seeing the rpm change in between the triggers. Its basically not seeing whats actually going on as the motor spins over. It just looks at the time it takes from one trigger to the next and then calculates where the timing should be. The problem is that the rpm is changing between the triggers and thus the calcualted timing is incorrect. The E8 is seeing the triggers, so going with another sensor with the same number of triggers is not gonna help. It may need a mult-tooth trigger setup where is can more accurately see the correct rpm(which bounces around at low rpm).
Now i get it.
RPM/trigger angle=Ignition timing. Those first two things must be constant.
Fargo may be right.

What do you say to use 60-2 tooth wheel?
I can modify the flywheel, just give me one :worthy:

I do not want to mess with only one i have :bang head:

From the symptoms you describe I would think that the added resistance from the plugs is causing it to slow down.
The slow down/bouncing around and odd firing is confusing the Haltech unit.
Looks like we might need an external trigger :ummm:
Cheers

I believe your right Fargo, the cyl pressure from the plugs being in is causing the rpm to be more irratic. If the motor were even firing, it would be more stable, but the fact that ours is a very odd firing motor, the cyl pressure is at different places causing the rpm to bounce around.
An external trigger like a 24T wheel might do it. There is a possible option that haltech said i might try. $175 though and not sure if it'll work.

Back