EFI Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Try to retain the V-boost function with the EFI setup?

• Yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks Mark, now I understand it fully.

I've made some serching and there're few sources where i can buy E8
new for 1k$. And found some intresting pics:

haltechecucomparison.JPG

haltecheculineupWM.JPG

It seems that only E8 and E11 can be useed here.
Need to watch ebay, maybe i will have some luck :)

Yeah i saw Fabio/Luca work. Also im familiar wtih Niels work.
But like many mentioned without ignition control you cant control
fuel propertly. When fireing from tacho signal or using wasted 180 dg spark.

Respect to thier work, of copurse im impressed and wish them luck but i doubt that good working EFI cant be done by using MS.
Maybe with next generation like MS4...:confused2:

You can find some tru cop coils over the web:
http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8wgf.htm

What kinda coil driver you using?
I've found only dumb types like Bosh 211.
IMO its better to use coil driver couse you can use preatty any type of coil
there.
Using Dyna3000 as an coil driver would be awsome but doubt its possible.

Is that your deal?
http://cgi.ebay.com.my/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350230069478

I've just read the post on haltech forum posted by you guys. Do not call me spy LOL
Im just reading and learning :D

Last edited:
Yeah, but i'm cheap. Those are $32ish each(shipped) and wiring is more involved. You'll also need connectors for them. I can get the 4ch igniter and a set of dumb cops for less. The tops of those are larger than the dumb cops that i'm using as well. My thing is that the cops i'm using can be seen visibly. The igniter is tucked away.
No biggie, though. Those will work and the Haltech unit will easily control them. Thats the beauty of this setup. Run what ever tickles yer fancy!

I can buy them localy for even cheaper and even go to salvage yard and get connectors for them. You know, it will wont hurt to give a try :D

Firstble i need to get E8 and thats not that simple those days.

GSXR throttle bodies are on the way to me so i can start matching them
to v-max. It seems that i will same some work to do in winter :D

And BTW, ive read E8 manual, play around with Halwin and i must tell ya
that Haltech is the most friendly EMS i've ever seen.
Tons of options and posibilities definitly worth to sepnd 1k$ fo it.

Great find Mark!

Now the most hard thing is to figure how to use post 90' pickup coil :ummm:
I have an spare flywheel so i maybe machine some adapters.
Use 60-2 wheels or 2 magnets for hall sensor?
What do you think?

Doing the pickup on the 90-up will be simple. A little more involved than the pre-90 but simple enough.
What i would do is pull the flywheel(you've got a spare, so this is even easier!). Then find the "bump" that triggers for Cyl #1. There will be a "bump" 180deg from that which corresponds with Cyl#3. Now machine OFF all other bumps. Now, you have two triggers 180deg apart and one corresponds with cyl #1. Swap it out for the one on your bike and button everything else up. This should be all you need for the E8. Thats Basically what i'm doing. On the 90-earlier there is one pickup for each cyl. I'm just using two of those tied together to provide two signals every 360deg(each 180 apart). I also used diodes to keep one from backfeeding to the other p/u coil(on the later ones you won't have this issue). Seems to work great so far. Will know more once i get some TB's to put on here and test fire it. Not sure when that will be though....
If you can source those COP's for cheap, then thats prolly what i would do as well. I'm positive they will work. Just gotta make sure they fit in the head ok.

Doing the pickup on the 90-up will be simple. A little more involved than the pre-90 but simple enough.
What i would do is pull the flywheel(you've got a spare, so this is even easier!). Then find the "bump" that triggers for Cyl #1. There will be a "bump" 180deg from that which corresponds with Cyl#3. Now machine OFF all other bumps. Now, you have two triggers 180deg apart and one corresponds with cyl #1. Swap it out for the one on your bike and button everything else up. This should be all you need for the E8. Thats Basically what i'm doing. On the 90-earlier there is one pickup for each cyl. I'm just using two of those tied together to provide two signals every 360deg(each 180 apart). I also used diodes to keep one from backfeeding to the other p/u coil(on the later ones you won't have this issue). Seems to work great so far. Will know more once i get some TB's to put on here and test fire it. Not sure when that will be though....
If you can source those COP's for cheap, then thats prolly what i would do as well. I'm positive they will work. Just gotta make sure they fit in the head ok.
Thanks for the tips Mark.
Its seems very simple. Im not sure what type of spare flywheel i have, old or new.
Need to figure it out but i suspect its old type.
But i have a friend who have new type so ill try to get one and make some experiments.

In meanwhile i've ordered one toyota cop for about 10$ with shipping.
So i can figure it out that they will fit into v-max head.

I will have my gsxr750 throttle bodies in the next week so that the first thing
i need to handle.

In meanwhile i'll check that toyota(denso) cop and triggers in new type flywheel.

I bealive theres no rush for anyone, well especially for me.
Still lot of things to learn for me.

Turbo,

I ended up calling a guy by the name of Dennis Burgess in Boise, Idaho. He works at a Yamaha dealership there. This guy worked on a special built car that has a landspeed record. Guess what he used a Vmax powerplant.... This guy is amazing! he said that they had a guy build a EFI set up in his garage for the engine... He might be one to talk to.... here is the dealership's # 1-208-888-6565. Please PM me on your discussion.. Would like to know what he has to say....

Scooter

Hey, The 83 , 84 , 85 Venture has the same flywheel as the early Vmax with the 4 pick-ups. I know that it is the same part number until atleast 88' . The salvage yards are pretty reasonable on these. Under 100 bones, it is better than the 600+ for a new one..

Scooter

i've got a crap load of the venture flywheels if anyone wants one. Maybe $50 plus shipping.

Sean

Well guys, i'm sorry for the hold up. Dunno what has happened, but i've not heard anything from Gary since the 16th of last month. He has not even been on this site since the 21st. I hope nothing bad has happened to him or his family.
I'm really wanting to progress on this, but its possible i need to start over on the throttle bodies since i have none to use. I don't have the equipment to do this.
What i've decided to do is to slap on a set of carbs and crank this puppy up. I've done all the testing i can with a motor that has no fuel system and won't spin over 300rpm(with the starter). A forum member has offered me the use of his carbs/cables/airbox(BIG THANKS!). Might have them in a few weeks or so.
This will allow me to test the fully programable ignition with direct firing COPs(non-wasted spark) using the factory crank pickups. If this works, the efi will definitely work. The hard part of Sequential efi/direct firing ignition is the ignition part. Injection times can be off a fair amount and it would hardly affect performance at all, but if the ignition is off by 2-3 degrees it can be noticed. I believe i can use the Haltech ECU to control the factory V-boost valve, which allows me to open it at any time i wish.
At that point, anyone wanting fully programmable ignition(mapped by rpm vs load and can have supplemental advance/retard based on rpm, air temp, coolant temp, load, boost, etc) while running their carb setup would be set and could do it themselves. EFI(once i get that part done) could easily be added at any time. Doing it in two stages might make the swap to EFI/Direct fire not so daunting.
I have spoken with another forum member about possibly looking into the TB setup and he has agreed to take a look at it once i can locate and purchase(the hard part right now for me), and ship more throttle bodies. I've bought quite a few sets already but they are not in my possession....:bang head:

Anyway, i just wanted to give an update as to where i'm at. Was really hoping to be in the tuning faze of this by now.

Need to check with Jeff. I offered to send the parts to save him from taking his beast apart.

Sean

Im sure Gary is ok, maybe he needed brake or holiday...

Anyway im still waiting for that inteligent Toyota COP, i think that seller
wanna trick me. Maybe he need the negative feedback....

Anyway i've ordered another one for another seller.

Meanwhile i have two sets of throttle bodies, one from gsxr 600 and one from 750.

I was trying with 750 first but no much room to fit them. Need to fabricate
special joints ha, very special ones...

But what i've found with 600 bodies might be intresrting. They fit into stock v-max carb boots and its possible to instal them with stock aluminium joints.
I think Mark mentioned this. Posibility to keep the v-boost or just bung it.

But im gonna do a little changes in that stock alu jonts anyway since i have spare ones.

I'm back! Been a crazy month for me and had to put the project on the back burner. Will ship the TB's this week to Mark.

I'm back! Been a crazy month for me and had to put the project on the back burner. Will ship the TB's this week to Mark.

:eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance::eusa_dance:

Glad to have you back Gary!!!!
Hope all is well.

So finaly, heres the Toyota Denso inteligent COP.
IMO it will fit into v-max engine and frame without any problem but its need special bracket couse that COP does not sit tight into spark plug.

92976758.jpg

55364929.jpg

Latest posts

Back